Archinect
anchor

3ds curved form help

grid

Well, this is the first project I'm attempting to do in 3ds max 7. The form I'm trying to create is similiar to the corrugated metal on shuhei endo's springtecture building. How do I got about creating a form like this? What are some good forums for just 3ds tips and help?

Thanks in advance.

Apr 1, 06 10:28 pm
Try Google
Apr 2, 06 10:39 am  · 
 · 
todd

draw the section, extrude, rotate it.

Apr 2, 06 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
grid

then how do I make it appear as one continuous sprial? Wouldn't doing the way you suggest make various segmented peices?

Apr 3, 06 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
montu

Create a path that is the outside edge of the shape out of a spline.
Loft a shape along that path.
Itis a very simple s hape that is repeated the only complex bit is the transition from one S to the other. Th e transition might be done by creating the form until it becomes non linear and lofting between the edges.

I am certain if you analyze the geometry it is very basic.

Apr 3, 06 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
todd

agreed, the geometry is very simple.

the loft method maybe a bit difficult if a rookie at max. be sure to grasp how the loft command is working in each viewport. I would try the section method and extrude and subtract away from it until you have a good grasp on max.

Apr 3, 06 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

Also, after lofting and subtracting to get the form you want, use modifiers like shell to add the appearance of substance.

Apr 3, 06 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
grid

so I'm begining to understand the loft command. My only problem is that when I change the perspective to show the interior, the lofted plane does not show up. I also attempted to make the curve with the terrain tool and am having the same problem with it disappearing. Any tips on how to make it show up on in the inside and outside?

Apr 3, 06 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
LimitedPromos

In your viewport configuration turn on "force 2-sided". This will allow you to see both sides of your geometry.

Apr 4, 06 10:25 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: