Archinect
anchor

"Frameless" Glass entry doors

beefeaters

Does anyone know of a good frameless glass entry system? 

Is a frameless glass door even possible if the project is a typhoon-prone area? 

Anyone have any experience specing these? 

Apr 20, 11 3:39 pm
Rusty!

It's commonly known as a Herculite Door, based on manufacturer that used to make them. They typically have continuous fittings at the top and the bottom, although patch fittings are possible as well. 

These doors can be hurricane rated. It depends on glass performance criteria. I've speced dozens of these doors. It goes under 084126 - ALL-GLASS ENTRANCES AND STOREFRONTS.

Apr 20, 11 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
beefeaters

Thanks rusty!

I didn't know they were called that, all i was finding were the chunky aluminum framed ones. 

Apr 20, 11 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Some additional info: your glass will have to be Fully Tempered (as opposed to just Kind Tempered), and you will have to use continuous rail fittings on top and bottom in order for the assembly to be storm resistant. 

Apr 20, 11 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Fully tempered, sure, that's obvious, but how do you keep the water out?

Apr 20, 11 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

You don't. You have a vestibule that comes equipped with drain underneath the recessed entrance matt frame. It really depends on the project specifics.

Apr 20, 11 8:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: