Archinect
anchor

Planarized cellular decomposition, other computational experiments....

kefex

Hi 

I thought I'd share some computational work I've been doing lately.  Lately I've been experimenting with field-directed, planarized cellular decompositions of surfaces, and their possible application in architecture.  I recently had some interest from a UK architecture firm, and if everything works out (fingers crossed), we'll be building a pavilion based on the technique.  That project came about from a single comment I made in an architecture blog, so that has inspired me to flog my wares in places like this ;-)

A surface with negative curvature, segmented, then planarized via a nonlinear optimization.

(The point of planarizing, of course, is to make it easy to fabricate and assemble.)

Simpler case, where the shape is convex.

A nice feature that's not shown in the videos is that the decomposition can be field-directed; that is, driven by scalar and tangent fields embedded in the surface.

Incidentally, in case it's no obvious, IANAA; I'm a coder, recently finished a stint at Weta Digital (Avatar, Tintin, couple others), where I worked on modelling and animation tools.  Since I left NZ a few months ago I've been exploring the aesthetic possibilities of some of the techniques I learned there, and this is one of the things I came up with.

Anyway, any and all thoughts appreciated!

Cheers,

Kevin Atkinson

Jan 4, 12 12:24 pm

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: