Archinect
anchor

Architect moving to london

ahmad chouman

I am an architect planning to move to london with my wife. I have received an offer from a big firm, yet I haven't accepted it yet!

Can anyone tell me how much I need to pay the rent, move around town, live properly, pay taxes and save aound $1000 a month?

Feb 25, 06 5:03 am
lekizz

We still use £££'s in the UK ;-)

You will need a lot. A small one bedroom flat will be £700-800 per month. Council Tax (for your local services) is around £800 per year. I guess you utility bills will be around £100 per month. A bus travel card is £3.50 per day. Food and entertainment is up to you. Absolute rock bottom I would say about £250 per month for two people.

And then national taxes on your income is around 25% in total.

Feb 25, 06 8:40 am  · 
 · 
ahmad chouman

Thanks for the info lekizz... you were a great help

Feb 25, 06 10:05 am  · 
 · 
ahmad chouman

Any other feedback?

Feb 25, 06 10:05 am  · 
 · 
doberman

will your wife be working?? because that would make a massive difference. otherwise lekizz's got the lowdown pretty much right i think, although i would say the council tax is probably more around £1000 a year for a one-bedder. dont buy daily bus travel card, buy a weekly one for £13.50, it's easier and it works out cheaper.

Feb 25, 06 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
ahmad chouman

what is the best area to live in Lon don in be in close to everything, at the same time not pay so much! East, West, North or South. What is the average time consumed in commute.

Feb 26, 06 9:44 am  · 
 · 
Ludwig

ahmad the questions that your are asking are answered in countless threads in the forum. Just do a search for 'moving to London' etc.. and you will find plenty of information. Hope this helps.

Feb 26, 06 9:58 am  · 
 · 
vado retro
http://www.black-katz.com/city.htm

i'd imagine an apartment for two in one of the most expensive cities in the world is gonna set u back at least two thousand bucks a month and thats for a dump or for something in the burbs where im sure you dont want to live. rent 2g, saving 1g, food(i spend at least a cnote a week for myself) so figure at least 500 amonth if u like macaroni and cheese. other bills at least 200 bucks. lunch, non fat chai lattes, transportation for two...at least two hundred a month. lezz see so far thats...i got u at a bit shy of 3900 dollars(american) which is approximately 80 thousand bucks.approximately

Feb 26, 06 10:32 am  · 
 · 
Ludwig

I dont reccomend dealing with black-katz already the name hints to their way fo dealing.

Feb 26, 06 11:09 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i have no idea iwas just googling. my great grandfather was named ludwig

Feb 26, 06 11:33 am  · 
 · 

take care that rent is often listed per WEEK, not month.

my grandfather's name was joe.

Feb 26, 06 10:17 pm  · 
1  · 
Luis Fraguada

get an oyster card for a trule london experience :P, or better yet, get a bicycle

Feb 27, 06 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
spickney2000

Zone 3 is a good area to live in, close enough to central London and far enough away that it's cheaper to rent and travel is not that expensive.  Zone 4 and 5 it may be cheaper to rent in some places but then the travel increases more.  Try and find a place that is near good transport hubs......East London it good Leyton, Hackney, Walthamstow etc.  Buses are good around that area if you want to spend less on travel but it does take much longer....

Apr 28, 21 11:15 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: