Archinect
anchor

Architecture in San Francisco

CitizenWalker

Making a quick trip to SF this weekend - could anyone suggest some must-do-architecture hot spots around there?

Thank you!

Dec 28, 11 10:44 am
tuna

The California Academy of Sciences

Dec 28, 11 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
ovalle

H&DM -De Young Museum (visit tower, it's free)

Portman - Embarcadero Center  and Hyatt Hotel

Botta - SFMoma ( afterwards walk over to yerba buena gardens)

Wright - Xanadu Gallery

Nervi - Saint Mary’s Cathedral

Morphosis - Federal Building (unfortunately it's closed on weekends)

Paffard Keating Clay - SF Art Institute

William Stout Architecture Books

If you have a car you can drive over to Marin and visit  Wright's Marin County City Center building. Or head to Oakland and visit SOM's Cathedral and the Oakland’s Museum of California by Dinkeloo & Roche.

Dec 28, 11 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
dbunton

Berkeley Art Museum (Mario Ciampi) is a must see if you're in the area...its a quick BART ride from the city

Dec 29, 11 12:14 am  · 
 · 
BrianYamagata

You can also check out  Libeskind's Jewish Art Museum Addition. It's right near Botta's SFMOMA. 

Dec 29, 11 12:44 am  · 
 · 
CitizenWalker

Thanks a lot guys! In a flight to SF right now!

Dec 29, 11 9:38 am  · 
 · 

Berkeley art museum is really nice and i want to go their for any means.  Art gallery is my weakness.

Nov 29, 13 3:46 am  · 
 · 
TIQM
San Francisco City Hall - Arthur Brown.
Nov 29, 13 7:22 pm  · 
 · 

There is a Greene and Greene house on the UC Berkeley campus. If you search online you'll find it. Email and you just might be able to get a personal tour. I did, and it was magnificent, even considering the well-used condition.

Nov 29, 13 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
observant

San Francisco is not known for good skyscrapers.  Quite the opposite,  Most high rises are lackluster.  The only 2 noteworthy ones as the Transamerica Pyramid (SOM ? - 1974) and the Bank of America Tower on California with the serrations (don't remember the architect, but it was a major firm, maybe Gensler).  As for the more famous civic ones, most have been mentioned.  Be sure to hit Berkeley on the weekend when the hippies are having their weekend market and you can check out the tie-dyed clothing.  I'm assuming they're still on Shattuck Avenue, under tented stands.  UC Berkeley's campanile is identical to that of Saint Mark's Square of Venice Italy except that it's (off) white, to match most other campus buildings of its day.

Nov 29, 13 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Bank of America World Headquarters Building, 1970-71; Wurster, Bernardi & Emmons, Inc, and SOM with Pietro Belluschi, design consultant;  Transamerica Pyramid, 1972; William Pereira & Assoc.

Nov 29, 13 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
observant

^ Close on the years, but missed the architects.  I knew major firms were associated with these buildings.  Pereira, really?  Interesting.  So many of the high-rise buildings in the Financial District are so bland compared to, say, Chicago's Loop.

By the way, the hippies in Berkeley on Shattuck may be too young to be hippies, so they might be granolas.  I had to think about that.

Add:  Palace of Fine Arts, Marina district, architect:  Bernard Maybeck (that one I remember).

Nov 29, 13 10:28 pm  · 
 · 

Our Lady of Maytag

Brutal collaboration by Nervi with sublime interior.

Nov 29, 13 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Sentinel Building

Dec 2, 13 10:38 am  · 
 · 
zonker

just wander around - and look between the buildings - 

http://www.paulmadonna.com/

Dec 2, 13 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Sep 16, 20 10:49 pm  · 
1  · 
newbie.Phronesis

O_O too eerily similar...

Sep 16, 20 11:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: