Archinect
anchor

length of residential specs

davidneffarchitect

For all you single family residential architects out there: How many pages are your written specs?

I've recently re-written mine and they've gone from 15 to 35 pages. I've added a lot in division 01 (and division 00 which I never used before.) I'm really happy with the results.... but I'm worried it's going to scare more "mom and pop business" type contractors. How long is too long?

Jan 17, 12 7:26 pm
go do it

as a contractor i love more information. 35 pages is a lot but if i have a question the answer should be in the specs, right? just don't infect them with commercial grade material or systems that are over engineered for residential and drives up cost

also detail the hell out of those plans and the more  cuts the better

Jan 17, 12 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
davidneffarchitect

Thanks go do it.

It's good to hear a contractor's point of view. Do you prefer that specifications are right on the drawings or do you like a separate booklet? I've been thinking that if my framing specs are a list of notes on the framing plan, electrical on the electrical plan, etc that it will increase the chances that subs see the specs and have continued easy access to them.

Jan 18, 12 1:11 am  · 
 · 

Put the specs right on the drawings. No excuse for a constractor missing them, and they relate directly to details and conditions. Spec "books" are invitations to trouble.

Jan 18, 12 10:49 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

How are you guys developing your specs for residential work? Are you developing your specs from scratch, compiling and modifying from manufacturers and associations or using a program? Anyone use Spec Writer, Master spec, other program?

Jan 19, 12 10:36 am  · 
 · 
davidneffarchitect

Mine are a combo of: inherited from prior employer, from scratch, and a free online spec I found called Spex Plus. I've found the standard format of Spex Plus to be overly long for residential projects though so I edited down pretty heavily.

I also adapt or outright plagiarize items from specs by structural and MEP engineers I've collaborated with. Is that wrong?

Jan 19, 12 11:00 am  · 
 · 

The bigger the spec book, the higher the bids. Usually intended to limit liability and produce higher percentage-based fees.

See "paper the file". Also known as billing by the pound.

Jan 19, 12 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
davidneffarchitect

I've wondered about that...

One the one hand a thick spec book looks probably looks intimidating to a bidder and probably calls out items to price that may not have occurred to them otherwise.

On the other hand, if nothing is spec'd at all then bidders, need to pad their bids in order to protect themselves against the more expensive possible choices. Also a detailed spec probably means few change orders later.

I was hoping a good spec meant similar bids and lower ultimate project cost.

Maybe it's best to scale back some of the liability based items though since most of them are based on standard practice anyway.

Jan 19, 12 12:14 pm  · 
 · 

No specs = unbiddable in the real world. A clear reflection of the architect's (in)competence.

Unspeced items are not bid, so padding isn't necessary. Thus the ubiquitous change order ...

Jan 19, 12 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

miles has it right

unclear or incomplete specs = problems = change orders = bad vibes

i hate the look on everyone's face when i tell them it is not in the drawings or specs

and for some reason i feel somewhat responsible ,as the builder, being as i see it  the last link in the chain with the interest of the client in mind. maybe i should have caught the omission or lack of call out.

it just looks bad for the whole team

hey and if i save the achi's ass maybe  i will get more work! 

Jan 20, 12 12:10 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

"The bigger the spec book, the higher the bids. Usually intended to limit liability and produce higher percentage-based fees."

Not so sure about that one Jaffy. Are you saying there are architects out there who have issues with budgets that are too high? hmmm

Limiting liability isn't the point either. Clarifying liability is more like it. You can have the judge decide why the roof leaked, or you can be specific about single source responsibility and overall quality of workmanship, materials, etc... If you do that, you might even prevent the roof from leaking in the first place. There are a gazillion industry standards out there. It makes sense to utilize at least some of them. 

When I used to work for a Spec sweatshop, every once in a while we would have a new residential client (architect) that would seek out our services. Some of them had spent decades in the profession without writing a single spec, and then one day they got burned. Really badly. 

Simple litmus test: Q. "Do I need specs for my project?" (residential or otherwise). A. Can a single designer understand the full scope of the project from SD through to CA? If yes, then you can make do without specs. If no, you better cover your ass. 

Jan 20, 12 12:47 am  · 
 · 

More specs = more stuff to bid = higher bids. Higher bids = higher percentage-based fees. Not really that difficult to understand, rustie.

Jan 20, 12 11:41 am  · 
 · 
davidneffarchitect

I still think there are situations where fewer specs = higher bids. If the project is a ground-up 5000sf residence in an upscale community and the specs are lacking, the contractor is going to make certain assumptions based on his experience in that market. If it's a fixed price contract, the contractor has to assume a certain level of finish otherwise he stand to either lose money on the job or will have to kill the client with change orders. If, on the other hand, the specs on this project are well-detailed and show a slightly lower level of finish than the contractor would otherwise assume for that neighborhood then his bid will probably be lower even though the specs are more detailed.

Jan 20, 12 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

"the contractor is going to make certain assumptions"

i don't think so,  what if the wrong assumption is made and you loose the house because the bid is to high

that is no way to run a construction company or an architectural firm

an architect designed home should be pretty darn clear to all involved

that is why i like building for architects

Jan 20, 12 8:49 pm  · 
 · 

well, houses most of us live don't need more than 4-5 pages of information. from my long experience in residential design, a lot of it is milking the client once they want to spend their money (never had rich client myself though.) it is almost always the litigious client want to have all the guarantees and some even hiring a lawyer to communicate with the architect whose designing their 20,000 sq. ft. mansion with at least 40-50 f-150's parked in front of the construction site. if any architecture office is making money on single family residential design it is because of projects of this nature. at that point, sure, you have dozen people in the office working and billing, 200 page of drawings, meeting after meeting, so at the end of the construction, millions of dollars spent and the house is showcased regardless of its style. all for upper 1% homes. of course this excludes homes with serial production and prefab specs. this story is completely on your face aaron spelling types of homes.

"this is not the same texture and color my wife "the real designer behind the scenes" picked!"

get it?

Jan 20, 12 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

man you trippin

Jan 20, 12 11:04 pm  · 
 · 

^^ ​let me know when you have arrived in the big leagues son..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2089378/Tom-Brady-Gisele-Bundchens-20million-dream-home-finally-finished.html

Jan 27, 12 12:25 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: