Archinect
anchor

Zumthor "Thinking Architecture"

harrodna

I know this has been a past topic on the boards but I thought I would refresh it.

Amazon, in February said that "Thinking Architecture" was released but I never got around to ordering it. Now when I have the money, I go back there and it says that it will not be released until sometime in August. Was the book printed back in February and already sold out, or was it a mistake on amazon?

Mar 21, 06 9:55 pm
impalajunkie

no, not sold out, it isn't released yet.
I ordered it January 4, called yesterday because I realized I hadn't received it yet, and they said it's still not released. :(
now if i could only find a copy of Works at a decent price...

Mar 22, 06 7:47 am  · 
 · 
zrose717

amazon has it for only $1,638.37...sweet deal.

click here

~Z

Mar 22, 06 12:19 pm  · 
 · 

After reading all the fuss over this book, I read it a couple of years ago and found it forgettable, even trite.

Mar 22, 06 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

$1,638.37?! Why, that's only $27.8 per each of the 59 pages! What a steal!

Mar 22, 06 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
outed

princeton arch. press's website says the new release date is june 1. seems awfully crazy for such a little book, but then again it took nearly 12 years since eisenman's book on terragni was first announced to actually get it on the shelves....

Mar 22, 06 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
the cellardoor whore

'phenomenological' cunnilingus.theres something of that in his baths as well. i know someone who wanted to lick his walls. or suck, i forgot.
in any case extra stone polish. heres me thinking it would better serve as a euro-liberal 'sleaze'-centre, a sex club if you want exactness. that way everytime anyone comes over zumthor's stuff, there is an explicit reason and so no need for another-pheno-freak eyebrow raise.

Mar 22, 06 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
the cellardoor whore

or rather cums, i'm not sure why its spelled that way though.

Mar 22, 06 5:31 pm  · 
 · 

I think that's discussed in On Being Blue by Gass.

oh cum all ye faithful?

Mar 22, 06 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
AP

the book might not be great (I haven't read it, so I can't comment).

the Baths are.

Mar 22, 06 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
gillespie

just wanted to pass along ... confirmed wednesday that they have published both "thinking architecture" and "atmospheres." they have showed up as available on overstock.com, with some conflicting sources on whether they are available on amazon.com.

anyway, go forth and buy. unless you have your heart set on a first addition, this will only set you back 25-40 dollars. not the several hundred that some people are asking for their copies.

Jun 9, 06 10:46 am  · 
 · 
Becker

Both Atmosphere's, and Thinking Architecture are available in bookstores (selected) in Australia.

Jun 9, 06 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
fulcrum

the real expensive one is "Peter Zumthor Works."

Jun 10, 06 1:42 am  · 
 · 
circle

This is weird, I saw this post a while ago and had no idea what yall were talking about and forgot about it.

Later, I checked this book out at the library because Zumthor was mentioned on this OCW assignment at MIT. As I have to filter what I read and don't read because of limited time before applying to design school, I decided to return it and perhaps go back to it a few years from now.

Should I go back to the library and give it another chance? From what I read it wasn't very structured and didn't seem to have clear points, lessons, purposes, etc... More or less seemed like a guy talking about architecture very loosely and inspirational.

Anyways, why buy the book if the library at a design school like ISU has it?

Jun 11, 06 1:42 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

copies of "Thinking Architecture" and "Atmosphers" are available at a cheaper price and in Canadian dollars at Amazon.ca I ordered mine early last week and received it by Friday. US buyers might have to pay for shipping, which shouldn't be expensive.

Jun 12, 06 12:09 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: