Archinect
anchor

Professional growth advice needed

CrazyHouseCat

Any advice on how I (and other youngish professionals) can keep growing?

I graduated top of class with MArch from a descent school almost 4 years ago.  Since then, I've been pushing myself to collect skills, experiences and credentials.  I’m the Revit leader of my 40+ people office, I’m LEED AP BC+C, I’m licensed.  I’ve worked on mostly institutional projects that range from high design, to high technical complexity, from programing to CA.  I’ve managed small projects on my own (from scheduling, billing, client meetings, etc.) as well as been part of multi office large team.  I’m pretty much equally comfortable and proficient designing, rendering, meeting client, figuring out details, working out value engineering, etc. 

My goal is to be a well rounded architect.  I know what I lack now is experience which will take time and patience.  But what can I do outside of my daily office life that can help me progress?  Ever since I got past the licensing exams, I’ve been feeling a little idle.  Advices will be much appreciated!

Feb 14, 12 4:03 pm
whistler

Network w people who have financial resources or corporate connections..... someday they might be your client or help with the introduction to a client.

Feb 14, 12 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
CrazyHouseCat

Thanks whistler, business development skills are definitely the next hot item on my list.  Just not totally sure how to go about getting it.  Such opportunities for youngsters are a bit slim.

Anyone else?

Books to read?

Should I enter competitions to keep my design skills relevant?  Or is that not effective time spent?

I've considered MBA, but decided against it after some research.  I was a business major for 2 years before architecture and I don’t intend on going into RE development.

Contractors license?

Many thanks!

Feb 14, 12 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
outthere

dam you are one ambitious fellow ...You should try starting a business on the side ..maybe start putting together a business plan ..a website ..networking ...I hear there's nothing more challenging than being on your own

I am currently have LEED ..one more exam left for my license ..and have a revit project to work on ..and I dont know where you find the time ..I guess things will be different for me when i finish this dam ARE

Good luck

Feb 21, 12 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
MixmasterFestus

This may be my own bias here, but I'd recommend not looking at architecture as a series of skills that you earn, checking off the boxes until you have checked them all and can call yourself complete.

Why not look for problems you can solve with architecture - that you want to solve with architecture, rather - and look for ways to use your skills for that, or as a guide to what sort of new skills you would need to learn?

Feb 21, 12 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

work construction

Feb 21, 12 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

My thoughts:

Competitions: No.  These are both time consuming and except for ideas competitions, devalue our contribution to the world.   Ideas competitions are useful, but only if you are headed toward academia or the rarified type of practice that operates in an academic orbit.

Contractors License: No.  The world is full of opportunities to learn new stuff, but professionally it is better to learn something that makes you better at what you already do than add something else that dilutes your focus.

Serve on a Public Board or Commission: Yes.  This will put you in the presence of decision makers, and getting on one (even in a big city) is often just a matter of showing up regularly, saying insightful things, and bathing.

Chair a Committee for your local AIA Chapter: Yes.  Especially if you are not yet in a position to start your own practice, this will help you get your next job and expose you to the concerns of practice, which are discussed more frankly when employees aren't hanging around.

Have or adopt at least one child and send them to the best private school in your area: Yes.  Rich people need architects, and you might be the only one they ever meet.  One fair sized project pays Junior's tuition for a year.

Participate in a relatively expensive sport: Yes. I've met a lot of doctors riding road bikes.  I have a friend that has had similar success in the local BMW riders club.  

Go to Church.  Yes, if you are/can plausibly become Mormon or a non-denominational Christian.  They are great entrepreneurs.  Lutherans, Presbyterians, Catholics: No.  No job prospects there.  Unitarian or Episcopalian: Yes, but only if your parents are college professors or already rich.

Feb 22, 12 12:21 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

Take a second look at an MBA and/or contractors license.  You may think you don't want to be a developer, but there are many other avenues in the real estate/construction field.  You sound very motivated, and at some point mid-career there is a real possibility of getting bored with pure architecture and you'll want other challenges.  You'll certainly get bored with an architect's compensation package.  And periodic unemployment is even worse than boredom.

Feb 22, 12 11:36 am  · 
 · 
med.

If you are still selling that whole "top of the class" bullshit in architecture school (which is irrelavant), you will have some major challenges coming your way.

Just sayin...

Also I don't really understand what you are asking us to do for you?  I don't think anyone here can actually "give you" more years of experience.

In all likelihood, you probably just want to change scenery at a new job.

Feb 22, 12 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
Token AE

It all comes down to business development.

Architecture, engineering, and the related disciplines really aren't that challenging if you are willing to put in the time to hone in on skills. None of this matters without a steady client list and things to actually work on.

Feb 22, 12 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

But what can I do outside of my daily office life that can help me progress?  

not architecture.

Feb 22, 12 1:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: