Archinect
anchor

Russian fluency - how much will it help?

aphorismal

Hi,

Its getting to be that season where students are applying for summer internships.  Being a senior at a West Coast undergrad program, I feel like I really need to step on it with this internship business, and any edge in the application process would be nice.  I'm obviously going applying to all the usual purveyors of the snazziest architecture on offer, but I also have a skill that in certain context sets me apart: I speak fluent Russian.  I know for my friends in other professional fields (namely finance and business), this has been a huge asset.  So my question: would it make sense to apply to firms that have a lot of work in Russia, seeing as I potentially have a skill they need?  Or does everybody talk in English anyway, so it won't matter?

I know that the quality of my portfolio is what's really going to set me apart either way, but the economy's rough and I've heard some internship-search horror stories, so anything that gives me an edge...

Jan 2, 12 3:02 am
RED_M

Foster & Partners have (or used to have) lots of work in Russia and I saw job offers looking for Russian-speakers. And I reckon there are not many Western-educated Russian-speakers (contrary to, let's say, Chinese or Indian). 

Find which international offices do big projects in Russia and apply to them. 

Jan 2, 12 7:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: