Archinect
anchor

all things BRITISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Artic Monkeys are over-rated. Same thing with The Kaiser Chiefs.

Mar 29, 06 9:58 am  · 
 · 
SpringFresh

frank gehry is over rated,

Mar 29, 06 10:04 am  · 
 · 
SpringFresh

i think peter cook would wina celebrity death match with thom mayne...
discuss

Mar 29, 06 10:10 am  · 
 · 
ochona

gotta say, "footballers' wives" is a helluva lot better than "desperate housewives"...oh wait, is that considered "culture?"

but then again, "sanford and son" was a helluva lot funnier than "steptoe and son" and the beatles stole rock and roll from buddy holly. and norman foster stole the butt-glazed curtain wall from SOM.

and the first time american soldiers roamed the streets of new orleans we were kicking some redcoat ass. 1814, yo.

Mar 29, 06 10:42 am  · 
 · 
mouse

Yes, ochona, sure were. I guess nowadays they'd be called terrorist scum.

Mar 29, 06 10:52 am  · 
 · 
ochona

on the other hand, the brits survived the blitz and cracked the enigma code and invented the mini.

truce, yo. peace out.

Mar 29, 06 11:10 am  · 
 · 
mouse

The mini was designed by an italian.

Mar 29, 06 11:16 am  · 
 · 
mouse

The proper mini I mean, not this crappy new one.

Mar 29, 06 11:17 am  · 
 · 
A

Is it just me, or has Archinect been invaded over the past week by very childish threads?

Mar 29, 06 11:23 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski
Richie: Ricardo what kind of pastry should I get?

Ricardo: Well Richie I think the coolest pastry at the moment is definitely the eccles cake.

Magda: Ricardo, they dont have eccles cakes here, this is Ubercool Berlin, third coolest place in the world after Peckham and Bournemouth.

Richie: Well how about a hot cross bun but without the cross, you know like a deconstructed non-religious version. With just a little cinnamon and really plump juicy raisins in it. Kinda cool and minimal...

Magda: Richie, I think youve just hit on the coolest cake since the last coolest cake we got here!

Richie: Magda, how fucking cool is this?

Magda: Pretty fucking cool, Richie, and not just cool, but minimal cool!

twinkies vs. eccles cake?
Mar 29, 06 11:33 am  · 
 · 
soulikeit

A, its just you. But u know what. You could always make it more architectural.

Kudos to Chairman Mao and Mouse.

TEC UK yo.

Mar 29, 06 7:13 pm  · 
 · 

damn, go to sleep for a few hours and 60 posts pop up out of the ether.

crazy.

k, mr. soulikeit dude, so the americans have taken the beux-arts from europe. which is why america looks so much like europe when you visit. it is so hard to discern one country from the other really, they are so identical after all that copyin.

dude, culture travels. s why the brits and the french are gettin so bleedin fat, and why tokyo has a red and white copy of the eifel tower and want to turn shinjuku into manhattan.

education wise i am not so sure you can say that the AA educated Rem, whether he went there or not. But even if you did, thang is the man started his career by studyin and copyin the manhattan architecture. not by studyin and copyin chris wren (who was after all copyin the romans and italians as best he could to begin with). AND he was totally influenced by venturi et al, who are not british but american. the whole architecture as reality with a twist thing ain't a british invention (yall did hyper-reality remember), so basically your claim to fame is that you don't kick smart foreign people out of your country. while admirable thats hardly a nationalist slogan to really get behind.

...but anyway, who cares. can't we all jes get along and be friends?

Mar 29, 06 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

why can't WE be friends?

that song was by the band war, which was composed (mostly) of african-americans from LA, which contained one mr. eric burdon for its first few years, who was english, who became famous singing an american blues song about a house in a city that was once french and once spanish and for a very short interlude in my aforementioned post...once british

jump, amen...culture does travel.

oh and by the way, the other white guy in war was a harmonica player from denmark.

Mar 29, 06 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
soulikeit

what do u mean he went there or not. REM KOOLHAS WAS, YES WAS, EDUCATED at AA.

be friends with you, u gotta be kidding?

can't imagine an 18 year old teen owning a wat, 25 year old? 32 year old architect? i call these sweetness.

friends why not?

Mar 29, 06 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
soulikeit

i beg to differ about the whole concept of how culture travel. the AMERICANS just freakin copied the British and invented some pretty sweet things that I admit, and said that it was original and totally theirs.

Talk about betrayal.

Mar 29, 06 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Paul Smith is good...

British food is bad...

Mar 29, 06 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
soulikeit

Americans know nothing about food but some stupid gobstoppers.

Mar 29, 06 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
Post Nazi

soulikeit, You are a nimwit.

Dunce hat and corner time for you!!

Mar 29, 06 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
soulikeit

boooooowaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. shoo.

Mar 29, 06 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

What could be better than that?

Mar 29, 06 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
soulikeit

I would love to have some of that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mar 29, 06 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
soulikeit

ceasefire?

Mar 29, 06 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
upside

"There is no cannibalism in the British Navy, absolutely none, and when I say none, I mean there is a certain amount."
- Sir John Cunningham

I didn't know he was dead; I thought he was British. Woody Allen

can we have this dicussion in december? or are you scottish and couldnt give a shit about the ashes?

Mar 29, 06 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

upside down poses an interesting question....

soulikeit, are you scottish? if so I think that changes the discussion a bit....I mean don't you hate the queen, etc?

Mar 29, 06 8:50 pm  · 
 · 

not sayin rem didn't GO to the AA, only that i am not so sure he LEARNED anything there. that is i don't think the AA can claim to have actually MADE him, ya know. No more than rem made zaha, though he did take her under his wing.

My suspicion is that Rem was/is one of those people who are kinda on there way to where they are going even before anyone begins to tell them how they might get there. kinda thing. zaha was the same. rem even wrote about it once on her report card (no joke).

best food in london is thai food. 5 pounds for all you can eat lunch always beat the hell out of sandwiches. now THAT was a culture shock, EVERYONE eating sandwiches for lunch every day...drove me nuts.

Mar 29, 06 8:55 pm  · 
 · 

lovely upside down. lol.

Mar 29, 06 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

"Good artists borrow, great artists steal."
-Pablo Picasso

I'll admit, I'm a Norman Foster fan, have been for forever, and I think Hearst Tower (which was a totally stolen design) is the prettiest tall building to go up in midtown NY in quite some time. But then again I couldn't say wether or not british architects are better than american ones. BTW, Janosh, that pic reminds me of my trip to Ireland, god the food in that part of the world is bad. Beer's good though...

Mar 29, 06 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I like Lutyens...

...and no culture can do a country garden like the British can, that's for sure.

Mar 29, 06 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
upside

The English are not happy unless they are miserable, the Irish are not at peace unless they are at war, and the Scots are not at home unless they are abroad. George Orwell

Mar 29, 06 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
soulikeit

no one can design a building like the British can.
----------- soulikeit

Mar 29, 06 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

wow ... what did this turn into ?? ... funny tho ..

Mar 30, 06 12:06 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

wow ... what did this turn into ?? ... funny tho ..

Mar 30, 06 12:06 am  · 
 · 
soulikeit

so is this thread dead for sure?

Mar 30, 06 2:25 am  · 
 · 
sharpie.

yeah, like all things British!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mar 30, 06 2:35 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

^ hahaha ....

Mar 30, 06 2:50 am  · 
 · 
soulikeit

laugh like u mean it.

Mar 30, 06 5:51 am  · 
 · 
soulikeit

laugh like u mean it.

Mar 30, 06 5:51 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

sorry ... here you go ..

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

lol .. is that good enough, your highness

Mar 30, 06 6:27 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

sorry ... here you go ..

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

lol .. is that good enough, your highness

· 
sporadic supernova

ooopss...

· 
soulikeit

supernova, lets call a truce, a ceasefire, or whatever u call it.

Mar 30, 06 7:21 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

what happened soul.... ?
stop being a sissy..come out and fight like a man

The way to endure summer in England is to have it framed and glazed in a comfortable room
---Horace Walpole 1717-1797

Mar 30, 06 7:24 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

Unmitigated noodles
--Kaiser Wilhelm II on England

Mar 30, 06 7:25 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

I know why the sun never sets on the British Empire, God would never trust an Englishman in the dark
---Duncan Spaeth

Mar 30, 06 7:25 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

An Englishman will burn his house to get rid of rats.
--Indian saying

Mar 30, 06 7:26 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

London, dirty little pool of life.

Mar 30, 06 7:27 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

The ordinary Britisher imagines that God is an Englishman
--Bernard Shaw

· 
Nevermore

England is a nation of shopkeepers.
--Napoleon Bonaparte

· 
Nevermore

The English think that incompetence is the same thing as sincerity.
---Quentin Crisp, British writer, in the New York Times, 1977

Mar 30, 06 7:28 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

The English have no exaulted sentiments. They can all be bought.
---Napoleon

Mar 30, 06 7:28 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: