Archinect
anchor

Master's Advice: An appeal to help a brotha out

Jackal

G'day fellow posters , i decided to write this because i feel strange about the way architecture is going in my case, or more precisely, in my education and in my eyes.

I'm not even an architecture student (got kicked from college for misconduct [late absences due to sickness and breaking a dude's leg]) but i draw since i was a baby and some of my family members are builders, i love almost everything about this career but...

I feel strange because the architecture quality in my region has reduced a lot, the education quality (or lack of it) is poor, good professors go away or work as taxi cabs, the students aren't inspired or it isn't their thing, one of my friends who is from a family of doctors studies arch. because "his dad told him so", and the other one is a gifted musician but studies because "there's no work as a musician, mang, and it pays a lot", this also reveals the lack of knowledge and the old romantic view towards the profession, and i saw everyone wants to be A) a starchitect, doing fancy and random pokemon buildings all over the place or B) a shoe box designer, doing white boxy houses with nothing special at all because "It's cool, yo, its the international minimalism modernism thing that brings money"
Somehow, none of them looks at the client or at his problems, they (students) want to design THEIR buildings to fulfill THEIR pleasure, i think the client and his problems, along with any possible structural thingy, are the main objectives, design is very very important but should be looked at later stages after you know where to put everyone on their place, of course, thats just my opinion...

I know there isn't plenty of work for an architect, much less in my region that is infested with civil engineers, the general population and builders see them as "architects without the high costs", these guys are raping everything apart (sorry for my expression) and have no consideration in human scales, also they copy or implement works from other places, and you know, it's not the same to build a bank that is designed from a place that is cold 10 months of the year and build it in the middle of the desert, and of course, the economy

I have no fear for this, but i shat myself thinking if i will be fully qualified to compete with these fellas, the education is so poor, professors think the same way as the students here (from 8 am to 2 pm, we are doing theory oh-la-la, after 2, we start the meaningful things! drinking eating and pissing around enjoying life!), there's no self-improvement, just conformity and mediocrity

--------------------------------------------------------------

This is where we start, i wanted to ask you, ***What do i need to know and practice to be a VERY good architect***, the skills, the knowledge, the tricks, the tools, the mentality, etc
AND what can you tell about styles and originality, seeing how many buildings are around the world, things from FLW, Gaudi, Van der Rohe, LeCorb, Pei, Ghery, Neimeyer, Ando, and all those guys, i feel like a grain of sand trying to figure something new and fresh
I have time and desire to fullfil my objective but i can hardly do it without professional opinions and/or advices, in this case, from you

Sorry if my words were too much and caused you a headache or my post became a visual distraction in the front page, i just want help from someone who knows a thing or 2, seeing how almost all of the ones that know in my place are dead or they are extremely arrogant towards students or pseudo-students in my case.

Jan 6, 12 5:33 am
NubianArchitects

"What do i need to know and practice to be a VERY good architect?" We would say bear in mind that architecture is a SERVICE industry, as in you have to be aware of your clients needs and be able to fuse them with your own talents.

That being said, you need to be able to listen, be professional, and educate your client as you guide them through the process. 

We do not want to self-promote but we do want to help. Visit our architectural directory where you can contact architects via email and social networks. (Updated Daily)

Which sector of architecture are you interested in? Full Service? Design Only? Public? Private?

Jan 8, 12 9:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: