Archinect
anchor

What to see and do in Savannah, Georgia and Charleston, South Carolina

mm

I'll be traveling to Savannah, Georgia and Charleston, South Carolina at the end of May to attend a friend's wedding.

Any advice on what to see and do in these cities?

Apr 6, 06 12:56 pm

middleton inn outside charleston - and whatever other projects by clark/menefee you can find.

also seek out work by huff+gooden in and around charleston.

clemson has a satellite school in charleston > might be worth a drop-by.

savannah is fascinating. just wander. the bus tour is actually pretty good, too, to get an introduction to the organization of the place.

savannah college of art and design arch school is in an old train depot > also worth a drop-by

(i always take the opportunity to check out arch schools.)

Apr 6, 06 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

drink...drink...drink...drink...drink...drink...drink...

Apr 6, 06 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

you can see my brother

Apr 6, 06 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
waxwings

check out the SC aquarium in chars (clark and menefee). steven's recommendations are good. middleton inn is outstanding -though it may be a bit out of your way.
huff+gooden's work (schools and such) could be hard to find but is good. definitely walk the south of broad area, see where the civil war started, look at all of the antebellum homes –now, mostly owned by new yorkers.

If you’re into the arts, then you should see if your chars trip coincides with the spoleto arts festival. also, if you find yourself in mt. pleasant (just over the city's new euro looking bridge) near shem creek then seek out a restaurant called "the wreck". it's in an old cold storage building on the water and is great for seafood -pretty much a locals' place but you'll be welcome.

savannah is probably the most beautiful former penal colony anywhere. just remember that the little squares are where the inmates showed up for roll call.

you’ll be going at a great time of year. have fun. do be prepared for everyone that you pass on the street to make eye contact and say hello, oh and also, for a lot of khaki-panted guys.

Apr 7, 06 3:21 am  · 
 · 
AP

agreed on all.
in charleston, eat at Fast and French, on Broad Street, I think...
middleton inn is worth the trip if you have some time...

in savannah, avoid the tourist trap restaurants on the river.
walk around, it's that kind of city. a quick look at a map should get you acquainted enough to not get lost. check out the recently completed art museum by safdie (on telfort square?)...also, check out anything SCAD, especially the newish library.

Apr 7, 06 10:24 am  · 
 · 
mdler

moshie safide has a building under construction in Savanah...i believe it is the art museum.

Claries for breakfast

Vinnie Van Goh Gohs for pizza

Apr 7, 06 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
n_

check out the old city jail in charleston on magazine street (i think). it's right next to the marine hospital downtown. the marine hospital is currently where clemson's satellite architecture campus. stop in and see what those kids are doing. they are pretty wild up there.

Apr 8, 06 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
va bene

I second eating at Fast and French!

Check out Bonaventure Cemetery just outside of Savannah, it's beautiful.

Apr 8, 06 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
AP

mdler, the Jepson Center for the Arts opened last month.

Apr 9, 06 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
musicman

Best seafood I ever had was at Hyman's in Charleston.

Funny name, badass seafood.... It should be their slogan.

Apr 10, 06 11:26 am  · 
 · 
_other_

don't know if it still applies as i haven't lived in Savannah in several years: The RailPub, I second vinnies, SushiZen, and the Crabshack for cheap outside seafood. Oh, and enjoy one of the only cities in the US where you can drink outside, (as long as its in a plastic cup) Most important thing though: Don't get mugged. happens pretty often.

Apr 10, 06 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
job job

or report your car stolen....

and find it where you parked it

Apr 10, 06 6:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: