Archinect
anchor

Internship application package question?

Rozkuszka

I am currently in my junior semester at uwm and starting to look for summer internships, i never had one before (not because i didn't try, just nothing to be found) and a lot of the big firms have a 4mb rule to upload a resume and examples of work. I have been trying to downsize the files by changing the resolution to 72 and just limiting the content. My question, am i missing something or is 4mb just too small to show anything meaningful. 

Thanks 

Feb 5, 12 9:13 am
Janosh

You should have no problem getting a resume and three one-page work samples into a single 4MB email.  Can you elaborate on the size and number of pages that you are trying to include?  Is it mostly vector/linework, or is it all raster graphics?

Feb 5, 12 11:45 am  · 
 · 
Rozkuszka

My resume is a standard 8.5 x 11but its a photoshop graphic, same with my possible work samples. In order to compose the work samples, i used a portfolio type layout just two facing pages.  

Feb 5, 12 12:11 pm  · 
 · 

What format are you submitting? If you have lots of pixelated work, you can "save for web" to crunch it if you have to. Then place that image onto a pdf in illustrator. Should keep it small.

My personal advice would be to simply get rid of the graphic. a 4mb limit is not at all unreasonable. And a job is more important than that graphic. 

Feb 5, 12 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Agree with James.  Your resume shouldn't have any graphics on it unless they are tiny and glorious, and resumes are best composed in Illustrator (or maybe InDesign) and printed straight to pdf so your text doesn't get crunchy.  

And with respect to your work samples, it sounds like you might be trying to fit an entire board or presentation graphic onto one 8.5x11 sheet, which isn't necessary for work samples.  Just pull out one compelling graphic (maybe a rendering?) and a sexy plan and call it done.  Your goal at this stage is just to get them interested enough to have them call you in for an interview - you can give them the whole story and presentation later.

Feb 5, 12 4:25 pm  · 
 · 

Hi guys,

I'm about to obtain an internship in Denmark  and I need some information.  The job interview it's tomorrow  and i'm hoping to find out some details.

I would like to know about how much an intern (with 3-5 years of work experience) is paid in general and if an intern will work on certain areas depending on how they evaluate your profile (CAD drafting / renderings / 3d modeling / concept talks or you participate in all of the above).

Thanks 

Jul 2, 12 3:42 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: