Archinect
anchor

The Office: Ideas to Improve Your Workplace

sahar

Anyone read the January 2012 issue of Architect magazine that is focused on redefining a successful architecture office? I wanted to discuss it with someone, but thought it would be entirely too combative if I brought it up at work. The issue is here. What do you all think?

Feb 8, 12 9:05 pm
won and done williams

Thanks for posting. I found most of the articles to be fairly conventional - not much new there (research, flexible hours, etc.); the one article I did find more interesting was the one regarding food and firms eating together. We have a lunch culture at our office. A little pack of us assembles around noon each day to figure out where we are going for lunch. Another group gets their lunches out of the refrigerator and eats it while surfing the web for an hour. Another group never seems to take lunch. I think there is something interesting about the idea of firms being a bit more deliberate in how they interact over food. Imagine an office where you smelled good food cooking. Where you had an intimate dining room to share ideas. Where you had a garden to pick fresh vegetables. It struck me as a really positive way to build a firm culture and identity.

Feb 10, 12 9:49 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

"Imagine an office where you smelled good food cooking. Where you had an intimate dining room to share ideas."

A place where one could go lunch AND learn? Seems very promising. 

Feb 10, 12 7:00 pm  · 
 · 

Won, 

Your point is very interesting. When visiting some of the top firms in Holland, we found they did exactly what you mention. Mecanoo had their own food growing in spring and summer and all had lunch together every day at this large wooden farmhouse style table. Of course this only works if you have a small firm. But a lovely idea nonetheless.

Feb 10, 12 8:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: