Archinect
anchor

Tattoos in China

kidkutti2

I got a job offer in China and was wondering how the stigma on tattoos are over there. I have full sleeves, and don't want to reveal them if its looked down upon. Thanks

Jan 15, 12 4:50 pm
jason_sf

I would keep them covered if I were you, at least initially. Feel out the office before rolling up your sleeves. I am sure they will find out eventually though. Many design offices are actually quite casual and the weather can be brutally hot in the summer time--it would be quite odd to always be wearing long sleeves. I think you're co-workers might find it cool while the boss would cringe a bit but be probably be fine with it. Doubt they'd send you packing just over your tats.

Keep them covered during meetings though. I also recommend you keep a spare button-down shirt at the office in case you have an unexpected meeting or VIP visiting the office.

Jan 15, 12 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Does it have "I am big in china" written on it?

Jan 16, 12 4:43 pm  · 
 · 

As long as it doesn't look like this you're probably OK.

Jan 16, 12 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
kidkutti2

yea it actually does say "I am big in China", howd u know?

Jan 16, 12 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
kidkutti2

thanks for the info jason_sf

Jan 16, 12 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

kid, I knew it because it does not take that much to put that particular tattoo on (dang!)

On topic though, I'd suggest not to let your sleeves down until you are "accepted" by the people at the new firm. Since you are not from China, there is probably a bit more leeway, but I'd still be careful.

Jan 16, 12 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
kidkutti2

Thats what I was planning, Ive been working at my current firm for two years and have not had any trouble wearing long sleeve button downs year round. 

Jan 17, 12 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
jason_sf

Your welcome kid. You'll notice that China is rapidly Westernizing, especially among the younger generations. I don't even think it's very uncommon for some to have tattoos, though there is somewhat of a 'thug' kind of stigma attached to it and they are usually in covered places. Full sleeves are still definitely outside the realm of being socially acceptable in Chinese culture, and you will get some curious stares and questions about them, but I doubt anyone will be shocked or offended by them (assuming they are not offensive in the first place).

I am also assuming that you are not Chinese, so this is somewhat in your favor in that they won't hold you to the same societal expectations as they would their own people. Call it being more socially forgiving toward other cultures or call it racism; either way, anything that might be shocking or disrespectful in the eyes of a Chinese person will often be chalked up to you being just another crazy Westerner (there are more offensive terms as well). 

You'll find that some people are very nice and overly eager to befriend you, while others will seem to already dislike you before they get to know you. Again, this has to due with the mutual curiosity and distrust of outsiders. As long as you show people respect and maintain a good sense of humor, I think it can be a really positive experience and you'll make some great friends along the way. Good luck to you!

Jan 20, 12 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
kidkutti2

haha im atually chinese. i plan on keeping everything proffesional n wearing long sleeves

Jan 20, 12 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
kidkutti2

but i appreciate the advice

Jan 20, 12 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
jason_sf

Haha, oops. Sorry for being presumptuous. You probably know more than me then.  I'm actually half Chinese myself, but born and grew up in the US--I realized pretty quickly that being Chinese American and native Chinese are about as similar as night and day.

Jan 21, 12 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
kidkutti2

no worries, yea im chinese american, grew up in seattle. 

Jan 21, 12 7:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: