Archinect
anchor

derby time

May 5, 06 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Yay for Derby! I know Steven is not here today. My Derby plans include a bike ride to the grocery store to buy the makings of a Derby Pie. This eveing I will relax with some Woodford Reserve nearly neat. ANd tomorrow I get to hear all of Steven's stories about the day!

Old Fogey, based on name alone, I'm gonna go with Keyed Entry. Hilarious.

Happy Derby Day everyone. (and Cinco de Mayo yesterday was fun too, if anyone has CdM stories to share maybe here is a good place to do it).

May 6, 06 9:54 am  · 
 · 

i AM here. and i'm not going to get to actually attend derby at churchill downs this year. with the baby, we would only have been able to go if we had scored a box. my brother is going to the infield, but that's a little too much of a free-for-all.

so we'll celebrate at a private derby party that some friends are having.

i'm diggin' sinister minister to win, but i usually like a long shot as well. (lemons forever, an underdog, won kentucky oaks yesterday.) so my 'place' is deputy glitters.

May 6, 06 10:49 am  · 
 · 

it's always fun seeing people come back from the oaks. we were out for a happy hour and everyone arrives with ties and dresses askew, glassy eyes, wild hair, and assymmetrical sunburns. it's very recognizable.

May 6, 06 10:51 am  · 
 · 

post time, 6:04 eastern time. synchronize your tv sets! i'm off to our party!

May 6, 06 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

My derby pie turned out yummy, though not traditional: biked to the organic grocery to do my shopping today and of course they don't sell normal evil corn syrup (Karo) there. So I bought organic brown rice syrup instead. Gave the pie a bit more of a molasses-ey flavor. But definitely a sugar rush!

While slipping the pie in the oven I said to my husband "Let's put a $2 online bet on Keyless Entry!". Then we realized neither of us know the first thing about placing on online bet or even if it is legal. So we didn't. I hope I'm not kicking myself now.

Gotta run to the liquor store for supplies....

May 6, 06 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

i saw that either GQ or esquire had voted kentucky the most stylish state in the US. one of those two. anyhoo, back in haltom city TX around this time of year the folks in the house behind ours used to have their own kind of derby.

like the kentucky derby, it featured highly-trained thoroughbred animals with high-stakes betting and lots of drinking. and the winner, eventually, would get turned into cat food. lots of similarities.

but there weren't too many saudi princes hanging around 2101 higgins lane

May 8, 06 9:32 am  · 
 · 
ochona

oh, and just for the record...we called the cops almost every single time the roosters started kicking, but the cops only showed up once...and i think it was to place a bet

May 8, 06 9:33 am  · 
 · 

it's quiet around here this week.

May 12, 06 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

thank god you posted this Steven - I've been home all day with my 3 year old and I realize finally what it is I need to keep me going the rest of the evening - opening the Woddford bottle right....now.

Aaah, stay at home mom-ness is a frickin' lot harder than owning a business!

May 12, 06 5:45 pm  · 
 · 

guess what!?! it's almost derby time again!

start back at the beginning of this thread and follow the directions carefully.

open a bottle of knob creek this evening, set it next to the computer and book your tix to louisville!

we're watching the bluegrass and the gardens wake up while we're staying in our exurban digs. i don't think i mentioned that this is a former horse farm... pix of horses and some framed jockey colors hang by the back door.

a tradition in architecture and construction in louisville, and i'm sure in landscaping/gardening as well, is to have work "done by derby". we will move back into our house which has been under renovation since january the WEEK OF DERBY. we must have unknowingly absorbed the local culture and it affected our plans. i guess.

anyway...

start watching those horse races so you'll have your picks ready when you come!

Mar 26, 07 7:45 am  · 
 · 

this year i'll start cheerleading a little early... or i'll just let the project for public spaces do it for me!:

http://blog.pps.org/?p=1391

time to start planning that louisville trip!

Jan 23, 09 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I had a Mint Julep, with mint fresh form my garden, to kick off Derby Week. I'll have another every night this week, t hough I may destroy my mint if I do that!

Apr 27, 09 7:07 pm  · 
 · 

i think the mint offsets any potential for liver damage from the bourbon. yeah, definitely.

i get to spend most of wednesday at the track blowing money on bets for which i won't cash tickets. but - woo hoo - it's free lunch and open bar! that all adds up to a good investment in my book.

Apr 27, 09 10:25 pm  · 
 · 

can't wait for a whole year to be up before re-newing this thread again!

attended our first derby-season event last night - a fashion show, of all things. nice dinner, expensive but very generous drinks.

derby theme this year is 'spring fever reliever', just in case anyone was wondering.

this year we got invited by someone involved with the derby festival to attend a bunch of events with her. she says it's because we're fun (i.e., not stuffy or social climbers) and she needed fun people around her! we're happy to oblige.

--

it's derby time again, folks!

Apr 2, 10 7:23 am  · 
 · 

bourbon and horses...

Yes!

Apr 2, 10 8:07 am  · 
 · 
Geof

In the rest of the country, when people have something that they've been putting off, they resolve to get it done at New Years. In Louisville, we say "I'll get to it after Derby."

Apr 4, 10 2:23 pm  · 
 · 

L'ville is such a fun city.

I made a bourbon cocktail in February for a cocktail party for which every guest brought the makings of a drink. Mine was bourbon (Bulleit), a little fresh grapefruit juice, a little fresh lemon juice, and a dash of almond extract. Turns out almond and bourbon are amazing together. I may try a different version with ice and club soda come summer.

Apr 4, 10 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

When does the bar open Liberty~ I could use a stiff one!

Apr 4, 10 4:21 pm  · 
 · 

Donna with the Bulleit... Love it.

Apr 4, 10 8:21 pm  · 
 · 

gbb - a louisvillian!

the exception i know to your comment is the famous local construction deadline: 'done by derby'.

Apr 4, 10 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
Geof

Thunder over Louisville: 30 minutes of fireworks + a six hour air show to kick off a two week long party... to celebrate a two minute race. I love Louisville.

Apr 18, 10 12:07 am  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

Driving up from FL, 3rd year in a row and I hope to keep the streak alive for many more years.

Apr 18, 10 1:21 am  · 
 · 

yep, thunder (the fireworks show) was last night: we're off!

Apr 18, 10 8:23 am  · 
 · 
Geof

I was going to upload the video that I took but this one is a whole lot better than mine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj5hGo7Wa74
Its the TV broadcast.

Apr 18, 10 1:08 pm  · 
 · 

happy derby!

it may be raining, but we're still determined to have a good time. it'll only make the bluegrass greener, right?

hope your horse wins, as long as it's the same horse as mine!

May 1, 10 7:32 am  · 
 · 
Geof

Who'd you pick Steven? My Homeboy didn't quite make it.
=(

May 1, 10 8:35 pm  · 
 · 

didn't cash a ticket all day --- but still had a beautiful time!

i had devil may care for derby. didn't come anywhere near.

when will i learn not to bet against calvin borel in the derby?!

May 1, 10 9:08 pm  · 
 · 

JEzebel had a gallery of Derby hats - none of them came close to being as cool as yours! Shoes are awesome too.

What's that little net tray along the rail - is that to keep people from dropping their cell phones onto the people below them?!

May 2, 10 9:53 am  · 
 · 

i think it's just to keep things from falling on the folks below. but people put all kinds of things there: cell phones, racing forms, drinks (danger!)...

May 2, 10 9:58 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I picked NO 4 to win...but I didn't put any money down so it is the same as not betting for anyone to win.

May 2, 10 10:29 am  · 
 · 

well...almost the same. if you truly DID pick #4, at least you get to yell 'woo hoo!' as he crosses the finish line.

we had a great day, starting with brunch at the rivue restaurant, 25 floors above downtown overlooking the river. took a bus to the track with actors from 'big bang theory' and 'numbers' - and a former miss india, apparently - among our group.

spent the (mostly rainy) day in the skye terrace which is just after the finish line four floors up. a nice place to have lots of buffet food, lots of drinks, and stay inside and/or on the undercover terrace out of the rain. we sang 'my old kentucky home', made our $2 losing bets, stood in bathroom and food lines. high rollers around us were all flashing their bills, we saw lots of beautiful clothes and hats, and generally had a good derby.

we had so much fun that we already signed up on the list for next year's derby! maybe a little less posh, like in the grandstand.

kentucky is awesome in the spring. and the rain keeps making the grass greener.

May 2, 10 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

PICK YER PONY!

derby day 2011:

1 Archarcharch
2 Brilliant Speed
3 Twice the Appeal
4 Stay Thirsty Todd
5 Decisive Moment
6 Comma to the Top
7 Pants On Fire
8 Dialed In
9 Derby Kitten
10 Twinspired
11 Master of Hounds
12 Santiva Eddie
13 Mucho Macho Man
14 Shackleford
15 Midnight Interlude
16 Animal Kingdom
17 Soldat
18 Uncle Mo
19 Nehro
20 Watch Me Go

May 7, 11 1:27 pm  · 
 · 

Yay, Derby!!! Wishing I had a bet on #1 for Race 7 - picked it and it won! If I had money down, though, it wouldn't have happened... I'm digging Archarcharch (duh) and maybe Pants On Fire.

May 7, 11 2:41 pm  · 
 · 

wow, and a beautiful race 8! love it when it all turns around after the last turn. aviate!

May 7, 11 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
timothysadler®

We have four Derby Pies made, mint simple syrup cooling on the stove, folks coming over in a couple of hours for the race!!  Happy Derby Day from the West Coast!!

May 7, 11 3:07 pm  · 
 · 

Um, is today Derby Day? I have NO bourbon in the house and need another paycheck before I can justify buying any.  What a sad year.

May 7, 11 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

All I want is Bourbon Balls!....and that isn't for Christmas.  Turning off the computer to go check on the rase...29 minutes until blast off.

May 7, 11 5:55 pm  · 
 · 

O the sun shines bright...

May 7, 11 6:14 pm  · 
 · 

In the gate!

May 7, 11 6:26 pm  · 
 · 

Animal Kingdom, out of nowhere!

May 7, 11 6:29 pm  · 
 · 

Here is a recipe for the kids: Mint Julep Gelees.  Fully bourbon-ated, of course, so maybe not for the kids.

Last time I made a recipe involving straight gelatin, Homemade Watermelon Jello, it tasted like meat.  So I actually don't have high hopes for the Mint Julep gelees, but they do look pretty!

Apr 6, 12 10:11 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: