Archinect
anchor

good foam cutters (?) what brands and where to get them ?

thenewold

so, who makes really good hot wire foam cutters and where can you buy them ?

I'm looking for a really tricked-out one that has multiple adjustments and fences and so on. my current one is a proxxon which is pretty basic but I've seen nicer ones in various offices.

alternatively, if you're a foam model hater, please use this thread for funny comments about how crappy foam models are and why you think so.

Mar 9, 06 7:39 pm
strlt_typ

i can't remember where i saw it, i think one of the school blogs...she made her own foam cutter out of wood and some basic electrical components...lots of possiblities for customization

I like the denser type foams

Mar 9, 06 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

not answering your question...just throwing that in there

Mar 9, 06 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
blah

We had a German one at the place in California where I worked as an intern. Was it Bosch. It was about $800.

Mar 9, 06 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
thenewold

the net abounds with info about how to make your own ghetto-ass foam cutters (have you ever used one of these things (!) ) but I really am looking for info on a proper one made by germans or similarly stodgy people (full love to germans).

it's all about being able to adjust the wire arm (yet keep it stable) in ways that make kama sutra look amish as well as fences and guards that keep the work very steady.

Mar 9, 06 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
Peru
http://www.styrocut.de/e/styrocut/index.htm
Mar 10, 06 9:00 am  · 
 · 
thenewold

perfect

Mar 11, 06 1:02 am  · 
 · 
thenewold

PS. styrocut.de also sells thin sliced sheets of blue foam from 1mm up to 100mm or so. This is the stuff you can get at Harold's in Rotterdam I think....

Mar 11, 06 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

No one cares about your OMA blue foam penetrative models man. Don't you have work to be doing?

Mar 12, 06 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

bump - anyone know if the styrocut are available stateside?

i need to start a revolution.

Dec 7, 07 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
a-f

The nicest foam cutters are the ones manufactured in aforementioned Harold's in Rotterdam. I think they are "pimped" german cutters with larger surfaces and some additional tools. It seems like you can place international orders on their website, but I'm not 100% sure.

Dec 8, 07 8:00 am  · 
 · 
misterTT

Our office stateside has ordered multiple Models from StyroCut, and has always had to order online from Germany, so no, I don't think you can get them In the US (if so, you'll probably pay a huge markup for the initial shipping anyway)

Dec 8, 07 8:45 am  · 
 · 
SavedByTech

been thinking about the same. we use the styrocuts at my school - they're ok and supposedly much better than the proxxon. but i don't know if i'd be ready to fork out 600 euros for it (think a proxxon is like 160 euros).
the wire keeps breaking quite a bit when i use the styrocut, but that's probably more due to my lack of skill/impatience.

btw. i found it really interesting to contemplate how i work differently when using the cutter as opposed to more "handsculpting" type tools. i guess that only comes to surface if you're using it as a more explorative/creative tool rather than merely to execute a planned design.

ok, i really want the styrocut is what i'm saying...btw i saw a model called "3d something" which supposedly offers more freedom in terms of angles and curves etc. it was also a bit cheaper i think...Ah, it's from a company called CoolTool: http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/infopages/page168.html

Dec 12, 07 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i think that means your wire might be too tight and the voltage not turned up enough. but it's been a while.

Dec 12, 07 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
pluk

Used that Styrocut at school quite a bit, man am I missing this beautiful tool! get the foot switch its so worth the money. Oh and the smell of smoldering foam totaly addictive!

Dec 12, 07 11:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: