Archinect
anchor

Wanderlust

rationalist

Who else he has the wanderlust bug bigtime? Where to do you want to go? Tell the archi-world about your dream vacation, place to live (other than where you are now), etc. and what excites you most about that place.

Apr 14, 06 10:57 am

my wife and i used to take a trip every anniversary. our honeymoon was casablanca/southern spain/barcelona. anniversary trips included paris, san juan, hawaii... since the baby was born, we haven't taken our anniversary trip and probably won't this year. looking forward to getting this going again.

Apr 14, 06 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
Gabe Bergeron

I've got that bug...

Wanna go to the Netherlands and Belgium - ride bicycles. Check out social-agenda designs.

Maybe get a room over a restaurant, sit on the balcony. go for coffee. Play old recordings on 78's.

Got some friends in Helsinki I'd like to visit too.

Apr 14, 06 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
dannyglix

berlin, to write.

still haven't made it to amsterdam yet, but my friends are intent on dragging me to south america

Oct 27, 07 11:56 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

like to move back and travel through norway, finland and sweden extensively.

Oct 28, 07 12:06 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I love New York City and I hope to continue living here for a long time, but sometimes I have the urge to live in a cabin alongside a river somewhere in a remote (but not too remote) part of the Oregon Cascades. Maybe someday, if I ever have the money, I'll design and build a little vacation cabin somewhere along the McKenzie River a few miles outside of Eugene.

Maybe by that time they will have perfected Star Trek-style transporter technology such that I can quickly retreat to my cabin after a shitty day in the office here in NYC.

Oh, and London doesn't suck one bit, either. Every so often I have this overwhelming urge to move to London for a few years. Assuming the US dollar stays in the toilet, maybe I'll move there after grad school and pay off my student loans in half the time it would take otherwise.

Oct 28, 07 12:22 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

LIG, if you are in NYC, maybe we should swap, we've got a cabin near marysville.

Oct 28, 07 5:56 am  · 
 · 
Medusa

Since I am enamored with outdoor markets, Marrakech is up there on my list. I would also like to go to Cuba again, especially Cayo Ensenachos.

I'll be going to Mexico City for a week in January, though.

Oct 28, 07 9:17 am  · 
 · 

Anyplace that has a palace!

Oct 28, 07 9:24 am  · 
 · 
Japhy

i always have itchy feet. if i could go anywhere in the world right now it would be sri lanka (minus the political turmoil).

Oct 28, 07 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I'm in the midst of planning my 7 week excursion to India, Nepal, and Tibet. It'll take place next July-August.

Whenever I think about it, I start to glow and get ridiculously excited like a kid on Christmas morning.

PS. I have to get 13 immunizations.

Oct 28, 07 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Funny... I've wanted to travel to Tibet for years. I think though the next trip on my llist is to go visit the Nothwest; Seattle, Portland, Vancouver, etc. I'd also like to see Alaska as well.

Oct 28, 07 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I'm looking forward to going to Hawaii for the first time, for my friend's wedding in March. Then probably China in May! (fingers crossed)

After Hawaii, I will only have 7 states left to visit, to have conquered all 50. If anyone has any suggestions on how to hit Maine, Vermont, Wisconsin, Iowa, Montana, Wyoming and South Dakota in one trip, please let me know. :o)

Oct 28, 07 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Holy crap! You're going to Hawaii dubk? I am so freaking envious it's not even funny. Wait a minute.... which island? No desire to really see Oahu. If you go though perhaps you should visit Dr. Cuddles. LOL! Sorry couldn't help myself on that one.. If it's Maui though, I have plenty of suggestions and only one request... can you fit me in your suitcase? ;-)

Oct 28, 07 4:31 pm  · 
 · 

Damian Marley first album was called Half-way Tree, describing a real place that was halfway from the mountain to the sea. Today it is a description between the city to the country.

For the last 6 years I have been based on a dot of an island, perched atop the glistening waters of the Caribbean. However I have a longing in my soul for urban life and would like go to a dense local like Guaghzao in China or even LA to put some faces to the archinect names.

Added that for the first time in my life I don't have a passport :(

Oct 28, 07 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
threeewizmen

In general, I love to travel anywhere, even visiting a local city such as phila for a weekend is extremely exciting.

This might be odd, i don't know if any of you have the same experience, but i often associate places with music, like Muse is NYC, or Band of Horses is Cape Cod, and Amnesiac and Bjork remind me of New Zealand. There is some extreme emotion when i visit(ed) these places, and i often associate them with the music that i listened to on the way/when i was there. Music and spatial sensations are very similar, to me at least.

To address the thread, I'm drawn to many places, and there similarities involve their natural-ness. Not nature, but in their sheer honesty. Often i don't like the beach, and i hate going to florida, because they seem fake, there is no community. The tall apartment buildings, wide hi-ways, mercedes, etc. But places such as Cape Cod or New Zealand are so unbelievably beautiful, that it remains one of the most immersing experiences i've ever had. This experience is what makes architecture i think, if i can instill that feeling into a visitor, i have succeeded

Oct 28, 07 7:25 pm  · 
 · 

WonderK, when are you going to hit Seattle?

My wanderlust has been somewhat satiated by the move, but I'm sure it will pick up again soon. I will probably spend next August in Italy, so that it something to look forward to!

Oct 28, 07 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

architechnophilia- luvvve yer blog. but lately havent been able to check out yer site anymore due to the reason that anything blog-related is blocked by our office IT. shame..

anyone sorry for hijacking the thread

Oct 29, 07 12:27 am  · 
 · 
****melt

I totally feel you threeewizmen on the music front. It's amazing how just one song can completely take you back to a specific time and place.

Oct 29, 07 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

architechno, I'll trade places with you in a heart beat (currently I'm in NYC). I desperately want to practice architecture somewhere green, tropical, and with good diving.

Oct 30, 07 10:02 am  · 
 · 
THEaquino

After going to Japan in the spring, I totally want to live there for a few years. Also, my wanderlust moved me to Boston after growing up on the West Coast.

The List (in no particular order):

London (done but i want to go back)
Manhattan (done...)
Berlin (done...)
Edinburgh (done...)
Singapor
Chicago
Paris
Budapest
Morocco (a seat by the window please)
Hong Kong
Sydney
Wellington
South Africa
Scandinavia
Dublin

Oct 30, 07 11:11 am  · 
 · 

Apu...i understand I am presently practicing architecture somewhere green, tropical, and with good diving.

morgan...you should try uploading the rss feed, that might bypass the "blog" block on those servers. Good luck and thanks for the kind words

Oct 30, 07 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

architechno, wanna work someplace cold, cramped, dark and gray?

Oct 30, 07 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

My top picks are:
Thailand
Peru or Argentina
Sweden
Vancouver
DC
Croatia

Oct 30, 07 6:20 pm  · 
 · 

hmmm apu, you've got to sell it better than that.

Oct 30, 07 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

well, alot of people refer to it as "the Greatest City in the World". I admit it has its strong points, but its best if you carry alot of money on your person.

Oct 30, 07 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

Before I got married I was an active member of the TTU rock climbing club. I haven't been to a meeting in 4 years.

If I could go anywhere I would go back out to the desert mountains of south east New Mexico, to Sitting Bull Falls. We used to camp out under this enormous rock ceiling. We would drink and dip and smoke cigars around the camp fire till all hours of the night, telling stories that border on lies and sharing jokes. Then we would get up, hungover as hell, in the morning, hike into the state park and start climbing.

I would give almost anything to be 21, 150lbs, and climbing 5.12c again. Out in the desert without a care in the world.

I'll post up pictures as soon as I get them scanned. (I never took my digital on rock climbing trips).

Oct 30, 07 11:57 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

There's the camp site. Its on a hill about 100 yards from that ceiling where we had our camp fires. The ceiling itself is about 9-10' above the barely visible fire circle. Larger, but hardly better, picture available at my flickr page.

Oct 31, 07 12:20 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: