Archinect
anchor

LA Cornfield Competition

Marlin

siggy: thread hijack prevention, i agree.

Nov 3, 06 8:21 pm  · 
 · 

haha. just think of eating a watermelon at the end of jugging and take home 3-4 vine ripened t's eat. i would prefer beefsteak to cherry. but that's just me. who says you can't read in a zucchini field?

damn, you got me confused between fallen fruit and architecture sucks tee shirts. what'll be i don't know. i guess turn back and go to oxnard.

Nov 3, 06 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
Marlin

The Lost Streams of los Angeles.

A persuasive feauture article popped up this past week in the LA Weekly on the past, present and future of Los Angeles' natural watershed.

Nov 14, 06 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
Marlin

(. . . "feature" )

Nov 14, 06 2:33 pm  · 
 · 

i have seen many creeks and creek beds in people's backyards all the way from topanga, santa monica to pasedena over 30 years. great feature taht needs to go to news section, if i may.

Nov 14, 06 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Thanks Marlin & Orhan - great article! This subject seems to be revisited every 10 years or so. i recall an article highlighting the last remaining stream through korea town in the Weekly, back in the 90s.

$14 b seems quite reasonable to clean up santa monica bay... it cost over $1b for boston to clean the harbor and that city is 1/20th the size of LA. If LA can get a great network of parks out of the deal, then even better!!! Maybe Olmstead will be vindicated 100 years later. Maybe I have to move back to LA now...

Anne Spirn was one originators of the daylighting movement, and spent most of the 1970s and 80s working in West Philadelphia to restore Mill Creek, as it was swallowing up several poor neighborhoods. If you want more info, read the language of landscape. I just posted a review of her book.

Nov 14, 06 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
Marlin

Public radio's most objective, non-partisan superhost moderates a discussion with the L.A. Confield competitors on Which Way LA? includes competitors Thom Mayne, Mia Lehrer and Arthur Golding on Check it out Here on KCRW.com! and archived Here

Nov 16, 06 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
Marlin

(my keyboard is sticky..)

Nov 16, 06 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
Alan Loomis

KCRW reports the competition winner will be announced tomorrow.

Nov 17, 06 12:05 am  · 
 · 
jkaliski

Re: KCRW - professional courtesy is a bore. Warren tried but no one would bite. There will probably be fewer opportunities to yak if we can't agree to disagree with courtesy.

Nov 17, 06 1:19 am  · 
 · 
siggy

Yup, it's a pretty tame interview. Poor Warren with is emphasized "DODGER STADIUM would MOOOVE???!" and Thom's "yup".

Hmmm. Who to place bets on? I'm going with Hargreave. There. I said it. ;)

Nov 17, 06 11:59 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

is there something that thom knows about LA politics that everybody else doesn't?

wow- arthur golding is so full of himself. but that what happens when your sitting next to an ego as big as george!

mia is rather clever with her mantra of community, community, community... glad that mO-fO has gotten under her skin so she started parroting thoms discussion bout the stadium.

Nov 17, 06 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

!!!!!!!! Hargreaves got the job... well since he didn't get the great OC park, socal needs at least one of his bump scapes.

siggy - good call.

Nov 17, 06 8:31 pm  · 
 · 

wait, which team is Golding a part of? I had him for studio 3rd year and he was a complete dick. His topic studios routinely got cancelled because nobody signed up for them...

Nov 17, 06 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

hargraves = george = golding. so he's consistant with being full of it!

Nov 18, 06 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
nitpicker

I just want to take a moment and say how much I appreciate the many thoughtful and interesting posts that this topic has attracted. I really value this kind of free exchange of ideas.

and thos of you who were not thoughtful and interesting were, at least, occasionally entertaining.

I wanted to make special mention of marlin's long post of 10/25/06, which was in response to a challenge I made. I really appreciate what you said, and I'm sorry I wasn't able to say so at the time.

onward!

Nov 19, 06 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
jkaliski

Regardless of Mr. Goldings studio musings, he has been at this Cornfields thing longer than anybody else. It was his drawings that helped galvanized the community in the first place to reject the idea that the railyard be turned into a "business park". He should be congratulated (and feel vindicated) for having a vision and sticking to it for over ten years. I found his comments on Olney's show measured and mature.

Nov 19, 06 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

that Mr. Golding was the catylist for the emergance of the cornfield park had faded into the mists my memory... I take back my snide comment about him.

Are there any jury comments being published to delve further into the selection of the winning team?

Nov 20, 06 3:10 pm  · 
 · 

I knew he was really into the river, but honestly.... most people I know can't stand listening to the man long enough to find out any more. I can only conclude that he must have partnered with some excellent people who managed to express their and his ideas more elegantly than I've ever heard him speak.

Nov 20, 06 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
mm

Even though they didn't win, Mo-FO did get a lot of good press out of all of this...

Nov 20, 06 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
siggy

they definately did, mm. mmmmmm hmmmm. (sorry, I couldn't resist)

Nov 20, 06 7:49 pm  · 
 · 

Breaking News

Public meeting today and Saturday for the Cornfields specific plan.

Thursday, November 6th, 6-7:30pm
and
Saturday, November 8th, 10-11:30am

plus ARUP is now assisting the creation of the EIR

previous development that I missed:
Hargreave had two design workshops over the summer. worth checking out the links - some pretty pictures have been made available.

It's really nice to see the park moving forward, even if there are other alternatives worthy of consideration.

Nov 6, 08 10:33 pm  · 
 · 

*BUMP*
Funding slashed

Dec 8, 10 5:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: