Archinect
anchor

***Looking for a Laser Cutter/Architect Facilitator needs help***

Klaartje

Hi everybody. I do IT at a small but rapidly growing architecture firm. My job is to facilitate the design process.

We are looking into getting a laser cutter, I was wondering if you have some recommendations for me, as I myself have no experience with these machines. How can I best help my architects?

My assignment is to find an 18 x 32 laser, that can cut up to 1/4" acrylic or wood. After some research, a possible option seems to be Universal's X-660, with a 60 Watt laser:
( http://ulsinc.com/english/laser_systems/product_line/x660.html )

Does anyone have experience with this machine?

Also, I'm wondering if getting one second hand is an option(from a school perhaps), and if yes, where to look for one...

I would greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks,

-K'tje

Apr 21, 06 10:38 am
joed

I work at Columbia's print shop and operate these machines all the time. We have two machines and run them basically non-stop. I would say that, given the strain we put on them, they hold up really well. Initial investment will involve getting some sort of solid ventilation system up and running, especially if you will be cutting acrylic. We used to cut plastic on our machines, but the wind currents in the courtyard outside of the laser-cutter room blew the exhaust down into the studios below. Many people complained (rightfully so; the fumes are pretty toxic), and we had to stop cutting plexi altogether. So try to do a little research into whether this kind of thing (exhaust fumes) could be a big issue with any of your neighbors.

But, after you get everything set up, upkeep is relatively simple: basically you just have to clean the lens every now and then.

It should be obvious, but fire is a big thing to watch out for when dealing with laser-cutters. We have had a couple of accidents at our shop, one involving a fire so bad it necessitated the replacement of a machine. Since then, we have changed our operating policies and have had no problems whatsoever.

So, with a little care and caution, these machines do a great job and are really built like tanks. I would definitely recommend them.

Apr 22, 06 1:19 am  · 
 · 
Becker

How much do these machines cost?

Apr 22, 06 6:11 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

x-660 is actually the laser cutter we use at my firm... its pretty solid, it will do cut 1/4" acrylic as close as 1/16" between the cuts... we use it all the time and its fine for our use

Apr 22, 06 10:59 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: