Archinect
anchor

RISD m.archs

liznieve

just wondering if there's anyone out there - just decided on RISD over a myriad of other choices and am ecstatic about it despite others saying my choice was crazy.

so, anyone else out there who just got in/grad students?

Apr 5, 06 11:04 pm
Liebchen

I've got in, I'm fairly certain I'm going...and I am excited. Screw the naysayers. From what I've gathered from those who go and have gone to RISD, the program is a good fit for what I want. I'm still dubious about the cost, but I think everyone gets a bit of sticker shock when the cost of schooling actually sets in.

What makes you ecstatic about the school? Are you just coming out of undergrad or have you been out of school for awhile?

Apr 5, 06 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
liznieve

aj-

i ultimately chose RISD based on a number of factors, but mostly because it is definitely the part of my education that is missing. i did undergrad at northwestern university in math and art history as a premed. so i took tons tons tons of math and hard science. well, just tons of everything really. a veritable intellectual smorgasbord.

it was also because of my coworkers, a lot of whom went to RISD. i work for a small architecture office of a larger firm, so everyone knows everyone else and they reinforced my conviction that it would be the right place for me, and has the capacity to enhance my creativity beyond many of the other schools i considered. i like the idea that they foster independent thought, nuturing instead of preaching at you.

i graduated a year ago, so not too long out ofundergrad. but long enough that i appreciate the perspective a year of living in the real world has brought me.

what about you?

Apr 5, 06 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
amykwok

liz -congrats and welcome :)

Apr 5, 06 11:57 pm  · 
 · 
Liebchen

Liz-

I studied theatre set design in school and graduated in 2004. I've been working as a props coordinator at a regional theatre, among other things. Looking into my crystal ball, I haven't been too happy with how I saw my future turning out...and since I've always been TOO interested in architecture, I'm taking the plunge.

I was initially attracted to RISD because it is a program in an art school, and I felt could help me find a way to find design solutions that jive with how I think. RISD people in this forum have been able to speak to why they feel RISD is a great program so much better than those who go to other schools...it's been a powerful incentive.

Are you still out by Northwestern? Have you visited Providence yet?

Apr 6, 06 8:53 am  · 
 · 
liznieve

aj-

i am actually in new york city and am planning to visit for the tour next tuesday. (on a side note: making a tour on a tuesday??? how about a friday or a monday, eh, RISD??) i know its for prospective applicants, but i wanted to speak more in-depth with the architecture department, and reaffirm my observations the last time i was there. and i believe i was hungover the last time i took the tour, so perhaps one more round a bit more clear-headed would be a good idea.

and yes, i agree that the art-school vibe is definitely a very seductive part of the RISD program.

also, are you going to have to take that summer session thing? i do. any current students have any thoughts about it / what i should be prepared for?

Apr 6, 06 9:19 am  · 
 · 
MyMai

Hi. I'm going to RISD too.
But I haven't decided whether to attend the summer program, which I was told I can skip...

One thing I am worried about is my future/career.
Liz, your coworkers are happy about having studied at RISD, right?
Didn't they have hard time to find jobs?

Apr 6, 06 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
Liebchen

Whoa, am I missing something? They haven't told me whether or not I have to take the summer thing...though, I haven't sent in my matriculation fee yet.

I visited today; sat (well, stood) in on critique. It was good, glad I saw it.

Apr 6, 06 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
Liebchen

Duh, I totally missed it...right there in my letter "...summer program requirement can be waived..." I really should read these things more carefully. I'm not going to attend, I can do without the extra expense.

Apr 6, 06 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
liznieve

aj-

i hear ya. if only i had taken painting instead of organic chemistry i might be able to stay in new york a few more months. sigh. going to miss the smell of subway in summer. although i hear the summer session is fun, ehhhh i'd rather be working.

and yes mai, my coworkers couldn't be more enthusiastic about RISD. it isn't hard to find jobs, as they have told me, particularly on the east coast. all architecture firms know it (if they don't, you don't want to work there) and appreciate the quality of work they know RISD students can produce (also spoke to my bosses about it). you apparently also have more leverage at non-traditional architecture firms, i.e. wet design in LA (for instance) that does fountain design. its also easier to break into ID if that is even vaguely an interest because of the fantasic reputation RISD has in ID.

Apr 7, 06 10:00 am  · 
 · 
scralk

"veritable intellectual smorgasbord" jesus christ.

Nov 2, 07 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

you resurrected an old thread to pretentiously rip on someone else's pretentious comment?

Nov 2, 07 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

Have you guys looked at this student blog

risd

Nov 2, 07 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
Liebchen

Yeah, Scralk, way to go douche bag. One trashing does deserve another.

Nov 2, 07 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
scralk

yes manamana that's exactly what i did. i like the way you put it. i was thinking about quoting this in the "phrases that make you cringe" thread, but i don't think that would have been fair, somehow. and liebchen, methinks you is the douchebag, veritably. thanks for proving your own point. yawn.

Nov 2, 07 2:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: