Archinect
anchor

Architecture Summer School

danielmunteanu

Can you recommend an interesting Architecture/Urban Design Summer School or Student/Young practitioners Workshop in Europe?
Probably the best is the one organized by AA, but the fee is astronomic (about 1000 pounds, no accommodation or lunch included).

Apr 14, 06 4:16 am
Nevermore

well you can carry your own sandwiches

Apr 14, 06 4:57 am  · 
 · 
ooid

AA summer school is kinda pratic introduction to the life in AA for the ones who want to study there for years...still has very potential about the practice, cuz during the 3 weeks period you are forced to do many things by the tutors.
plus sandwiche idea, there are loads of cheaper markets around AA, selling pretty cheap and good meals. Besides, during the summer you might find cheaper rooms in hostels for short-time stay preiods.

Apr 14, 06 6:20 am  · 
 · 
fde

The summer school at the AA in general is quite good but depends from the tutors. Last year was a bit crap, just wait the list of tutor before make an application. For the fee plus life in London with rent, food, beer it will be around 2000 pounds.

Apr 14, 06 8:19 am  · 
 · 
ooid

true fde,
but they did not anounced the list last year.
which unit were you in by the way ?

Apr 14, 06 8:29 am  · 
 · 

I am taking part in Copenhagen's DIS program this summer. It includes a studio course, history elective, and some field study trips to Norway and Sweden. They also have a really good furniture design course.

Apr 14, 06 8:29 am  · 
 · 
.dwg

admiller4

are you a graduate student?
i'm really interested in the DIS program for next summer, but i'm wondering if it's mostly an undergrad program.

Apr 14, 06 10:05 am  · 
 · 
fde

the list will come out mid may...I know last year they did not anounced the tutor list, but before pay is better to send an email...

Apr 14, 06 10:12 am  · 
 · 

there is the Berlage Institute Masterclass in rotterdam in may, with Yoshiharu Tsukamoto of Atelier Bow-Wow. cheap at only 450euros, or 250 euros for students.

Apr 14, 06 10:32 am  · 
 · 

ahhh...before you get excited, i just saw that deadline for app is tomorrow.

Apr 14, 06 10:33 am  · 
 · 
AP

.dwg, DIS takes graduates, and upper level students from undergrad.

Apr 14, 06 11:12 am  · 
 · 
AP

so..it's not a mostly undergrad program. I would highly recommend the summer program. When i attended, the study tours were to Finland, Sweden and throughout Denmark.

Apr 14, 06 11:14 am  · 
 · 
.dwg

AP, how was living in copenhagen while you did the DIS?

Apr 14, 06 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

The AA summer school is really good, I had fantastic tutors and my unit produced some great work, I agree that it depends on the tutors, don't plan on doing anything over the weekend though, I worked (stupid me) and had a tough time getting everything done in time. It is also a good time to view the quality of the work in the exhibition. People come from all over the world and from different backgrounds to attend the summer school, even last year with the bombings.

Apr 14, 06 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
danielmunteanu

Anyone went to Rotterdam architecture summer school last year, with Peter Wilson & Aaron Betsky?

Apr 15, 06 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
nov6

i did

Jun 18, 06 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
pamplemousse

.dwg:
I'm doing DIS all next year. I think they allow you to make your own living arrangements but they arrange and highly encourage you to live in student dorms, do family home stays, or live in apartments with 4 other students from the program. Finding your own housing in Copenhagen is supposedly too difficult to want to worry about.

As far as I know, the summer study tours are the same.

If you have any questions, you can certainly ask me more while I'm there.

Jun 18, 06 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
.dwg

thanks wantanfon5

i'd like to hear all about it!

Jun 18, 06 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
sandiego

nov6, how was your experience at Rotterdam?

Oct 9, 06 4:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: