Archinect
anchor

OMA USA splitting from OMA Europe??

Janosh

Momentum - exactly my fear:

"Bad weather retreated and scientists counted toward a 5.30 am zero-hour. Attention focused on the tower, again bathed in light. At the top was a metal shack and in the shed, the bulbous form known as 'the gadget' - a strangely benign tag for a weapon so formidable that some wondered if the test soon to take place would consume the compound, the city of Los Alamos about 240km away, or the state of New Mexico, or whether detonation of this first atomic bomb would be simply set the atmosphere on fire and smother the world."

May 14, 06 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

::yawnnnnnnnnnnnn::

where's Bill, Ted?

May 14, 06 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
thenewold

anyone have serious comments ?

May 14, 06 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

here's a new rumor:

israel kanderian may be making moves to split from Archinect taking with him all Archinect team members currently located in New York, the Image Gallery, and the Job's Section. Simultaneously Mr. Kanderian might take over Eric Own Moss' position as director at SCI-Arc. Rumor has it by the end of the year a new website will be up combining the awesome powers of Archinect, and the endless rantings of current and former SCI-Arc students into one bitchin' site. All parties involved (sans EOM) maintain they will continue to collaborate in the future, however Paul may or may not have expressed some displeasure in the wake of another rumor stating kanderian may have plans on taking the "Pimpin Architecture since '97" slogan for his new site.

The new site will reportly have new sections devoted to Sex, Drugs, Sex & Drugs, Technology, Materials, How to Promote yourself as the Future Director of SCI-Arc, and of course a place in the new discussions section titled: "SCI-Arc vs everyone else". It was surmised this would be placed permanently at the top of the discussion section, as it would of course continually get the most activity.

disclaimer: all above information is bullshit to my knowledge, please don't anyone sue

May 14, 06 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
Vicente Rodriguez

i work in a nyc architect studio and have some good friends in oma-nyc. its true... it has been true for 3 weeks already, when they notified the staff of the split up... its sad, but rem had it coming...

May 14, 06 3:01 pm  · 
 · 

Seriously, I'm waiting for the TV show.

May 14, 06 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
jts329

Let me preface my comment by saying that I love OMA and JPR and all that, but does anyone find it funny that the new firm, "REX" or maybe "REXNY," I don't know, is latin for king? First Josh "Prince"-Ramus, then "REX" NY, whats next? I know there was some rumor about Rem going into politics, but should we be on the lookout for JPR '08 campaign posters?

May 14, 06 3:15 pm  · 
 · 

Yes, Artifact of Ottopia No. 118 and Artifact of Ottopia No. 119 are presently sleeping in the basement.

May 14, 06 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly
May 14, 06 7:19 pm  · 
 · 

Slim lined sheik faced
Angel of the night
Riding like a cowboy
In the graveyard of the night
New York witch in the dungeon
Of the day
I'm trying to write my novel
But all you do is play

Mince pie dog-eye
Eagle on the wind
I'm searching through this garbage
Looking for a friend
Your uncle with an alligator
Chained to his leg
Dangles you your freedom
Then he offers you his bed

It seems to me to dream
Is something too wild
In Max's Kansas City
You a belladonna child
Riding on the highways
On the gateways to the south
You're talking with your Prada boots
And you're walking with your S,M,L,XL mouth

Baby Boomerang
Baby Boomerang
You never spike a person
But you always bang the whole gang
Thank you ma'am

May 14, 06 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

they should rethink their new name...

May 14, 06 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
thenewold

once again, any serious comments
?

May 14, 06 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
jzxy

Wow, this is the best gossip regarding architecture practice today. Archinect blogsphere has outdone all!

p.s. That rumor about Israel taking over the SciArc is pretty tongue and cheek. Haha.

May 14, 06 10:02 pm  · 
 · 

does anyone not care about this as much as i do?

May 14, 06 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

golden nose slim
golden nose slim
i know where u been
purple pie pete
purple pie pete
your lips are like lightning girls melt in the heat
telegram sam
telegram sam
you are my main man...
automatic shoes
automatic shoes
gimme 3d vision
and the california blues
me i funk but i dont care
i aint no square
with my cork screw hair...

May 14, 06 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
thenewold

any ? is everyone a cretin ?

May 14, 06 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Or possibly this is not that interesting? Just throwing out ideas.

May 14, 06 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

I think the glib remarks are lending this thread an appropriate level of gravitas.

May 14, 06 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

it is not that interesting at all. a business has split up. this happens every goddamn day. and oh josh doesn't want to be a star. you can read it in every interview or article about him. so please quit talking about him in this manner. you are being disrepectful to his wishes. and if you do not see the inherent and profound meanings about this topic in the posted t.rex lyrics, well then you just have not been paying attention. you see we are giving "REX" a bit of brand identity. brand identity is the future of architecture and the future of architecture firms. As you can see by their choice of names, they are afraid to stray to far from the REMster, Now its time to change the litter box. Wheres that new york times at???

May 14, 06 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
word!

Wooptie - doo.

Wooptie doo

EIEIEI O

May 14, 06 11:41 pm  · 
 · 
word!

i heard the S is splitting from SOM.... pretty crazy stuff....

May 14, 06 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

I heard that DJ Drama is no Longer reppin the dirty irty. What do you guys think of that?

May 14, 06 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i heard reo split up...

May 14, 06 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
May 15, 06 12:00 am  · 
 · 
waxwings

The tragedy of Oedipus Rex is not so much that Oedipus commits two horrible crimes; after all, he was fated to do so, and committed them unknowingly. It is, rather, that he, like his doomed parents before him, ran headlong into the destiny he was trying to defy, and then compounded his evils by his imperious refusal to believe the prophet's declaration of his guilt. Pride was his downfall. The Greeks had a distinct word for this: "Hubris," a heroically foolish defiance; the feeling that one is beyond the reaches of authority or convention.

May 15, 06 12:42 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

well ... so thats done with ..

May 15, 06 1:06 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I'm w/dot - I care nothing about this.

But in the newold's defense, s/he posted an actual discussion point:

Anyone have thoughts on the weird contradiction betwen JPR talking repeatitively about the ideal office as one of 'collaboration, and group authorship' versus the 'issues of authorship' ? These seem incompatible.

Also, is JPR's ideal even possible in a culture of clients like those for the Dallas theater project. Is it inevitable that the only sort of clients who are willing to underwrite high profile, high dollar projects are the sort who worship celebrity?

Only two sips into my first coffee, I have no ideas re: the authorship debate. But re: clients hiring a "name": JPR is obviously a smart guy, and no one leaves a firm to start on their own w/o having made some arrangements with existing clients. JPR has relationsjips with clients and potential clients and benefactors in high places - existing REM networks still exist for REX, just in a new form.

god where's my coffee...

May 15, 06 7:35 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Perhaps what I'm about to say is negated by Jesse Seegers comment above (re: REX is latin for "king"), and perhaps I'm swinging to the nerd side of the pendulum again, but is anyone else annoyed that he derived "REX" from Ramus Ella Architects? Um, that spells REA. Not REX. We can't just go around throwing new letters into our acronyms all willy-nilly.

I'm going to start a firm called WonderK Architects. You will be able to find us at www.WE-RULE.com....

May 15, 06 10:16 am  · 
 · 
jts329

YES! Maybe he was going for the X sound at the end of architects? like, hmmm... architex? JPR going for some street cred? Ramus Ella architeX?

May 15, 06 11:44 am  · 
 · 
silverlake

maybe he was inspired by LAX - Los Angeles Airport...

and he's reafirming the collaborative notion and its dependence on the commuting of different minds via flight.... yawn

May 15, 06 11:54 am  · 
 · 
silverlake

btw i don't really care either...

May 15, 06 11:55 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

he who desires constant success must change his conduct with the times. machiavelli

May 15, 06 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

OMY!

May 15, 06 12:46 pm  · 
 · 

OMG LOL PLLC

May 15, 06 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
thenewold

amazing how many people took the time to let it be known publically that they 'don't care about this'. that they weighed in on the debate by saying they're not gonna weigh in on it. oma have always been slightly unique in the amount of people who talk at length about how oma aren't worthy of being talked about.

the questions this matter raises should be serious to anyone who wants to build good buildings for their living. this is a very noteworthy event precisely because oma's mode of operating an architectural challenged (mostly sucessfully) much of the common wisdom about how architecture happens. how work is pursued, how clients are dealt with, the place of hierarchy, issues of authorship and collaboration.

the issues of how good architecture happens are just as important as the more easily parsed issues of what someone thinks architecture 'should be'.

if you really don't care, please don't waste board space telling us so.

May 15, 06 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
thenewold

'operating an architectural office' I should have said.

May 15, 06 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

what are the issues to which you refer thenewold? to say that oma is operating in a different way than other firms without giving examples doesn't add much to the conversation. from what i've seen they operate very much as my firm does. people work on and develop their projects and give their best to the principles for the thumbs up or thumbs down. its called collaboration and every firm i've worked in has worked this way.
how is their firm structured differently. are you talking about dress codes or health benefits or pay or what exactly? and please define good buildings because imho oma's buidings really aren't that good. conceptually i disagree with almost every oma project i've encountered. and i'll site a couple of examples. the iit building spent most of its budget soundproofing an el train. illinois has more freakin train tracks than almost any other state. trains rule. people pay good money for apartments that are five feet from the el track. instead of hiding the train they should have celebrated it. they should have used the analogy of the train station in their project. they could have saved some money on their little tunnel and actually used some non crap materials. secondly, the prince was referring to the seattle library as a sublime building. he was using sublime in a kantian definition ie as something that is unknowable. give me a freakin break, the last thing a building should be is unknowable particularly if its a library for godsakes, but these great architects and their great concepts and silver sandals are so good and serious about making "good" buildings that they use corrupt and condescending concepts to do so. oh and i really don't care.

May 15, 06 6:07 pm  · 
 · 

Cold winds blow around me,
And I can’t help but think of you.
All the things we wanted,
All the things we had to do.
Wrap yourself around me,
We can steal away sometime.
Your whispers surround me,
But it’s only in my mind.

’cuz I’m walking away from,
Walking away from things in my own past.
Walking away from,
Walking away from things that just won’t last.

You got what you wanted,
But you can’t help but think of me.
All the things you wanted,
All the things you got for free.
One thing to remember
Is that I have feelings, too.
I surely would have closed my eyes
If I had known the real you.

Walking away from,
And I’m walking away from,
Walking away from things that move too fast.

Walking away from,
And I’m walking away from,
Walking away from things that move too fast.
Walking away from,
Walking away from things in my own past...

And concerning issues of authorship, copyright law (something every designer should read) is the only real standard to go by.

or

"How dare you reenact my reenactment!"

May 15, 06 6:18 pm  · 
 · 

theneworld,

i don't care that you don't care that i don't care...cross-mojonization

May 15, 06 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
job job

what's omg lol PLLC

i googled:
nerd talk pllc
pllc urban slang

it's not superimportant - just keeping up with the forum monkeys

prof ltd liability corp -OR- pig-licking lice-cube!

ex----> lmao you strawberry-shortcakin', pllc gfyhsgt lol yyhm

May 16, 06 7:54 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

NewOld what does your name mean anyway? Are you some sort of Indie rocker? Are you down to 'trap or die'? and why do you leave your girlfriends in my bed all the time?

May 16, 06 9:49 am  · 
 · 
Norman Blogster
The story according to Norm ;)
May 16, 06 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
jlxarchitect

"Mr. Prince-Ramus could not articulate how his aesthetic might differ from that of Mr. Koolhaas and said he shares O.M.A.'s belief in the importance of research over form, approaching a project in terms of the programmatic and structural problems that need to be solved. "

-New York Times

Form is OMA's most important concern! That is right. I finally get this confirmed!

May 16, 06 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
Josh Emig

Uh ... that's not what he said.

May 16, 06 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
curt clay

in response to Vado...

"what are the issues to which you refer thenewold? to say that oma is operating in a different way than other firms without giving examples doesn't add much to the conversation. from what i've seen they operate very much as my firm does. people work on and develop their projects and give their best to the principles for the thumbs up or thumbs down. its called collaboration and every firm i've worked in has worked this way."

My thinking is usually in line with yours but I have to disagree with you on this one.... Technically, yes, OMA works like other firms in that there are groups of people collaborating on projects to produce a final product, but there are very few architectural firms tackling socio-policial issues in such a direct way as OMA. Maybe if more architecture firms had the EU as a client, they would. I don't know what your firm is, but if you are tackling issues like representing the history of Europe, global population growth, etc... in such a direct way as OMA is, I'd be impressed.

"how is their firm structured differently. are you talking about dress codes or health benefits or pay or what exactly? and please define good buildings because imho oma's buidings really aren't that good. conceptually i disagree with almost every oma project i've encountered. "

but how do you define "good"?

"and i'll site a couple of examples. the iit building spent most of its budget soundproofing an el train. illinois has more freakin train tracks than almost any other state. trains rule. people pay good money for apartments that are five feet from the el track. instead of hiding the train they should have celebrated it. they should have used the analogy of the train station in their project. they could have saved some money on their little tunnel and actually used some non crap materials. "

I'd actually completely disagree with you. I'd say from the inside (and on the exterior) the train track actually IS celebrated. The buildling is forecefully dominated by the tube on the exterior, and on the interior you can walk up to the underside of the tube and actually feel the vibrations of the train. To take what is normally regarded as completely useless and degenerate space (under the tracks) and use it in a meaningful way is a very powerful statement for Chicago imho.

"secondly, the prince was referring to the seattle library as a sublime building. he was using sublime in a kantian definition ie as something that is unknowable. give me a freakin break, the last thing a building should be is unknowable particularly if its a library for godsakes, but these great architects and their great concepts and silver sandals are so good and serious about making "good" buildings that they use corrupt and condescending concepts to do so."

... I've never been to this building so I can't comment.

"oh and i really don't care."

Yes you do. :)

What's really on your mind Vado???

May 16, 06 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

'there are very few architectural firms tackling socio-policial issues in such a direct way as OMA'

curtclay, how so? (diagrams, interesting pie charts, witty observations, etc don't count)

May 16, 06 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
TheArchitect

Vado, JohnProlly and all....Please name some architecturefirms that you find interesting.

I think you just don't get it. OMA/koolhaas is widely regarded as the most influential architect of our time. If you dont find the work of koolhaas important what is then?

Is it the endless and repetitive facination with curvy forms from Gehry?

Or steven holls weak atempts at doing "contemporary" architecture?

Do you find Zaha's buildings interesting because they look cool and sleek?

Look at buildings like the Seattle Public Library, or Casa da Musica in porto. Those are the most hardcore kick-ass beautifull, modern, and conceptionally strong buildings on the planet.

Look at early unbuilt projects like Trés Grande Biblioteque or the university library of Jussieu.

Read books like SMLXL and Content. Koolhaas is one of few architects who actually understands (and somehow celebrates) the fucked up world we operate in. (As oposed to american starchitects who seems to live inside a hermetically sealed bubble of avantgarde theroy)

May 16, 06 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
cypress

The Architect --- I couldn't agree with you more. Damn Straight.

May 16, 06 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
Northeaster

TheArchitect, you're right on.
Perhaps more so than anyone Koolhaas understand what a sham the architectural world can be.

May 16, 06 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
Becker

i agree

what i love about Koolhaas is that he has an honest passion. he has retained integrity through everything he has done (unlike the others mentioned above). He has made an opinion on what he believes is important.valuable. i like that. he stands for something.

Where i don't like Koolhaas is that i don't fully agree with his stand point/view. i thik it is far too narrow. ...so, i respect them, but i don't necessarily like them.

May 16, 06 8:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: