Archinect
anchor

SOM summer internship (NYC)

leaoverde

anyone apply for this? and have you heard back from them? anyone done this in the past? what was your experience like? i'm not crazy about SOM's work, but their internship program seems like a great opportunity.....

May 1, 06 4:47 pm
Queen of England

If you're a crack addict its a great opportunity.... although due to the corporate nature of the firm don't leave your pipe sitting around.

May 1, 06 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
harry

haven't heard from them yet, either. Hope this is a good sign.
I was told there are several rounds in selection process and couple of my fiends got the message re: rejection.

May 2, 06 6:55 am  · 
 · 
pumaa03

yes..haven't heard anything either.

May 2, 06 10:36 am  · 
 · 
ochona

several rounds? damn. six years ago they couldn't get enough warm bodies in the chairs. of course that was in chicago, maybe the nyc office is way more popular. here was my interview:

SOM studio head: do you know CAD?
ochona: yes, a little, i taught myself this past year at school.
SOM studio head: what's your GPA?
ochona: 3.something.
SOM studio head: can you fax me your resume?
ochona: sure.

[ wait five minutes ]

SOM studio head: when are you available?
ochona: june 11th.

that was over the phone with me in my advisor's office at UT.

of course i heard that the nyc office was like "lord of the flies" mixed with "apocalypse now" in terms of the quality of the work environment. of course there was a big rivalry between the SOM nyc and chicago offices, so take that with the grain of salt that i took it with.

May 2, 06 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

but dudes, take it if they offer it.

1. it'll be a living wage most likely, unlike many summer internships.
2. all three SOM offices in the US are so big, you can move around and get a lot of exposure to a lot of different things.
3. they have their own OCE machines...no running to the print shop. but see oldfogey's thread, you do spend a lot of time reprinting those elevations because the line weights are off...
4. there's some good design going on, and they actually know how to build the good design as well.

May 2, 06 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
harry

Did anyone hear from them yet? It's getting too late.
I'd like to work at a large firm in NYC and still waiting for SOM, Gensler, KPF and so on...

May 5, 06 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
TED

abra -- was that you i interviewed???? well gooolllly!!

May 5, 06 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

im working for KFP this summer... anyone else?

May 6, 06 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
dkoppich

I heard back from SOM New York a few weeks ago. Im gonna be working in the graphics department there. Anyone here ever work in graphics at SOM?

May 6, 06 4:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: