Archinect
anchor

Non architects (mArch 1 or 3+) that got accepted to grad school

labphonic

Do any non-architects want to share their background and grad schools to which you were accepted ? I studied history and I'm trying to figure out my chances for schools. Want to list gre scores, gpa's, portfolio links? Especially portfolio links. No schools have examples of great portfolios by people with no architecture experience.

Mar 29, 06 10:25 pm
undercvr

philosophy 580 or so average Columbia.

Mar 29, 06 11:41 pm  · 
 · 
aar

GRE: 590, 720, 5.5, majored in studio art, accepted at GSD, Penn, Texas, UCLA. I went to Career Discovery at Harvard over the summer, which was absolutely essential for fleshing out my portfolio as well as getting great advice from my instructor while I was there about applying.

Mar 29, 06 11:48 pm  · 
 · 
not_here

GRE: 590 V + 730 M
Johns Hopkins University, BA in Cognitive Science.
3.10GPA

In at Catholic, UMich and IIT.
Rejected at Columbia.
Waiting on UCLA.

http://xaphan.deviantart.com has my non-drawing pieces. so my portfolio was a lot stronger than that. Essentially, my portfolio consisted of various fractals, 3d renders and portrait drawings.

hope it helps.

Mar 29, 06 11:56 pm  · 
 · 
tenex

UG degree in Economics
580V 790M 5.0
3.8 GPA

Accepted to Wash U, Tulane & Ga Tech, rejected from UOregon

no portfolio link (sorry)

But I suppose I prove that the portfolio is key...mine is ok, nothing spectacular. Everything else is good (gpa, gre, etc) , and I have experience working in an architecture firm and architectural lighting design firm. I knew I didn't really have a shot at being accepted to the top schools (and no desire to go, either) so I only applied to schools where I knew I had a good chance of being admitted and thought that they had what I wanted from an architecture school

Mar 30, 06 1:44 am  · 
 · 
skeerd

GRE: 620 V 730 M 5.0
UCLA Business/Economics
3.2 GPA

Accepted to Yale, Columbia, Berkeley, Sciarc, among some others
Rejected to GSD & UCLA

look at the great grad portfolio post. some of the stuff has been taken down since but some should be up. also, if you visit schools they have accepted portfolios that you can view. about 1/3 of m.arch1's (roughly) are not arch backgrounds so basically, you've got a chance if you're serious about it. i also took the summer program at UCLA and found it very helpful and alot of schools have similar programs as well. it'll cost you about 2-3k but worth it in the whole scheme of things.

Mar 30, 06 1:53 am  · 
 · 
flickbee

BA uchicago (sociology) gpa 3.5
MA columbia (sociology)- my focus was on urban soc, culture/arts, social movements
gre was like 1420, 6.0 writing
work background in social science research/non-profit (urban stuff)
i did columbia summer studio, which was great for 1) helping me decide to make the switch 2)helping me learn more about what i wanted from arch. ed
i've also done a lot of art classes (painting, photo, sculpture, drawing) and though i can't post my portfolio, it was some stuff from summer studio, and then mostly drawing, and sculpture. it was also short (16 pages i think?) and my first attempt ever at using photoshop and indesign, so it was really rather simple. i also asked many people to look it over and give me advice, so i definitely got a lot of help there.
got into columbia, penn, and uiuc
rejected from princeton, gsd, and yale

Mar 30, 06 8:44 am  · 
 · 
brujitadulce

undergrad in poli. sci and spanish
gre was 600, 630 5.5

after college worked in non-profit in NYC, took photo at cooper union and drafting at parsons

working at an arch. firm now and i did summer academy at UT Austin (that being where i wanted to go) it was great for helping me understand grad school, figuring out if i wanted to go and learning about the application and portfolio process.

i have ZERO drawing skills (working on that now) and my portfolio was all photography - but i was told during summer academy that the layout/design/constrcution of the portfolio was as important IF NOT MORE important than the content. it's all about showing potential and an eye for design. and i'm very happy with my portfolio but i don't have a link to it...i should photograph it or something...

i'm in to UT Austin, Wash. U, Tulane - waitlisted at U. Washington.

waiting to hear on some more schools...

Mar 30, 06 9:59 am  · 
 · 
laxchc11

BA Historic Pres- Univ. of Mary Washington (3.3 GPA, 3.4 in my major)

Currently Work as Architect Intern/ Project Designer for a firm

GRE - so horrendously low I'm not going to post it (but, i got a 5/6 on the Writing portion... Math was the disaster)

My undergrad program had me heavily involved with documentation & FW, both hand & CAD drawing, Arch history, Building conservation, Pres law and planning (in addition a ton of bulls*&t courses like Museum studies and Folklore). Working for an Arch firm after graduation has helped me immensely... I feel like I learned everything I know about CAD from work. Also, Ive had a little bit of exposure to the designing aspect of architecture, something I had nothing of in college. The grad school horror stories everyone in my firm keep telling me are also helping me get ready for next year (more like freaking me out... not cool)

My portfolio had my measured drawings, photos and various projects I made in art class in college. Nothing extravagent, but it showed the extent of my architectural knowledge to this point. (looking back at it now I could have done more... oh well)

I'm going to Texas A&M this August (MArchI) since they have a fabulous Preservation program attached to their architecture dept. Their HISP program even offered me a scholarship making me eligible for instate tuition + $1000.

My advice: find what aspect of architecture you're interested in and look into programs that cater to that. Then have your portfoilio also mirror your interest. If you like the computerization aspect of the arch field, look at the programs that deal heavily with computer technology. Same is the case if you're into sustainable design/ LEED.

Good luck to you next year!

Mar 30, 06 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
mab82

*BA - Colorado College - gpa: 3.5, Studio Art - major gpa: 3.68 (note too that a lot of schools care only about your last two years or within your major)
*GRE - 500v, 700q, 5.0w (EVERYONE says this matters the least, if at all, it only seems to matter when you have to go through a general graduate school, UT Austin is a good example)
*architectural work experience (pragmatic, not design - so none of that was included in my portfolio)
*portfolio was good, but in retrospect I think it could be much better, very simple layout with little text, lots of photography (which was my focus), but also included Career Disco stuff, jewelry I've made, printmaking and some drawing - no link, sorry.

In: Penn, U of Washington
rejected: Yale, UVa, UT Austin
no clue: SCI-Arc

hope that helps. :-)

Mar 30, 06 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

My GREs: 800v, 720math, this was a few years ago and the writing test wasn't part of it yet.
My GPA was lackluster: around 3.2, and particularly weak in my later 2 years. My grades included everything from A through D.

My undergrad background was a liberal arts degree from a small middle-of-the-pack type of college.

My portfolio was a lot of drawings, pages of my sketchbooks, various conceptual sculpture, painting, etc. - mostly done outside of an academic setting, though I did take a lot of art and design courses in college. I didn't do anything like Career Discovery. I had a lot of work that I'd done over the years - more than enough to fill a portfolio and the hard part was editing it down, but I decided to go with a "more is more" approach and just let it be full and cluttered and not particularly focused.

I think my reference letters helped me. I had taken classes with some people who are relatively well known as architecture theorists and they were very encouraging and supportive.

The statement that I wrote had nothing to do with architecture or specifically with the schools to which I applied. It was more of a personal manifesto of the moment.

Accepted to Yale, MIT, GSD, Pratt, University of Illinois at Chicago
Rejected by Princeton

Mar 30, 06 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
adrineaa

undergrad Geography from Berkeley
3.8 GPA, 690V, 720M, 700A

took some painting, drawing in undergrad and continued to do it while working for the past few years. did M+M at Sci-arc, really helpful! As far as porfolios go, they really like to hear about the process and thought behind the work, don't just show pretty pictures. i had a fair bit of writing in mine.

got into UCLA, Sci-Arc, Columbia M.Arch; Penn and Berkeley for MLA

Mar 30, 06 7:53 pm  · 
 · 

last year application, if it helps...

580m, 780v, 5.5w

3.75, BScBA economics, xavier university

portfolio of writing only

only applied to cincinnati, got accepted

early draft of portfolio now, got interships at kpf-ny, ziger-snead-baltimore, interning at kpf now

Mar 30, 06 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
Liebchen

I graduated in 2004 from UNC-Greensboro with BFA in Design and Technical Theatre. School is known in North Carolina for theatre, but invisible outside of the state. Worked as a properties master in regional theatre since graduation.

GPA 3.65

No GRE scores.

Applied and accepted to RISD

Portfolio included scenery sketches, models, and photographs of the final product. Also, costume sketches. Mostly, I tried to show a creative progression of each show I featured from initial sketches to models to the finished set.

Wrote a little essay about my personal connection to architecture, why theatre design had interested me, and how that related to what I wanted to in architecture.

Good luck!

Mar 30, 06 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
Cure

im still going to the Univ of Houston (architecture). will attend Columbia Univ this summer for 3 semesters for my masters (AAD).

gpa 3.7, no gre, portoflio? my models, 3d computer mods, anything that a book lets ppl know who and what u can do?

Mar 30, 06 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
asparchitect

I graduated from Northwestern University. 3.4 gpa; gre: 680V, 740M 4.5 A

portfolio of drawings, political organizing work, models from a class I took at UC Berkeley. portfolio a little skimpy- 13 pages- in my mind.

Accepted: UPenn, MIT, U Michigan, UT Austin, Oregon, Washington
I am mostly wondering about UPenn v. MIT. my sense is they are vastly different programs, but I don't know too much. If anyone can tell me how they are different, offer advice, make a life decision for me, I would really appreciate it. Thanks...

Mar 30, 06 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
fbd97

BS in mathematics/nuclear power; 500 v, 660 m, 5 w - no link to port, sorry. accepted to UT-Austin; spent a lot of time in southeast asia/middle east - used that experiece with sports background (4 x All american) in my essay. My first and only choice was UT. I have minimum drawing experiece, but just went for it and used several mediums in my port: pencil, clay, glass, wire molds, and a few models I just made up...

Mar 31, 06 12:05 am  · 
 · 
fbd97

one last note (UT-Austin specific): the grad advisor gave me the following numbers on what they "look" at:

40% portfolio
20% statement of purpose
20% Letters of reference
10% transcript
10% GRE

-may help prioritizing your time...I'd ask the grad advisor of your prospective school what he/she thinks...

Mar 31, 06 3:11 am  · 
 · 
Cure

would st1 or anybody else know what they had for columbia?

Mar 31, 06 10:04 am  · 
 · 
broccolijet

what sport st1? that's an amazing accomplishment!

Mar 31, 06 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
fbd97

boxing

Mar 31, 06 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

even more impressive...one of my closest friends boxed for the air force academy and i have a good idea of what you went through training-wise. well done.

Mar 31, 06 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
fbd97

TOO FUNNY! I went to the Naval Academy, and my rival was at airforce!

Mar 31, 06 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
Jj01

490 600 3.099 cultural anthropology major.

accepted: Harvard GSD; MIT; RISD; Univ. of Washington; California College of Arts.

rejected: Yale.

#1 advice: PORTFOLIO
Personal statement

Mar 31, 06 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

i was at air force from '91-'95 so i might be a bit older, but it's always nice to be in touch with another service academy geek...even if you're a squid! ;)

drop me an email if you get a minute...would love to hear your backstory.

sorry about hijacking the thread for a bit everyone...back to business as usual.

Apr 1, 06 12:07 am  · 
 · 
tsquare

Jj01

can i ask where you went for unergrad?

Apr 1, 06 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
awol

my background is urban planning, and i applied to mit, berkeley, yale, uva, and penn (got into all of them, to my absolutely shocked surprise). i'd taken some of the undergrad architecture studios during my undergrad - right now i'm working on my masters in city planning.

gpa - not really that great - 4.4/5 i think it was. i always got As in studio, though i really don't think that means much.

gre - 1420. meh. i dearly hate standardized tests and my goal was to get out of there as soon as human possible.

my portfolio: http://web.mit.edu/awol/www/portfolio/

according to one of my studio professors, the portfolio is the most importnat thing and they don't really care about your grades. he claimed to not read statements either, but it was certainly useful for me to clarify to myself that this is what i wanted to do. i had my current advisor write me a recommendation even though he doesn't approve of my architectural proclivities - no idea what he said...

Apr 10, 06 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
orEqual

Nice job, non architects. You guys cleaned up!

If I could do it all over again, I would trade my worthless 4 yr. Environmental Design degree for something solid like a degree in Material Science. THEN, on to the M.Arch...

Apr 11, 06 12:21 am  · 
 · 
skeerd

awol:

nice job, i really like your portfolio. i'm curious as to what made you reject yale outright...

Apr 11, 06 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
awol

thanks! i think i posted about yale on another thread...perhaps the "open house" one? i didn't reject yale outright - i went to visit on thursday. i was favorably impressed by the open house in general, but i thought that the pinup presentation materials i saw weren't particularly compelling. the other main flaw i saw in the program was that it didn't have enough of a connection and interaction with other programs, whether it was engineering or art. having never been in an architecture school, i find that the non-architects keep me sane. and i guess the last thing is that the ways in which the digital fabrication machines are used didn't merit the glut of equipment that the school has.

Apr 11, 06 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
surface

awol I wish I could view your portfolio but the PDF is not working for me. Bummer. I looked on your rock star aspirations and you seem nice. The barefoot-at-home-ability thing was huge for me, too; it's amazing how much that can affect happiness. Good luck wherever you go!

Apr 11, 06 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
awol

hmm, how is it not working? perhaps it's the size? it is pretty big. it might work if you right-click on the link and save the file instead of trying to view the pdf in the browser.

Apr 11, 06 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
surface

I am able to download to the browser, but can see only blank pages - when I tried to save to my computer, I got a file corrupted message. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Apr 11, 06 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

Neither fine art nor arch in my background, here's the story...

B.S. in Ecology (Cook College, Rutgers Univ.), A.O.S. in Culinary Arts (NECI) and about a decade of fine dining experience as a chef.

I took to kitchen and restaurant design like a bear to berries...got swept up in it all. Quit my chef job, and have been working for an Arch firm as well as a commercial kitchen designer for about 2years.

Almost no formal training, but robust computer skills in 2d & 3d. Have started taking on restaurant jobs on my own as consultant and designer.

Only applied to Pratt. Accepted. Will defer. There's too much professional, billable work available for me right now to justify going back to school, especially at the cost of private education. Maybe UC Berkeley next year.

My portfolio was not as strong as it could have been...although i'm a pretty harsh critic of my own work. It was all digital work and photography. A nice InDesign set-up, 11" x 17" comb-bound, some sexy graphics. Definitely lacking in sketching, my weakest side, but always improving.

I'll post it at some point if i get to setting it up...

This has been a pretty interesting thread, i must say.

Thanks for other's input.

Apr 11, 06 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

Also, I think the admissions board must have looked favorably both on my portfolio as well as my culinary experience, because it sure wasn't my paltry excuse for an undergraduate gpa.

what can i say, i didn't know how to apply myself back then.

Apr 11, 06 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
awol

susansurface - i can email it to you if you really want to see it, but it's just a portfolio - there are a million people out there with a better one than me. anyway, shoot me an email if you want it.

Apr 11, 06 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
imfalling

a couple of people from stanford who got into gsd...

i think they both got a bachelors in engineering w/ specialization in arch design

http://www.stanford.edu/dept/archdesign/Docs/josephportfolio.pdf

http://www.stanford.edu/dept/archdesign/Docs/marcelaportfolio.pdf

Aug 28, 08 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
greenlander1

UPenn B.A. Bio
GRE's in 600's, math a bit higher.
GPA 3.0
my rec's and essay I think were pretty solid.

Took my portfolio v seriously.

At the time, in 1995, at least at most schools, they split the applicants into 2 diff pools, with or without undergrad arch education
So I decided to make somewhat of a gamble and try to present myself as someone who could put together architectural stuff even though I knew I was going to get put in the non architect admissions pile. I made a portfolio of my Career Discovery GSD projects that was ruthlessly architectural, i.e. no freehand sketches or drawings (which most of my non architectural classmates were putting in, like figure drawings, building sketches and such). It was really abstract and cryptic, blakc white, super minimal, stark hardline drawings and models, super simple format. In the end, it was probably more abstract then most portfolios from applicants w prior architectural education. I put in maybe 3-4 months part time fleshing out the summer projects then going back and editing the crap out of it and also getting advice from other ppl. Kind of a long time but I didn't know what I was doing back then and my application depended on it.

I got into where I applied, GSD, Sci arc, Berkeley, MIT, UCLA.

Sep 1, 08 2:02 am  · 
 · 
imfalling

greenlander, out of curiousity, who did you ask for recommendations... career disco profs? science profs? others?

and did you end up going to GSD?

Sep 6, 08 11:47 am  · 
 · 
conormac

wow. my statistics are pretty similar to all these, 3.02 GPA, (3.72 in arch hist. courses), 1400 GRE, non-arch (B.Fin - not ivy but top 50), recs from great professors, including a visiting lecturer @ GSD, applied GSD MIT UC Berkeley Yale RISD, passed over by all.

Portfolio was kind of a mess I guess - goes to show ya.

Sep 6, 08 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
imfalling

yah, from of the look of things portfolio >>>>>>> everything else.

are you planning to reapply this year, conormac?

Sep 7, 08 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
azad julien

asking for recommendations from professors has always been a mystery to me as well. which professors do you ask? does asking your favorite german/philo prof for a rec hold less water than asking your thesis adviser? are schools only concerned with former professors and not, say, former employers?

Sep 9, 08 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
greenlander1

greenlander, out of curiousity, who did you ask for recommendations... career disco profs? science profs? others?

and did you end up going to GSD?

recs from 2 drawings profs from undergrad, 1 from career disco.
yeh I went to GSD, almost was about to go to MIT and last minute I got a solid but not great financial aid package. Without the big aid, no way I wouldve gone to GSD. I was really poor at the time, not that I'm much better off now.

Oct 1, 08 1:10 am  · 
 · 
greenlander1

that stanford guy has some nice paintings!

Oct 1, 08 1:11 am  · 
 · 
conormac

imfalling- to respond almost 2 months later - yes I am planning to apply this year, looking back on my essays & portfolio I'm sure I can improve both significantly

Nov 1, 08 9:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: