Archinect
anchor

What to see in DFW?

timpdx

I have a business trip coming up to Dallas with at least a full day off, maybe 2.

I know about the Kimball & Ando museum in Ft. Worth, what else should I not miss?

Apr 19, 06 11:46 pm
oldirty

The Nasher sculpture garden by Piano, the Meyerson Symphony Hall by Pei, the City Hall (an inverted pyramid) by who i don't know-all in downtown Dallas. Isn't there a house by Holl somewhere in Dallas?-maybe you can drive by it.

DFW is sort of boring and unnattractive in general though.

Apr 20, 06 12:12 am  · 
 · 
musicman

There's always the grassy knoll......if you're feeling morbid.

Apr 20, 06 12:32 am  · 
 · 
musicman

On another note, here's something interesting that I found about Dallas:

You know how on some of the travel websites you can check out last minute deals to different cities? Well they always show a little thumbnail image that supposedly represents the city in some way right next to the name.

New York's was a mini statue of liberty...

Chicago I think showed the hancock tower....

Orlando was of course mickey mouse...

Next to Dallas it showed a basket of chicken fingers.....I kid you not.

Is this really the best image they could find to represent Dallas?

This was years ago so I'm not sure if they've changed the image, but who knows? All I can say is those chicken fingers better be damn good! I'd check 'em out if I were you...

Apr 20, 06 12:40 am  · 
 · 
musicman

On another note, here's something interesting that I found about Dallas:

You know how on some of the travel websites you can check out last minute deals to different cities? Well they always show a little thumbnail image that supposedly represents the city in some way right next to the name.

New York's was a mini statue of liberty...

Chicago I think showed the hancock tower....

Orlando was of course mickey mouse...

Next to Dallas it showed a basket of chicken fingers.....I kid you not.

Is this really the best image they could find to represent Dallas?

This was years ago so I'm not sure if they've changed the image, but who knows? All I can say is those chicken fingers better be damn good! I'd check 'em out if I were you...

Apr 20, 06 12:41 am  · 
 · 
orEqual

Dallas City Hall is also by Pei. It's an awful building, inside and out.

Here's my Dallas daytrip for someone wanting the Dallas experience:

Visit City Hall - try and find 6FN without asking anyone for directions.

Walk across the street to the Dallas Public Library - marvel at our educated homeless, but watch out for masturbators!

Visit tranquil University Park - drive around with your windows down, shouting "New money!" at everyone.

See a concert at the Gypsy Tea Room in Deep Ellum - grab a twenty-spot from an ATM before you head in and lie your way through a gauntlet of pan-handlers who just watched you get cash.

Eat, shop, and, if you have time, get a little "work" done, and then get lasik at Boothe Eye Care and Laser Center.

Also, there's a Frank Lloyd Wright theater and residence (the one from Bottle Rocket) if you're trying to collect them all.

Apr 20, 06 6:27 am  · 
 · 
GtHtAu.

Go to Forth Worth:

Pretty harsh on the region in here!

Kimbell Art Museum (one of Kahn's best; best architecture in this part of the nation)
Amon Carter Art Museum - beautiful art

Gotta go to Billy Bob's - World's Largest Honky Tonk

Apr 20, 06 10:50 am  · 
 · 
GtHtAu.

obviously didn't read the start of the thread about the kimbell, sorry

Apr 20, 06 10:52 am  · 
 · 

There is a Fay Jones chapel...Marty Leonard Community Chapel at the Lena Pope Home, 3131 Sanguinet, Fort Worth, (817) 731-8681.
http://www.visitdallas-fortworth.com/01historic.html

The Dallas Art Museum is by Edward Larabee Barnes. Kind of nice.
Nasher is a must.

The City Hall is by Pei. I recommend seeing it.

And you can catch a few glimpses of the Turtle Creek House by Predock. Right next to it is a renovated pump house-turned into a kind of guest house. incredible.

The Rem project I think is under construction...close to Nasher.

Apr 20, 06 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

there is a holl house and a meier house on preston road

but follow your heart...go to fort worth and see:

1.) the kimbell. it is not the best architecture in this part of the nation. it is the best architecture in this nation...period.
2.) the modern. it's not kimbell-level good but that's like saying mother teresa wasn't as good as jesus.
3.) the amon carter. underrated, i think. and personally, the western art is pretty cool. frederic remington knew how to paint.
4.) casa manana. geodesic dome theater, one of the first (that i know of) in the country. the bottom of that ceiling has entranced me since i went on a first-grade field trip to see "the velveteen rabbit" in 1984.
5.) will rogers memorial complex, preferably on a day when there's either a flea market or gun show. wait, can they have gun shows anymore? spent some of the best times of my childhood at will rogers doing the gun show with my old man.
6.) montgomery plaza. see what happens when they take a very cool, very large old building and turn it into crap. the old montgomery ward store had a watermark on the sixth floor from a horrendous flood in 1947 (1949?). no mas.

you can park your car in one place and see all of this. and then you can go to super target and get a hot dog and an icee. i don't think the dixie house cafe is on university drive anymore.

Apr 20, 06 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

oh, and since you're driving, go see the leonard chapel. and the arabian nights shopping center that used to be the chapel's wide expansive lawn.

Apr 20, 06 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
ringlet

Go to Fort Worth and eat at Joe T. Garcia's...mmm.mmm.mmm

Apr 21, 06 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
ampoule

if you are at the kimball and ando, go to Fred's Texas a couple blocks away. Best burgers in texas. And still best ones i've had anywhere.

Apr 23, 06 11:38 am  · 
 · 
snooker

You should Look up J.R. or his niece...which ever is more to your liking.

Apr 23, 06 4:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: