Archinect
anchor

David Blaine

Hasselhoff

That guy sucks.

May 8, 06 11:36 am
liberty bell

Hasselhoff you are definitely giving vado a run for his money in posting hilarious riduclous thread topics.

Couldn't agree more, BTW.

May 8, 06 11:40 am  · 
 · 
adso

I do have to wonder who made that sphere and what material it is.

I want Penn Gilette to show up and urinate in the water.

May 8, 06 11:51 am  · 
 · 
hanimal

speaking of curiosity and urination - if he has to go (1 or 2) does he just go??

and blisters and wrinkle skin after being submerged in water for a week - that's going to look great on live tv.

May 8, 06 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

The sphere is acrylic. I was watching clips on CNN.com this morning. It was GREAT, Kelly Rippa got in there with him! Oh my god, it made my day! Wait, no it didn't. Yeah, Penn should get in there and cut his arms off or something.

May 8, 06 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Just to follow up..again. He only does number 1, into a tube. His hands are totally f'ed. Luckily he said he got so messed up from his starvation thing, that this might be has last trick. WOOT! That guy needs to stick to pulling quarters out of drunk chicks' pockets.

May 8, 06 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

holding your breath for 9 minutes will entail a 2 hour special on TV.

damn inflation. andy warhol's 15 min is now... 3 hours 20 min.

May 8, 06 12:43 pm  · 
 · 

i think the last trick of david blaine's career should involve dying. that would be truly magical.

May 8, 06 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

OK I don't want to think about Davi Blaine anymore but this little coincidence just made me srota sic to my stomach: On the Google news page, the story about the grand finale of his stunt being put into doubt at the critical end moments is immediately above a story about miners trapped in Australia and the frantic attempts to get to them.

Miners, laboring, to put food on their tables, endangering their lives daily for what is probably a tiny paycheck, trapped, for real, while trying to live. David Blaine puts himself in a bubble for his $9 million paycheck. And our fascination with his "suffering" is what pays him.

I agree with dot, I'd like to see the ultimate magical trick of him disappearing. For good.

May 8, 06 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I've been down there to see him, and to tell you the truth, I don't find anything "illusionist" about it. To me it's just a dude in a fishbowl, something I figure anybody could do. As for holding his breath for 9 minutes... that would be impressive, but again not impossible I would think. I just don't find anything special about him. BTW, did any of you guys ever catch the South Park episode where they lampoon him? It was pretty funny.

May 8, 06 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
oe

Why does everyone hate david blane? Hang out in a fishbowl and everyone begs for your death. Kill 40 thousand peole in Iraq and you get reelected.

And Ive never gotten the starving-children-in-africa critique. What the hell does a guy in a fishbowl have anything to do with miners trapped in australia?

May 8, 06 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

oe.

you make the example that david blane is not president bush killing
40k...and then go on to ask what he has to do with miners in australia...what does david blane have to do with gw? the obvious
correllation is that both the miners and blane are trapped which does
make them correllate...and are on the same page of a newspaper...
another correlation.

the fact is that david blane should have nothing to do with either gw or the miners...his
latest trick should be filed under 'entertainment' and doesn't belong on any front page of any newspaper online or otherwise....yet he's
treated like a news event on par with real human suffering that just
happens to be occurring at the same time...

i think alot of the problems people have with blane is that i just don't
see the big deal. i don't ever get the sense that he is in any real
danger..these tricks have been planned for months/years...have been
structurally analysed...etc. etc. i don't put him on the par with others
like huodini for instance...who were actually 'jumping without a net'.

May 8, 06 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i like rick blaine...

the problems of two people dont amount to a hill of beans in this world.

May 8, 06 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
oe

... I think that the way they corrilate, is that to desire for a mans death because hes showboating is absurd, and so is blaming him for men trapped in a mine in australia.

May 8, 06 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
upside

no one is blaiming him, just higlighting his moumental insignificance.

and the miners are free now too.

May 8, 06 7:50 pm  · 
 · 

i think you need to lighten up oe. i'm not REALLY wishing for his death.

my analogy is that blaine is the rich kid trying to look "bohemian"--it's just not cool. human suffering, poverty, starvation is a reality for a lot of people. For blaine it is self-inflicted and petty, not to mention profitable because people watch his 2 hour special.

May 8, 06 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
too many lines!

oooohhhh.... so THAT's what that gooey stuff was on the interior walls of the sphere...... can't believe those girls still dove into that water...

May 9, 06 1:03 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

well I gotta admit .. I was quite fascinated with him in the begining ( remember a couple of years back .. when he would roam the streets and do all thos card tricks!!) but now he's just a task !!

but he does what he does best !! ..

May 9, 06 1:26 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

ohh .. and his skin ... ( especially the palms) .. looks absolutely disgusting !!

May 9, 06 1:31 am  · 
 · 
PsyArch

One of my favourite moments in London was not bothering to go and see Sr. Blaine when he suspended himself from a crane in a perspex box for weeks without food. What was so great about this was that the people who did go threw greasy food and stones, went for his eyes with laser pointers, mercilessly taunted him from the ground. BRilliant.

May 9, 06 6:11 am  · 
 · 
hibz

i wonder what his next stunt would be. maybe getting lost in space then floating his way back to earth. or just getting lost in space? sweet. :)

May 9, 06 6:23 am  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

serious haters about!

May 9, 06 7:01 am  · 
 · 
bigness

panem et circensem

May 9, 06 7:31 am  · 
 · 
myownpath

i'm sure he's an egotist, but i also believe much of his performance is intended to simply bring people together - communitas - which it does. he would make a good architect.

May 9, 06 8:12 am  · 
 · 
oe

^^^ Its alright dot I was just taking the piss.

May 9, 06 10:45 am  · 
 · 
Lisa Carmen

Ok no no no - David blaine kicks ass and I aint gonna back down on that. I saw his special 'Fearless' this weekend past - and DUDE the guy has some kind of fantastic talent. I dont think his death defying stunts of standing in a sphere or a block of ice that wonderful - but u should see his street magic - its some pretty insane stuff.

And the impetus of his art (because if u really look into it i think u'll find that it is), is truly admirable - bringing ppl together - sharing that kind of childlike fascination with many people all over the world - it's really something.

So yeah thats my 2 cents

May 9, 06 11:28 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

i liked his TV specials, street magic and stuff.... his "stunts" now of be buming around suspended in london, or between 2 ice blocks and now, try to hold breath..... i dont get what's the deal w/that stuff.... i think he's buying cheap drugs..... as a magician he's ok, as a "stunt man", we already had the golden age of burt reynolds...

May 9, 06 11:32 am  · 
 · 

i fall in to sleep while he was holding his breath last night. he was in third min. whappen?

May 9, 06 11:39 am  · 
 · 
too many lines!

he took his handcuffs off, then by 6min 30 he started to struggle, bubbles started coming out of him (which is supposedly a sign that he's losing consciousness) so the divers went in and got him. his time was 7 min. 08 sec.

May 9, 06 11:42 am  · 
 · 

wow 7 min. after 7 days in the fish tank. wow. that guy IS boring...

May 9, 06 11:45 am  · 
 · 

well maybe he IS not. but the audiance is.

May 9, 06 11:47 am  · 
 · 

i mean was. jeeezuz...

May 9, 06 11:48 am  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

watching him is like watching the grass growing tournament on espn 8 "the ocho" the follows the paint drying Olympics. how is that entertaining? how many people have been to a party to watch some guy sit in a plastic bowl for a week. it is just stupid

on the other hand,
I do like the fact that Stewart Scott was the announcer.

May 9, 06 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

ok.

so here's what i didn't understand...why the handcuffs...

NOONE in human history has been recorded to not take a breath and
hold it for 9 minutes...NOONE. that's not big enough of an accomplishment?
no let's add in taking off handcuffs...

my theory is is that he realized he'd get nowhere close to nine minutes
weeks ago...and added in a wrinkle to make it more of a magic trick.

i personally would've liked to see how long he coulda gone...
no movement..no chains weighing him down, possibly zapping some
energy...maybe he makes 7:30

i just liked that the doctor was in scrubs and the trainer had 'TRAINER'
written on his arm..just in case it wasn't obvious...that show should've
been fifteen minutes/half hour...

and what was up with his coach talking the entire time...talk about
useless info. ah well i'm a sucker.

May 9, 06 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
Auguste Perret

Does David Blaine remind anyone else of 'A Hunger Artist' by Franz Kakfa?

May 9, 06 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

yeah, i was thinking the same thing...

May 9, 06 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
joed

you guys are all retarded. david blaine is the man.

May 9, 06 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
ross

he's no tony wonder...

May 9, 06 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
mydude1

HEY GUYS,,, Have you heard the news about this guy Curtis Lovell challenging David Blaine?????

Here is the press release on it....
http://mmdnewswire.com/content/view/376/5/

I wonder what David thinks of this, and What stunt could this Curtis guy pull off to out do Blaine????

Maybe he can hold his breath and break the record.......

Jun 20, 06 12:29 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

entertainment - shentertainmant !! ..

damn this idiot box culture !! i'm wasting more time than i usually do !!

Jun 20, 06 2:43 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: