Archinect
anchor

Accepted into LAIAD - Grad Prep

lessisdefmore

I got accepted into the Grad Prep program at LAIAD. Does anyone know how successfully students transfer to a MArch after this program? Seems like a really good program, but I would like to hear some first hand experience info. Thank you.
Any info? Reccomendations? Tips?

Apr 18, 11 5:30 pm
star910

I attended LAIAD for the undergrad program and it was a great experience. Me along with  a couple of other  Grad students transfered to SCI-Arc. LAIAD is a small school, but that gives you more one to one interaction with your instructor, which really good. I continue to stay in touch with everyone there. Tips? Start gathering software such as Autocad to do 2D work, illistrator and  photoshop will help to build your portfolio. You don't necessarily have to buy them, there are  trial and educational versions you can use. Good Luck!

Apr 19, 11 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
if_arch

http://www.metropolismag.com/story/20110315/prep-school

tho do your research, it could be that one of the summer intro programs at one of the unis good be of interest to you--especially one at a school you are particularly interested in attending for m.arch.

Apr 19, 11 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
if_arch

*could be of...

Apr 19, 11 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
Vizious

I just completed the grad prep program at LAIAD last year and am now in my way to Columbia's GSAPP.  My background had no architectural experience other than a modern architecture history survey I took in college. I have a BA in art and art history from Occidental college.  

I would highly recommend the program, the founder and co founder claim that they have a 100% record of getting their students into M.Arch 1 programs, so far it seems to be true.  It seems like most people who take their program go on to SCIArc (I got in there with$15K scholarship too!), but often those who take the time to polish their portfolio, which they will help you with as well, get accepted into some very prestigious universities. 

The projects are rigorous but I managed to complete all of them on time and still hold a part time job, wouldn't recommend it though. Every class has a unique feel and is composed of such a variety of individuals.  My class had only one female, we were all very friendly and had a strong sense of comradery, but the next incoming class was mostly females and were much more quiet and seemed more competitive amongst each other.  My point is every individual's experience can be different.  You will cut a lot of basswood and make a lot of models. This program has the potential to prepare you to apply to the most competitive M.Arch 1 program but you must put in the work and develop some rigorous and intelligent models, they will help you develop design skills and you might get the chance to make a killer ortho drawing for your portfolio. 

TIPS:  Find the cheapest provider of basswood and buy in bulk, Blicks has some good deals sometimes and they always have 10% off for students.  Always buy more than you need, you can return unused sticks later.

You will need a drawing board, email me when you do, they are expensive and I have a deluxe model in great condition with brand new vyco cover, will sell it cheaper than the new one you'll have to buy.

The initial design projects will ask you to design using a system from "something" that contains quantifiable data by default (ex measuring the tones of a guitar and using that information to create something solid) when choosing that "something" keep in mind that you might include the project in your portfolio and so choose "something" mature like the measuring the CMYK color levels of pixels and not the amount of bites it takes to finish an apple (some on actually used that as foundation for their project).  This piece of advise will make sense once you get started on your projects.

Sorry for the long winded post but I truly believe and support this program.

I haven't asked my classmates where they will be attending but I will post this asap.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Apr 19, 11 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
rong1285

I attended LAIAD a couple years back and understandably had my concerns about the validity of the program.  I decided to take the chance after speaking with the director and am eternally grateful that I did.  I am currently finishing my first year of my M.Arch program at MIT.  Although I do not believe any program can truly prepare you for your first year of architecture school (you will understand when you are here), LAIAD will probably be the closest you are going to get.  Of my 28 classmates I am one of two students that did not major in architecture in my undergrad and had zero work experience in the field.  Despite the odds I have been able to hold my own, something that I attribute to the work/experience I gained from LAIAD.  I am more than willing to continue defending the program anytime because I truly believe in it.     

I was accepted to: Columbia, UC Berkeley, SciArc and Columnia, all with scholarships.

Apr 19, 11 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
xxima

....I only applied to LA schools got accepted to UCLA, Sci Arc and USC....so I decided to attend the M.Arch +2 year program at USC since I was awarded 13k in scholarships...

..after a year in the grad prep program I knew I didn't needed to submit anything but LAIAD material in my portfolio...it was very strong in architectural language, graphics and lots of basswood models...rich in content, pictures quality and design development diagrams...

...at the end of the program I was not only able to complete the "task" of the portfolio ..but I have found myself actually apt to complete any master degree program...

TIPS...think about an idea...sketch it...and just build it..! you will end up with more material than if you just drag your idea around ...

Apr 19, 11 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
tauhaus

laiad is exetremely helpful! The ideas and topics covered at laiad are a perfect primer to begining an architecture grad program. after attending laiad, i applied to and was accepted to sci-arc. i'm finishing up my 2nd year of the m.arch1 program. good luck!

Apr 20, 11 2:20 am  · 
 · 
rcw2012

I am an undergrad student at LAIAD and I have nothing but great things to say about the program.  The best thing about LAIAD is that it teaches you how to think.  All of the projects are very conceptual and they really force you to think outside of the box and push yourself.  The instructors are all really great and the nice thing about the program is because it is so small you get a lot of one on one help from the instructors, and your classmates and instructors become your family.  Everyone is really close and knows each other on a more personal level than most schools you will go to.  The program is great for prepping you to be prepared to enter an architecture school and most importantly to know how to think conceptually in order to be successful.  Also the program is all about yourself and how hard you work, how much you put into it.  If you give it your all and do well then you will have no problem transferring into a school and probably with scholarships.  All of the students I have talked to have gotten into several schools and with scholarship money as well.  So basically it is all up to you and if you have the dedication to do it, because architecture is definitely a tough program and takes a lot of time and dedication.  Bill Taylor always tells everyone on the first day that after two or three weeks, you will know if architecture is right for you.  It doesn't take long at all to figure that out!  All and all it is a great program and was the best choice for me and I think its the perfect place to start!

Apr 20, 11 11:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: