Archinect
anchor

Does a good undergraduate school matter that much?

SeriousLee

Greetings!

Does a good undergraduate school matter that much? In terms of the foundation taught that will increase your chances of landing in a prestigious graduate course?

I did not do that well academically (i'm from Singapore btw) to the extent that I am unable to enter any local universities offering architecture. I am also financially unable to send myself abroad to expensive schools like the AA, Cal Poly, Cooper Union etc. So I'm currently looking at Australian universities and New Zealand's Unitec in particular.

As much as my parents cannot afford to send me to an expensive school, I understand that they also want the best for me. 

Does the ability to be the best stem from the school you come from? Or does it all boil down  to the individual's hard work, talent, passion and luck?

I'm really excited about the future of architecture and I'm also interested in many aspects of architecture

- the possibility of creating new materials for construction
- the use of design to bring hope and revive economies
- the use of design to help humanity re-connect with the natural world (cosmic connection)
- buildings that think, evolve, and repair themselves through time and circumstances
- underground cities (land and sea!)
- the use of design to manipulate emotions and thought; it;s psychological impacts (e.g. reduce crime rates)
- the use of design to help individuals manage their lives better (understanding the art of living!), and in turn help humanity get back on the path of true progress as a species. 

Now you may say that i'm slightly delusional, yet such topics excite the hell out of me and I would really love to go to a school that brings me closer to such idealism :)

Do advise me on what I should be doing or aiming realistically for. Any help would be an indirect contribution to humanity haha!

Thanks!

Jan 18, 12 9:43 am

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: