Archinect
anchor

Exhibitionists

PsyArch

I am addicted to Art. Tonight is the opening of the Americans in Paris at the National. The pictures will be, like, old, but the atmosphere will be charged.

What is the best exhibition you have been to?

Why did it excite you like that?

Feb 21, 06 8:11 am
sporadic supernova

The best exhibision that i've been to was to the one that hosted my photographs!!... 40 Black and white prints ...
managed to sell 37 of them too the other three i gifted it to some people whose names I use as references ;)

why did it excite me ?? .. think about it .. :)
I had 37 orgasmic reactions that day !!

Feb 21, 06 8:15 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

damn typo !! exhibition !!

Feb 21, 06 8:30 am  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Nova,
What a great feeling.
I am asking out of envy, did you make money on the exhibition?
Accounting for the time spent taking and developing the shots, printing and framing, organising...

Feb 21, 06 9:01 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Congrats nova, that must have been an amazing experience.

My most memorable exhibit must be Agnes Martin at the Milwaukie Art Museum in 1993.

The Sea

All canvases, roughly 5'x5', all painted with grid variations. I saw this exhibit in the midst of a semester at grad school, made a road trip to go see it. It taught me that there are deeper and slower notions in the world than how am I going to finish my next project for the critique?!?!? It slowed me down.

It also taught me to find peace in thoughtfyl study of objects. I still find enormous calm in her work. Maybe it's an architect thing to love the grid so much that it can be transcendant, though it's not just the visual image of the grid but the studied, hand-crafted way in which she paints them that affects me. Evidence of time spent, of a search for order, crossed with the discrepancies of the hand. Beauitiful and I should stop talking about them.

Feb 21, 06 10:43 am  · 
 · 
ReflexiveSpace

So this post isn't about a naked subway guy?

Feb 21, 06 10:50 am  · 
 · 
Medusa

The Leonardo DaVinci exhibit that the Met did a while ago was amazing.

And the Big Bang exhibit at the Pompidou Center was a lot of fun. They took the entire collection and organized the works in themed arrangements, so that you had pantings alongside architectural models, etc.

Feb 21, 06 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

the giacometti exhibit at the moma - just because it was
one of my favorite artists and i'd never seen all that work
together before..

also looking forward to going to the munch exhibit at the
moma for the same reason...although i've seen alot of
his work at the munch museet in oslo.

the rodin museum in paris...not quite the same thing as
an exhibition..but the setting and volume of work is great.

Feb 21, 06 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

For me, Donald Judd. His sculptures when installed in the Tate Modern gave such musical parallax that walking past them was visual symphony. My stomach turned the way it does when love strikes.

I also got a huge thrill from El Greco at the National Gallery. That this man was, in the 16th Century, hinting at styles of painting that would neither find their feet, nor be equalled for 500 years was incredible. What was stirred in me was not the abstract giddiness of Donald Judd, but similarly visceral for the human emotion portrayed.

Feb 21, 06 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

c'mon gang lezz go see that americans in paris show at the museo!!!

Feb 21, 06 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

Thanks guys,
yep it was a great feeling.

psy arc,

I had taken part in a national Photography competition, an I won it. The award was some (negligible) cash prize and the cost and expences incurred to set up an exhibition in one of the prime galleries in the city for three days. So basically all that i had to spend was for the initial 5 prints which i entered for the competition.
but yes... I did make a lot of money. Its a sad thing that I havent touched my camera for more than 1 year now... too much work !! and now everyones gone digital.. I guess I have to but one of em' digital cameras.. just to keep up !!

Feb 22, 06 4:50 am  · 
 · 
farmer

John Singer Sargent show I saw at the Tate 6 Nov.1998 was great: except there were too many people milling about. diary tells me I got in for £6.

amazing show at the Royal Academy of one Charlotte Salomon. diary says I found it "strange but moving". 10 Nov. 1998. got in for £5.50.

Feb 22, 06 4:53 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

back to the topic,

One of my favorite exhibitions that i've been to was the Victor Vaserely works in New Delhi !! I've always been a big fan of vasserely so it was great .. they brought over all his major works including my favorite series of the "zebras" and "vega"

It was in the year that he died (1997??)

Feb 22, 06 4:55 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

one from of vaserely's vega series

and one of his zebra series

Feb 22, 06 4:58 am  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Farmer,

that same Singer Sargent is in the Americans in Paris show at the National which opens to the public today (£9). Quite a lot of his other work too (see the link at the top of the thread).

Another show that moved me to a rather shameless foxtrot through the aisles was Paul Klee at the Hayward. An enormous retrospective which blew away the twee posterized visions that so dominate the general perception of his work.

Francis Bacon, whose work I had never been close enough to to grasp, was recently at the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art (SNaGMA?). His Portraits and Heads so deeply layered with powerful negative emotion (the analyst in me says with his pain, not that of his subjects) that one could delve into, experience massive negativity, and walk away elated because the feeling of woe was both ephemeral and vicarious.

Feb 22, 06 7:13 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: