Arnaldo Pomodoro:

Henry Moore:

Jan 29, 06 4:06 pm
Alexander Calder

Jan 29, 06 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
mad+dash

Richard Serra
(sorry don't know how to post images, I tried though) ;)

Jan 29, 06 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
babs
JdesP

... here - let me do one for you ...

Richard Serra

Hope this is one you like !

Jan 29, 06 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
Jan 29, 06 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Jan 29, 06 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
AP

Calder

Judd

Serra

Beuys

Smithson

Morris

Turrell

^that last one is Kijkduin, located in the Netherlands, not the crater.

Jan 29, 06 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
general acres
david ireland

and gordon matta-clark among others

Jan 29, 06 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
bb8

chaim gross

Jan 29, 06 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
ichweiB

the Marfa boys

Jan 29, 06 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
spark

giacometti

Jan 29, 06 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.
Jan 29, 06 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.
Jan 29, 06 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

betadinesutures, you didn't list the name of your inverted church's author: Dennis Oppenheim. Very nice.

I hate to be a dick, but almost all of the work listed above is really Modern art, not contemporary art. I mean, about 70% of the artists above are dead. Not that their work isn't good and worth knowing, that's not what I'm saying. As architects we really owe it to our culture to know the important Modern attitudes to sculpture and space. God knows Judd and Serra exist in every bit of contemporary architecture!

But “contemporary” work? What about these:

Erwin Wurm - just so cool, the fat car

Ron Mueck - brilliantly crafted scale manipulations

Sarah Sze - quite architectural

Ken Price - you can get lost in his surfaces

Wim Delvoye - makes you uncomfortable in a hilarious way

Just throwing out a few. Of course my absolute favorite is my own Brian McCutcheon, but sadly I don't have any images of his work that are postable. Tomorrow, I hope.

Jan 29, 06 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

George Raggett

Jan 29, 06 11:45 pm  · 
 · 

this thing was qiute amazing...

by m. kapoor at the tate modern

my favorite view was from the bridge in the middle but can't find it just now...

Jan 30, 06 12:17 am  · 
 · 
Suture

my dog

Jan 30, 06 12:34 am  · 
 · 
notone-co

Antony Gormley, is one of my favorite. The photography and location of his pieces are great.

www.antonygormley.com

Matthew Barney, eventhough not solely a sculptor, has very many sculptures that are essentially props from his Cremaster Cycle movies.

www.cremaster.net

If you know about this set of movies called "The Cremaster Cycle" and do not know what a cremaster is, then look it up. It will put a whole new spin on the movies.

Jan 30, 06 12:36 am  · 
 · 
geezopeez

rebecca horn.

magdalena abakanowicz.

sarah lucas.

Jan 30, 06 12:56 am  · 
 · 
Heather Ring

right now grooving on things that hang:

eva hesse (always)

sarah sze

cornelia parker

Jan 30, 06 1:28 am  · 
 · 
upside

love gormley.
say this last time i was in london

and this was a couple of days drive bush from where i live. completely sublime. lots of tour busses though

Jan 30, 06 4:19 am  · 
 · 
Guffman

Another one that I'm a fan of...Mark di Suvero:

link: http://www.stormking.org/MarkdiSuvero.html

Jan 30, 06 8:52 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oh and this guy too: Tim Hawkinson. I love all his work, of course the Uberorgan:

But also this smiley-face thing, the Emotor:

which makes faces at you.

He also did a total Minimalist piece that entranced me. I mean I couldn't walk away from this thing in the gallery. It was a piece of 8.5x11 white copy paper, pinned to the wall, and torn in half to the point that it was almost two pieces of paper. The tiniest strand holding these two halfs together was all but invisible. The amount of tension in my body looking at this thing that was litereally a hair away from falling apart....oh man. It was amazing. (Can't find a pic.)

Jan 30, 06 9:04 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

liberty....the first piece was probably inspired by someone's bladder..

and the second piece would probably make Marilyn manson retire to an Amish community.

gosh..that guy ( Tim Hawkinson) is a psychopath.u seriously like his work ????

Jan 30, 06 9:14 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I <3 Tim Hawkinson.

So does this guy:

Jan 30, 06 9:22 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

whoop de doo for ya libbell !..

I guesss art hath no boundaries after all !

Jan 30, 06 9:23 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

nevermore...
are you at all familiar with hawkinson's work?
i saw his show at the whitney and it's very, very cool...
very architectural..all about measuring and documenting
his own body/existence...

l.b. i liked the sculpture that he
set up to sign his name over and over and over...
it was a school desk with ticker tape and each time the machine/desk
signed his name it would chop the paper off so at the end of the day
there'd be a pile of thousands of signatures accumulated..

Jan 30, 06 9:23 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

lars..actually Im not familiar with Tim hawkinson..and you may call me biased or ignorant or un-exposed but after seeing his samples I think I dont want to ever be familiar.

Jan 30, 06 9:28 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oh and how could I forget: Janine Antoni, MacArthur Genius:

Painting a gallery floor with hair dye:

chocolate bust/soap bust, she gnawed and bathed with:

and one for the boys – bathing with cows

Jan 30, 06 9:36 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

well nevermore...if that's how quickly you form an opinion
then yes i think you're tending towards bliss...if that's
indeed what ignorance equals...

what you don't get from those samples is the movement
that's involved in all or most of his sculptures..they're all
mini machines that are designed to change/morph etc...

for instance that face has all kinds of moving parts to make it
smile, frown, etc. it's nowhere near sadistic..if anything it's
whimsical and amusing. but that's just my opinion.

Jan 30, 06 9:45 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

Lars
First of all as far as what you guys (lib and you ) have showed me....

I am of no level to pass judgement on his work but I dont think that Tim hawkinson can be classified as a "sculptor " I would term him an installation artist.

and that can be said for almost all of the favourite sculpture pieces that have been posted here in this thread.

(im only speaking from what has been posted or written abt his works,(..May be I have a rigid view abt what "sculpture" is ..i dont know.. )

Anyways,
I dont know if you can call him "contemporary"..but one of my favourite sculptors is Josef Thorak.( a german sculptor of the third reich)

a couple of my favourites.

"mother with child"

" prometheus"

Jan 30, 06 9:47 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

nevermore, don't think of sculpture as "objects". That Prometheus exists in space. Maybe you saw it in a museum: a slightly moumental space, larger than the rooms you typically spend time in. Was it at the end of an axis? Was it between two large columns? Was it central in a room, surrounded by smaller ("lesser"?) works?

Now picture it in an open field. Then in a bedroom. The "object" changes dramatically, no? Think of these things we are posting as objects that adapt the local space, not objects that exist in a void. Sculpture is about how your body is affected by the way the sculpture affects space.

That Hawkinson Uberorgan makes "music": it breathes and exhales and bellows. The sound is as much a part of the sculpture - and it's affect on space - as the material of it.

Jan 30, 06 9:57 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Does Douglas Gordon count? His face stuff is a lot easier, just get some scotch tape and have at it!

Jan 30, 06 9:57 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell
...and it's affect on space

Oh god my most hated grammatical error and I did it myself, so sorry. Should be "...and its affect on space". So sorry.

Jan 30, 06 9:58 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

sculp·ture
Pronunciation: 'sk&lp-ch&r
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin sculptura, from sculptus, past participle of sculpere to carve, alteration of scalpere to scratch, carve
1 a : the action or art of processing (as by carving, modeling, or welding) plastic or hard materials into works of art b (1) : work produced by sculpture (2) : a three-dimensional work of art (as a statue)

nevermore.
i guess i understand your reasoning...although possibly your
definition is a bit stringent...hawkinson does have quite a few
carved pieces and 'sculpted' pieces as well.

my favorite sculptor of all time is michelangelo by your definition..
also the norwegian sculptor gustav vigeland
http://www.anthroarcheart.org/tblk100.htm
if any of you are ever in oslo you should go check it out...just
very cool stuff.

Jan 30, 06 10:00 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

ahem, how bout that brian guy lb? Hmmm? Shouldn't HE be your fave?

Jan 30, 06 10:00 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

lb..personally my most hated when people use your instead of you're
...although i find it amusing when people use it when typing things
such as 'your so dumb' or something of that nature..

Jan 30, 06 10:02 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

fog l..she mentioned him in an earlier post...

Jan 30, 06 10:03 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

Well liberty ..yes i understand your point....

you wrote :--Sculpture is about how your body is affected by the way the sculpture affects space..

but liberty..everything is in some space..every thing in this universe..it exists in some space...right ?..so everything is a sculpture ?..this universe is then a sculpture or is it a sculptor...we will get into pointless semantics if we take that trail.

you wrote about what sculpture is "about"...

thats what its "about"..but from a traditional view point , what sculpture "is "..the word comes from the Latin sculpere..meaning to cut/carve chisel in stone/ wood etc.

thats what I was trying to say...if we talk from a purely traditional viewpoint..

I dont think its right ..if for. eg..i balance three of my pencils in a rented space in an art gallery and call it my sculpture.

I was merely talking about the fundamental use of nomenclature there.("..the word comes from the Latin sculpere..meaning to cut/carve chisel in stone/ wood etc.)

Jan 30, 06 10:05 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Yep, that Brian guy I'm married to is, as stated above, my all-time fave - but since his website is Flash, I can't grab any of his images. Here's one that exists on the web, and that falls much more neatly into the definition of "sculpture as object":

Not his best work by far, but one that people tend to gravitate to very naturally. (They "get it".)

Jan 30, 06 10:07 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

nevermore...

(2) : a three-dimensional work of art (as a statue)

your definition is the first accepted definition of the word
sculpture.. but the above has been accepted as well as just as
worthy a definition

Jan 30, 06 10:13 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

nevermore at a very basic level if we're talking about art we're talking about intent. If you balance three pencils to keep your hands busy while talking on the phone, no it's not "art". If you balance three pencils because that is the formal resolution of some bigger idea you are trying to represent, especially as a communication with others, well, we're getting close to art though not necessarily there yet.

Yes it's a lot of semantics but ultimately sculpture, to me, as opposed to painting or photography, uses as its first material space. Yes painting et al affect space. Yes everything affects space. Sculpture has gravity as an initial component, as does architecture. And one of the things that separates those two pursuits is intent.

Jan 30, 06 10:16 am  · 
 · 
mdler
www.gregorybarsamian.com
Jan 30, 06 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
general acres
tara donovan
tadashi kawamata
chris drury

andy goldsworthy

Jan 30, 06 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Here's a few more of the work of my favorite sculptor, Brian McCutcheon:

Stud – a 2x4 with auto paint

Exhaust – that's a car exhaust system made of toilet paper rolls. Paper coming out the back.

Those two plus the hotrod grill above were part of a body of work about “manly summertime pursuits”

This one is a little more quiet.
Buddha

Thanks for letting me pimp my husband.

Jan 30, 06 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

And for you nevermore - I'm enjoying our discussion. Here is a piece more in the realm of "traditional" figurative sculpture.

Mark Quinn

sculpture of a pregnant woman

Jan 30, 06 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

antony gormley

note how relevant his 'figure fields' are to contempory arch discourse...

Jan 30, 06 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

This is relevant: Nam June Paik passed away yesterday

Jan 30, 06 1:25 pm  · 
 · 

i like claes oldenburg for many reasons, he should be as important as andy warhol when it comes to pop. his work with frank gehry (binocular) is his worst by far.

i also like john chamberlain and walter de maria. all blue chip. there are many more i like including Brian McCutcheon.

Jan 30, 06 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Thanks Orhan. I have to say Oldenburg's SpoonBridgeCherry is one of my favorite sculptures ever!

Here is an example of a very traditional figurative sculptural work by which I was deeply impressed: the much-disliked Korean War Memorial in DC:

A few key points. These figures are as traditional as can be: cast bronze, very detailed. But their installation is very contemporary: they are scattered, not gathered on a plinth. They are surrounded by noise that is utterly integral to the piece: the sound of dripping and falling and running water in a jungle. Also, they are slightly larger than life-size, which gives them just a slight other-worldliness. As individual objects they are not so powerful. But as an installation, they become one very effective sculpture (IMO – go ahead and blast me for that ya'll – I still love it).

Jan 30, 06 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I like the Guy in the Nevada Desert. I just can't rmember his name. His project is like a maya ruin except for this century.

Jan 30, 06 1:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: