Archinect
anchor

What happens at work when you get licensed?

nothing_is_everything

Calling all tales of success and sob stories.....the more recent/economy destitute, the better.

Where do our employers stand when in comes to supporting licensure?  Are they recognizing our efforts?  If they are, how do their rewards compare to those of their peers?

Jan 13, 12 12:43 am
fulcrum

"Are you done with ARE? Get back to work, then!"

Jan 13, 12 7:17 am  · 
 · 

we absolutely support licensure, but as much for the staff member's personal accomplishment than for any benefit to the firm.

registration is of *some* use to a firm, but not as much as you might think. we encourage registration on the part of our staff because we could market from a position of more "architects" (vs interns, project managers, job captains, etc) on staff. some clients want a registered architect at every meeting, so more registrations makes us more flexible. our local business weekly ranks firm size by number of registered architects. 

from a day-to-day functioning standpoint, however, there is very little real value to personnel having obtained registration. it's a personal landmark.

we pay registration fees and aia dues every year, and we recognize it somewhat with pay adjustments. 

Jan 13, 12 7:59 am  · 
 · 
citizen

New business cards with ", Architect" following my name.

That was the biggest and best perk possible for me.  No more "well, I work for an architecture firm, but I'm not an architect yet..."  No.  I was now an architect. 

Oh, and a small parade around the block with wagons and shopping carts  ;-)

Jan 13, 12 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
nothing_is_everything

Anyone get a raise?  Can we expect one greater than the cost of the exams themselves?

Jan 13, 12 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
CrazyHouseCat

All the test and license fees were paid for by the firm

What I got once I received my license number:

• Letter of congratulation from the CEO
  • Announcement and cheers at all staff meeting
  • A fancy ink pen
  • A resin plaque for my desk
  • Big framed certificate with gold state architect board seal
  • Documents that explain my new liability and responsibility
  • 3% increase in bonus potential
  • $5000 bonus

Jan 13, 12 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
w. architect

When I became an Architect!

I got a very nice license to hang on the wall.

I had a dream of Sir Christopher Wren.

I am waiting for a house.

I am waiting for a beautiful wife.

I am waiting for a beautiful car.

Is this all I got?

Jan 13, 12 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
nothing_is_everything

Anyone recently licensed in SF?

Jan 17, 12 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

CrazyHouseCat, that is amazing! First of congrats to you and also working at what sounds to be a respectable firm. Good for you! 

Jan 17, 12 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
pale shelter

you get congratulated from your peers, feel relieved to be finished, feel it is anti-climatic, wonder why you didn't do it a year earlier,  get asked by your folks what kind of raise you received. don't get a raise. wonder and question what was it for. you realize it's a self-identity promotion, personal vendetta, accomplishment. Is this exhibited in any other career? 

Jan 17, 12 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
randy1

my sister said : "so what!!" after i gleefully informed her that i had passed the exam and was now a licensed design professional.

Jan 18, 12 7:14 am  · 
 · 
mfrech

i got a $1/hr raise and a congratulatory email, no fee support during ARE.

Jan 18, 12 8:32 am  · 
 · 
cajunarch

Our standard package (which also includes reimbursement of ARE costs):

Medium-size pay raise (5%-8% range)

Reimbursement of your state license fees

Cheers at next staff meeting

Normal PR stuff (mention on "NEWS" section of website, new business cards, etc)

Jan 18, 12 1:44 pm  · 
 · 

My firm assigned me a valet and two footmen, yo!

Jan 18, 12 3:35 pm  · 
 · 

Don't know yet, no one here seems to be able to pass very many of the exams..

Jan 18, 12 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
w. architect

nothing happened much....

Jan 19, 12 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

hmm...let's see...you notify the partners you've been working closely with at your firm.  no one answers, even to say 'congratulations'.  you get the message, quit your job and take on private clients.  your clients are awesome, and they pay the bills you send them early every time.  you think 'wow, this is what it's all about!  so glad i got that license!'  then some of your awesome clients get rejected for the loan they were certain they would get.  then the others do as well.  then you can't afford your health insurance, so you look for another job.  you get a job that values your licensure and pays you way more than the crap job that you left.  so in the end, it ends up being the best thing you did in the 5 years you worked at that place...a way better investment than all the time and effort you put into the work you were doing for someone else, which they benefited from but you had to leave at the door when you quit. 

Jan 19, 12 10:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: