Archinect
anchor

Jobs

ClemsonDnB

So I have applied to about 20 million firms and have heard back from two so far. One was Acconci Studio, with Vito informing me they aren't hiring right now and the other from Leeser Architects who told me to send them my portfolio two weeks ago and since doing so haven't heard back.. guess I should call them, or maybe it was just that bad :( I will have to post it here for some comments and suggestions after i revise it a little more. I was wondering if anyone knows any sites to look at for jobs in furniture design / lighting design / etc. ?

Apr 13, 06 12:52 am
sameolddoctor

thats interesting, there are a million firms that are hiring right now, go to the jobs section....

Apr 13, 06 1:03 am  · 
 · 
ClemsonDnB

That is what I have been using as a reference. I would like to find furniture designers, etc. who are hiring as well but can't find many resources for that other than the occasional post in the NYTimes.

Apr 13, 06 1:14 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Clemson, here is a paragraph I posted on Hasselhoff's UPenn blog in February:

My most successful job searches were always the result of being in the right place at the right time. Smaller firms generally don't know in April if they will need to hire someone in June. I would generally call the firm and ask who a resume should go to, then drop off a resume right into that person's hands if possible, right when I was ready to start working (at the very end of the semester), and if I happened into a firm that needed someone right away it would work out. Bigger firms are more likely to commit to someone for summer in April. In smaller firms who aren't ready to commit to hiring you but show possible interest, find out what they have to work on and then tell them how you can help - for example, I had done cabinet drawings a previous summer and happened to get a job because they needed help doing cabinet drawings for a church project.

Apr 13, 06 2:28 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

you forgot to mention lb that you are also a hottie!!!even at dare i say it 39!!!

Apr 13, 06 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
ClemsonDnB

Thanks for the helpful advice Liberty. I am currently in south carolina but plan on moving to NYC about a week after graduation, whether or not I have a job. I have been told it will be easier when I am actually there. I am really looking for a firm that is working with CAD/CAM, preferably a smaller firm who could use someone who is knowledgable in that area. I have started to send my resume to these smaller firms that arent necessarily hiring at the moment in the chance that they will see I am capable of contributing to some project they are working on. Would it be wise to include a small sample of work with the resume or wait for them to ask for it?

Thanks!

Apr 13, 06 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
e

39 is hot.

Apr 13, 06 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

In other words, vado, you're saying all I've accomplished in my 39 years has been because I'm cute. Thanks.

(I feel so bad for men sometimes - they just can't win when it comes to complimenting women ;-)

Sorry for that interruption. But I'll address it: yes whenever possible in my intern/summer job past I liked to hand deliver resumes. Especially if I had a name of someone to mention: "Hi Bob, Joe at AB Associates said you guys might need someone and I should come talk to you". Two advantages: it lets you the job-seeker suss out the firm even momentarily to see if you might like it or totally hate it (and yes as architects I think we can make this decision based on the photos on the wall and the style of waiting room chairs). If you get a good vibe from the person you meet with, even in 30 seconds and a handshake, you might decide to really pursue this office vs. let it slide lower on your list.

But also, a big issue for potential employers is interpersonal skills. Every office has a vibe, if it is a close-knit place, the personality of the intern is of similar importance as his/her abilities: an intern by definition doesn't have a lot of experience, so at the very least you want a cool person to work with every day. I believe you can tell within a few minutes of meeting someone if they are likely to be hard-working, honest, etc. or vice versa if they are likely to be a psycho who will sue you for wrongful termination when you fire them for stealing from the petty cash till.

It's more about personality than appearance, though you can also tell by whether someone is dressed professionally/etc. if they are likely to be a good fit. Then during an actual interview you can decide whether their skills/experience will mesh with what the firm needs at that moment.

(Note: I have never applied to any firm larger than 25 people - things change when the numbers get bigger and of course this type of personal interaction becomes less significant.)

Apr 13, 06 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Clemson I'd say with a paper resume include 1-2 sheets of work examples with the resume. We're all used to communicating graphically and can probably remember a picture better than the stats on a resume. And it's good that you can target your search to firms that are doing exactly the kind of work you are interested in/have experience in and can help them to do.

Apr 13, 06 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
BLK

do you know any jobs in europe?
USA is not my style, and a can't find any in the job section

so if somebody knows any ...

Apr 13, 06 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

well it goes without saying that you are a very talented architect, lb...

Apr 13, 06 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
LarkJL86

don't even bother working with Leeser architecture. i was there for an intern interview and didn't like what i saw. very disorganize and the staff looked like robots.

Aug 2, 08 12:56 am  · 
 · 
difficultfix

you got to remove devry off your resume...then you will see how things turn around

Aug 2, 08 1:00 am  · 
 · 
ryanj

Enough with the NYC obsession, the south is where the jobs are!...but you just go ahead with your urban fantasy.

Aug 2, 08 1:08 am  · 
 · 
Xing

They perhaps do not like you or love you too much, that is not a problem, the problem is they do not have opennings.

Aug 2, 08 3:15 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

i hate those idiotic forbes tables ranking cities by generic economic growth stats, but one city i did find interesting on that table - mcallen, tx.

mcallen ranks the lowest of all cities polled for median income. it ranks fifth to last in unemployment. but here's the good news, mcallen, you rank number one in job growth ranking (whatever that means) and number two in income growth ranking (again whatever that means).

i will translate this. mcallen, because you have fallen so far and have such low expectations to find employment, corporations are willing to move into your neighborhood to exploit your exceptionally low expectations. congratulations, you will soon find a slew of $10/hour jobs coming your way.

Aug 2, 08 12:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: