Archinect
anchor

HELP!!! Workind In Europe- Visas and Work Permit

queenbeez

Hi All,

I could use some advice and input. I have been talking to an Italian architecture firm that is interested in hiring me. They have asked me to research the details in getting a work permit and visa in their country for they know it is very difficult to attain one. From my own research, I have found that there are 90 day visas and for extended stay/ work  the company must sponsor the individual but they must first apply by showing why they needed to hire someone outside of the EU. 

If you have any suggestions, tips around this I would really appreciate it. I would love to work for this firm and am hoping that my portfolio and bilingual tounge would be satisfactory proof of my hire.

Thanks!

Jan 20, 12 10:38 am
queenbeez

Anyone? Anyone have experience working in Europe?

Jan 20, 12 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
Philson

I have experience working in Europe, but Europe is quite vast and each country is dramatically different in terms of acquiring the required documentation / permits. In Denmark the process was seamless, the firm or business acts as a host and sets up the work permit, you need to fill out the required paper work etc. 

My experience with Italy is that it is extremely slow when it comes to government processes - paperwork etc. not being rude just an observation. This means you should act as soon as possible to ge the required documentation. 

I did a quick google search and found this site, among others. I would also google the Italian embassy closest to your current location (home country) and go to their website, or location asap. Have a valid passport etc. 

best of luck. If you have any other questions ask away. 

Jan 20, 12 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
queenbeez

Thanks Phil, I also saw that website. However my concern is how long and how difficult it will be to attain a work permit. The firm emailed me saying: 

" We would like to offer you a position, however I would suggest you to collect more information regarding your permit visa as it is not easy now for non EU residents.

Please get back to us with more details.
Best regards,"

Im hoping this doesnt thwart my chances of getting the job.

Jan 20, 12 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
xinyuli

I got a year long internship offer from a great firm in Paris last year, but I finally gave up after I have been struggling with their visa / working permit for 2 months .... 

Jan 20, 12 3:23 pm  · 
 · 

The EU has certain things in place to try and give the jobs to EU citizens first. This doesn't mean you cant get through it. I worked in London for a few years (much different than EU policies... much more difficult and now very expensive ) and have gotten 2 different Visas for 2 different offices in Germany (Im in Munich now). The EU visas for Americans are about 40 euro per year, so pretty cheap. My English visa took 3 months, my first German visa took 4 days, and my second German visa took about a month. You can have all sorts of experiences and headaches. For all 3 of my visas, my company was contacted by government officials who had conversations like, "You know this person isn't from the EU right? You know we have xxxx qualified workers in the EU right? Why would you want to hire a non-EU? blah blah blah". The office will just have to say, "its what we want" and thats pretty much it. Considering you (im assuming) have a university diploma, it will not be very difficult. It may take some time though. Find the nearest Italian Embassy/Consulate to you and call them. Embassies are generally pretty nice people. 

Also... in Germany (I think this is also in all of the EU but check) you can do business in the country as a US citizen for up to 90 days. Not just be a tourist, but actually work and pay taxes (the best part!). I have a friend who lives in Boston and works for an office in Germany. He just flies over for 2 months or so and leaves for a few months and then comes again. Theres funny ways to work with things.

Jan 20, 12 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
queenbeez

Thank you James for all the information and insight. I did speak with a representative from the Italian Consulate. Though he did seem nice, he was very uninformative and suggested that I read their website which I already had. He then suggested sending an email which I also already did. Thanks again James

Jan 20, 12 5:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: