brian buchalski

for some reason this seems familiar

Mar 2, 06 1:04 pm
brian buchalski

by the way, i'm perfectly content with my eight and one half inch thesis

Mar 2, 06 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
ether

it's actually more like 39'-8 1/4". but yes familiar it might seem.

Mar 2, 06 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

seems to me that this tanker would have to be driven pretty
slowly...all that shifting water..and not in an enclosed tanker,
but open on the top...and the shape seems to aid in creating
massive amounts of force towards the driver when braking
...think 'tidal wave' or 'tsunami'...or am i wrong?

Mar 2, 06 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Very good points, lars. Thought the article says the artist worked on hydrology/dam projects for many years so maybe he knows how to deal with it.

39'-8-1/4" long....though it was probably 39'-9" before the end 3/4" ended up as grinder dust on ether's face ;-)

Mar 2, 06 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

mine was bigger

Mar 2, 06 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
grid

mine sunk twice

Mar 3, 06 4:51 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

my eight and one half inch thesis has shrunk to almost nothing

Oct 24, 07 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
binary

another reason to go to cranbrook... so you can get published

Oct 24, 07 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

Does he really need to drive a tank of water 5,000 around the country in order to prove a thesis? What a waste of resources! and he even talks about how it MIGHT not me feasible to run a water line from the great lakes to the south west...and he wants to drive water across the united states? WTF????

Oct 24, 07 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Haha, cryzko, I'm completely unpublished....even in the Cranbook "Architecture Studio" book that was put together while I was a student!

My work just isn't very intereseting - and there are no guarantees!

Oct 24, 07 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
ether

In theory that was what he had hoped to accomplish. It never happened. It now sits in the parking lot and rusts.

Oct 24, 07 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

i wonder how many architecture thesis projects now sit rusting in a parking lot. my guess is no small number.

Oct 24, 07 6:22 pm  · 
 · 

my thesis burned very nicely.

pictures of it burning made a nice 'appendix' for the book i had to turn in.

Oct 24, 07 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

taking water out of the gl basin is technically illegal. this guy points to unseen water leaving in "trucks and railcars" but save for one bottling plant and probably some industrial processes, it really doesn't happen all that much, and i disagree with this guy that it will be piped to las vegas "sooner or later." the only unnatural place water leaves en masse is the chicago river.

Oct 24, 07 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
binary

should turn it into a big moonwalk and have kids jumping around while driving it through the :hood: not that would be dope........

Oct 24, 07 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
binary

and i'm trying to get into crnbrizzle.......... just need to work out the funds...might have to throw a rave and sell some ex-lax pills

Oct 24, 07 7:08 pm  · 
 · 

mr sutherland might want to check the roads on which he'll travel to make sure they're rated for that much weight. EVERY road.

ever see a tractor/trailer with a single steel beam on the back? didja wonder why?

Oct 24, 07 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
oldenvirginia

I may be wrong, but the recent bldgblog article here seems pertinent:

http://bldgblog.blogspot.com/2007/10/nawapa.html

Oct 24, 07 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

well i assume he's figuring these technical issues out, but you're right about the weight. if you think about it, most tanker trucks appear to have a relatively low center of gravity, compared to what he's doing. all that water sloshing around in the narrow bathtub is bound to tip it over. could be a nice project though, if it works like he says it will.

Oct 24, 07 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
binary

put some people int he tank and a few rafts.....

b

Oct 24, 07 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
ether

i can't remember the exact figure i first came up with for the weight of the water (with it completely full) but i do remember thinking the structural integrity of the trailer would probably fail before any road.. that trailer was only designed to carry a specific maximum weight... and it wasn't in the best of shape when it first arrived on our front door.

just working a few figures.. the trailer is approximately 40' long x 8' wide. I think the acrylic is around 8' tall. that's 5120 square feet. multiply that by 62 (weight of a cubic foot of water) and it comes to 158720 lbs of water. while the level doesn't take up that entire volume, it does take up more than half, so just for arguments sake, cutting that number in half is still a whopping 80,000 lbs of water. 80,000 is the maximum capacity allowed on the road for most states.. and that trailer isn't even built to carry those kinds of loads. (think of something that looks like this) if i remember correctly a typical trailer axel is only meant to hold about 19000 lbs.

Oct 25, 07 9:43 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Even so, ether, trailers typically have more than one axle. Does this one not?

Oct 25, 07 12:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: