Archinect
anchor

How long was your intership?

ted011

I am a high school student looking into architecture as a career, and after researching it for some time, I realized that internship, for most, doesn't last only 3 years. I read that sometimes it can take a considerable amount of years more. I was wondering how long your internship was. When it takes longer, is that because getting licensed isn't the individual's main focus? Is it even rare for internship to only take 3 years?

Dec 28, 11 10:08 pm
magentasky

Yes, it can take much longer depending on a lot of factors, one of them being your personal goals.

I don't know what state you are in, but the three year internship you are referring to is often for the Intern Development Program in pursuit of licensure.  IDP requires you to complete a certain number of work hours in different 'categories'.  Chances are not 100% of your worked hours will count towards IDP.  For example, if you work at a construction company you might be able to only satisfy a few categories.  Many people find themselves job-hopping just to get the experience they need to complete IDP.  It also depends on how supportive your firm is in giving you opportunities to gain the needed hours in each category.  If you are pigeon-holed into doing CAD drawings 24/7, you will have a hard time getting the required "on the field" experience.  Or if you firm only wants you to help out in the design phase, it will be difficult to get your hours for construction documents.  At the end of the day though, it's *you" who is responsible for making sure to stay on track and go after the experiences you need to complete all 5,600 hours in three years (if that's your goal).

I know people who got their license within three years of graduating.  I know others who have taken 10+ years to get their internship done.  And I know many in-between.  It just depends on how determined you are, what your goals are, and a bit of luck. 

Jan 5, 12 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

i believe the average is about 10 years

Jan 7, 12 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
tommater

How long is the medical (doctor) internship? 

Oct 5, 22 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Not as long as the interval time between the previous response and yours.

Oct 5, 22 7:56 pm  · 
4  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: