Archinect
anchor

best least known architects in us

jwo

What architects do you know of that are amazing, but lack the the 'networking' and 'presentation' skills to be stars?

I'd like to see some answers that are local to where you are. Are there buildings and spaces that you've experienced that are not well-known?

I really want to see if there is stuff out there that is comparable or greater in quality to highly published works, but gets brushed over because it's coming from a lesser known area or firm.

May 2, 06 10:55 pm
jwo

one example is something i discovered on here a couple of weeks ago, building studio or something from memphis with some house cantilevered over some cliff somewhere. anyway, i had never heard of them but i was pretty taken with them. they were from memphis (i think), which could have something to do with it.

i want to see some really cool stuff that maybe people dont want to be so well known

May 2, 06 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

jwo - you mean Coleman Cokers firm Building Studio. very good stuff.

also check out the early work he did with Sambo Mockbee.

If you are talking non-US i would add East Coast Architects from Durban, South Africa.

May 2, 06 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

In dubai ... I couldn't tell you if there are any good ones .. but I know a lot of them in India ...

I dont know how many of you must have heard of Laurie Baker .. ( Cameron... you must've heard of him atleast... I'm sure.) he's based in South India .. old now.. but comes out with the best low cost architecture.

Laurie on Wiki
philosophy

May 3, 06 3:09 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

oops .. sorry ... didn't see the "US" part on the title ...
oh well ....

May 3, 06 3:29 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

oh mama can this really be the end
to be stuck inside of mobile with the memphis blues again...
enough of the "star" business. god, coleman coker has been around for quite awhile and mockbee/coker were stars, whatever the hell that means.

May 3, 06 5:03 am  · 
 · 
Cameron

spoaradic,
Laurie has some great stuff but I'm a big fan of Bunker Roy. Also check out Balkrishna Doshi (Dr. Doshi) and Charles Correa.

ok, back on topic. probably an obvious one but I really like the single speed design guys.

May 3, 06 8:36 am  · 
 · 
colinrichardson

jwo, i too feel that there is a little known architect within each of us.

May 3, 06 9:58 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

Yeah cameron ... I've met Doshi personally ... ( but it's funny that he's not all that famous considering he was one of corb's favorites) nice chap ... met him at a mud housing workshop.

and correa was probably one of my inspirations to enter architecture.

May 3, 06 10:07 am  · 
 · 
silverlake

Villanova Artigas

Not completely obscure but never got the attention he deserved. The architecture school he did is amazing.

May 3, 06 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
ARCHITKD

Guillermo Garita

http://datumzero.com/

May 3, 06 1:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: