Archinect
anchor

zumthor lecture/talks/uVa

raymonde

did anyone attend any of the ceremonies for peter zumthor at university of virginia in the past two days where he received the thomas jefferson medal? strange that nobody from University of Virginia posted anything. would love to know what he spoke of, showed etc. thank you and happy easter.

Apr 14, 06 7:16 am

he wasn't stopped at the campus boundary and turned away by the university administration's protectors of tradition?

Apr 14, 06 7:30 am  · 
 · 
walter_

haha. It's amazing how the University gives this pretty prestigious award every year to really great modern architects but won't allow a building without columns on campus. pretty pathetic.

http://www.uva-architecture-forum.org/

Apr 14, 06 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
r.s

The lecture was excellent as was the discussion we had with him regarding his recent work. He spent an hour plus answering questions from students in a separate forum from the public lecture and talked very specifically about concepts of home, relationships to music, and the importance of investing yourself in what you do. The work he showed was quite recent including a hotel tower addition at Vals and a chapel for a farmer in rural switzerland.

Apr 19, 06 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
tinsec9

Pratt ? Is that where he went ?

Apr 19, 06 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
uva2006

The School of Architecture gives the thomas jefferson medal. The Board of Visitors makes the unfortunate but ultimate decision of what buildings are built on campus. Fortunately there is an open discussion about the future of Architecture and the School of Architecture's role in that. Most universities around the country also have a lack of quality contemporary work, the difference is there school's of architecture are not as highly ranked, and respected. Because of the prestige at UVA people would expect the school to be more influential with what happens on campus. Hopefully the discussion will change that.

Apr 19, 06 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
Most universities around the country also have a lack of quality contemporary work, the difference is there school's of architecture are not as highly ranked, and respected. Because of the prestige at UVA people would expect the school to be more influential with what happens on campus.

pomposity: #1 reason i didn't go to uva like everyone in my virginia hometown expected.

...and: you're first sentence is a run-on. there is no apostrophe in schools when it's non-possessive plural. comma after ranked is unnecessary.

Apr 19, 06 10:06 pm  · 
 · 

also 'their' is the possessive pronoun you were looking for, not 'there'.

prestige, hm.

Apr 19, 06 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
AP

*their vs "there" [school's...]

Apr 19, 06 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
AP

damnit Steven! ;)

Apr 19, 06 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
superstarchitect

*your

... sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine when people who criticize aren't exactly immaculate themselves...

Apr 19, 06 10:11 pm  · 
 · 

got me!

Apr 19, 06 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
uva2006

sorry I forgot to proof read my post for proper punctuation. how embarrassing. It is always humbling to be put in your place by some random dude on the internet.

Apr 19, 06 10:15 pm  · 
 · 

you'll be fine at 'the university', uva2006. hope you do well in architecture, too.

Apr 20, 06 6:51 am  · 
 · 
walter_

in defense...

"Just about every other school in Virginia likes to bash UVA kids for
being 'pretentious' and 'snobs.' In other words, they get called out for
thinking they're better than everyone else. Well, if you went to the
school in Virginia with the most stringent admissions requirements, best overall athletic program, most beautiful campus and coeds, most
successful and famous alumni, the most storied social scene, was founded by Thomas Jefferson, and all that happened to be in what was voted the #1 city to live in America, well you'd think you were the shit too." - ESPN's review of college campuses.

...not that ESPN can vouch for the A-school, but still...

Apr 20, 06 9:33 am  · 
 · 
impalajunkie

has anyone found photos of the zumthor projects mentioned above, the hotel addition at vals and the chapel for a farmer?

Apr 20, 06 10:28 am  · 
 · 
r.s

the chapel is seriously brilliant. Zumthor is using full cut logs as a sort of tent like formwork and constructing a concrete rectangular shell around them. The process is part of the design in that the concrete is poured incrementally (still not finished). Ultimately, after all the concrete is poured, the wood will be burnt out (a small aperture in the roof of the chapel remains open to the elements and will allow for the smoke to gradually escape). The resulting texture is incredible (he showed slides of mock ups). The floor will be molten lead (Zumthor assured us that it was not in fact poisonus). The tower in Vals is in conceptual stages. Zumthor used the metaphor of a hand protecting privacy and reaching into views of the landscape and showed a couple images including a watercolor plan study.

Apr 20, 06 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
francis / ony one

4 pictures of the farmers chapel here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71355476@N00/226109732/

Aug 28, 06 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I sell my Zumthor Works book for $10,000

Aug 28, 06 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I'll...sorry about that

Aug 28, 06 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
Ernest

cool pictures

Sep 10, 06 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
francis / ony one
Here's

another picture of the farmers chapel.

Feb 20, 07 7:26 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: