Archinect
anchor

Sense of taste in architecture

chetan

I am working on a study on Senses in design.
Would like to understand and explore the idea of the "Sense of taste" in Architecture.
Any thoughts............

Mar 1, 06 5:45 am
Medit

I haven't read it but you could ask some more opinions about this book again -or refloat that thread-..

Mar 1, 06 5:53 am  · 
 · 
6nuew

Pete Zumthor's Spa at Vals.. the experience of water (including taste) is an integral part of the architecture.

Mar 1, 06 7:00 am  · 
 · 
trace™

gorgeous building, too

Mar 1, 06 8:51 am  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

Seeing as its winter, bring a thermos of warm water in case your tongue freezes to the metal parts.

That’s my advice.

Mar 1, 06 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I ALWAYS WANTED TO MAKE A BUILDING OUT OF BLOCKS OF CHEESE

Mar 1, 06 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

by "taste" i thought you meant personal preference or liking...but presumably, based on the responses, you're actually talking about using the tongue to experience architecture...

"the experience of water (including taste) is an integral part of the architecture."

ManuG, the idea of tasting the water in the baths (although sometimes unavoidable) is fuckin' nasty!...all that oliy scum (and according to a friend, possibly sperm in the water) floating on the top from people's bodies...

Mar 1, 06 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
some person

This reminds me of a thesis project of a former classmate.

Mar 1, 06 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
spiderdad

how about smell?

h&m did a perfume that smelt like crap.

Mar 1, 06 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
fireplacemesh

how to enter the architectual residental designer forum.
we can provide the mesh drapery ,or fireplace mesh for the architectual residental designer.
our website:
http://www.masewa-wiremesh.com
MSN:[email protected]
email add:[email protected]

Mar 1, 06 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Often smell and taste and considered the Chemical Senses.

There might be an associative memory function of taste and architecture/place. Smell is the sense most likely to induce reminiscence.

Click and scroll down to the numerous definitions of sense (some of which cover those relevant to space)

Mar 2, 06 7:57 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore
Mar 2, 06 8:10 am  · 
 · 

in 2nd year studio one of me classmates built his model out of cake and frosted it, for a week long mini-project.

design was bad, but good (yummy).

Mar 2, 06 8:28 am  · 
 · 
lekizz

If you are building out of food, I would recommend bananas - nice and sticky and look great :-p

NOT herrings. A colleague used a fresh herring as the basis of a second year project. It didn'tr stay fresh for long and stunk the studio out for months!

Seriously though, I read an article by Sarah Wrigglesworth entitled "Cuisine and Architecture: A recipe for a Wholesome Diet". She says she designed and built her "Straw Bale House" as a chef would creat a meal, out of basic wholesome ingredients. Straw was a direct reference to food crops and she also grows mustard and wild strawberries on the roof.

Mar 2, 06 11:12 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

Seriously though, don't forget Health and Safety - that cholesterol can be a killer

Mar 2, 06 11:23 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore
Mar 2, 06 11:38 am  · 
 · 
southpole

A sense of taste in architecture?

Sense: a faculty by which a person obtains information about the physical world, ability to appreciate something.

Taste: a tendency to like or enjoy a particular thing or type of thing.

I am concluding that what you’re looking for are thoughts regarding what architects considered “tasteful” architecture in the realm of built projects. if this is the case i would say-

First: any built environment must consider its setting, and used it to enhance its function.

Second: it must have a clearly and honest response to the user, it should transcend and enrich the activities of those who occupied the spaces.

Third there must be a unique balance between the art of building and the art of creation.

Tasteful architecture is about the arrangement of small sometimes imperceptible moves and arrangements that are only understood unconsciously by all our senses.

Mar 2, 06 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I am with PsyArch. You may want to explore blending the senses of taste and smell as they are dependent on eachother, or essentially one sense.

If you put sugar in your mouth and smell an orange, you "taste" the orange.

southpole, I am lost in your deep play on words.

Mar 2, 06 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

I once heard on NPR that a good deal of famous pastry chefs were arch school grads. Apparently it's alot like building models.

Mar 2, 06 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Surprised that noone has mentioned restaurant architecture. Surely the place where (restaurant) critics will often point out how the space impacted on their enjoyment of the food.

Sketch, Gordon Ramsay ('s many venues), Hakkasan, the Savoy Grill (all London), any Starck/Schrager (I think now owned as "Morgans") hotel restaurant (e.g Asia de Cuba, Spoon etc.), in all of these, taste and architecture are explicitly linked - comparisons of menu and architectural style would be interesting.

The only piece I have found on the web when looking for similar things was someone's (probably thesis) report on environmental perception with regards to the design of some crappy fish restaurant in (I think) Florida. "Purple is a good colour" and "people like sitting in booths" type of unqualified bolox.

Mar 2, 06 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
lekizz

my reference above to Sarah Wigglesworth was from "Food & Architecture" Karen A. Frank Ed.

It is effectively an issue of the periodical "Architectural Design", vol.72, No.6, Nov/Dec 2002.

The publication deals primarily with restaurant architecture. Wigglesworth is the exception.

Mar 2, 06 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
rutger

more about restaurants...
de kas in Amsterdam is a restaurant inside a greenhouse>, you eat where the food grows...

Mar 2, 06 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
mari-lynnkieviet

A late anwser, but i recommend to read The eyes of the Skin, by Juhani Pallasmaa. I love how he describes our senses and multisensory architecture. For example: "There is a subtle transference between tactile and taste experiences. Vision becomes transferred to taste as well; certain colours and delicate details evoke oral sensations. A delicately coloured polished stone surface is subliminally sensed by the tongue. Our sensory experience of the world originates in the interior sensation of the mouth, and the world tends to return to its oral origins. The most archaic origin of architectural space is in the cavity of the mouth."

Pallasmaa, J. (2005). The eyes of the skin: Architecture and the senses. London, UK: Wiley-Academy.

May 11, 20 5:06 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: