Archinect
anchor

Make more $$ as a waiter than an architect, seems legit....

SPYDER01

So gave up on trying to land a position with a firm a while ago, been in the process of starting my own thing, cash flow takes a while so I took a job waiting tables.   It's a pretty upscale place, not snobby, just trendy i guess, but amazing food from an incredible renowned chef, anyhow, i've been there a month now and find it ironic that I make in one month what most architects monthly salaries bring home.. what gives? I'm sure after being an architect for 10+ years you make good $$, enough to support a family at least, but at what cost..

Jan 5, 12 7:22 pm
drums please, Fab?

what's the average bill for a couple there?

'upscale/incredible renowned chef' it wouldn't surprise me if you did make (with tips) what an average architect makes ..

Jan 5, 12 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

In the city I live in, the standard waiter take home pay for a year (from a decent, but not top-of-the-top restaurant) seems to land around low 50s.  It takes about 5 years out of school or so to hit that mark in architecture here.  Well, at least it used to - I have no idea if payscale in arch is still like that.

Jan 5, 12 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
SPYDER01

Average bill is about $150-$200 a couple.. I am not making a career out of this, just doing it night and weekends as I get some solid projects.. It just irks me that after all the s@*t you have to go through to get a license, the pay is just not there.  I didn't used to feel this way 10 years ago when I was a student and it wasn't "about the $$, but the passion" but since then and a wife and 2 kids later and a mortgage the saying is reversed.  Just a rant...

Jan 6, 12 11:05 am  · 
 · 
harold

There was a lecture at Autodesk University a few weeks ago where the presenter said that the best path of becoming an architect is to do an undergraduate archgitectural program.  Take some technical classes and go work for an architect. In the meantime, go to community college and get a bachelors in business or anything but architecture. When you finish your bachalors, you will  have at least  4-5 years of experience at an architecture firm. Then go and get your masters in Architecture.

At the end you will have a low student deth or any at all, 5+ years of working experience, a bachelors in something else which will always provides you an income if architecture dont work out for you.

Jan 8, 12 11:30 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: