Archinect
anchor

Good examples of lightweight canopies?

DJ

I'm looking for some precedents for a lightweight canopy structure I am designing. Who has some good examples of stl. or aluminum framed canopies?
Thanks

Jun 28, 04 10:39 am
DJ

what, no examples?

Jun 28, 04 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
Jason K
www.conservatek.com
Jun 28, 04 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
e

here are a couple of books that might be of interest to you >>

lightness: the inevitable renaissance of minimum energy structures by adriaan beukers and ed van hinte

light tech: towards a light architecture by richard horden.

the horden book is particularly nice.

Jun 28, 04 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
mdler
http://www.birdair.com/birdair/flash.html
Jun 28, 04 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
Jason K

bump
I'd like to hear more about this

Jun 28, 04 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
a-f

Hans-Joachim Schock: "Soft Shells" (Birkhäuser) is an excellent book if you're interested in tensile architecture, like Ron Herron's excellent Imagination Building roof cover. My overall favourite lightweight structure has to be Renzo Piano's and Peter Rice's mobile IBM Pavillion.

Jun 29, 04 3:12 am  · 
 · 
DJ

These are all interesting responses, thank you. But most of those books from Birkhauser are very expensive. Also, the Birdair stuff is too large scaled for what I am looking for.
How about some smaller canopies (entry canopies, or shading canopies that are more garden elements.)
Grazie

Jun 29, 04 9:15 am  · 
 · 
silverlake

Check out Andrew Zago's Greening of Detroit Pavilion in Detroit.

Jun 29, 04 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
e

i would maybe take a look at some old detail mags. i bet you might find one that discusses this issue.

Jun 29, 04 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman
www.ftlstudio.com
Jun 29, 04 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
DJ

Thanks guys, these are great
How about more?

Jun 30, 04 9:06 am  · 
 · 
DJ

Bump

Jun 30, 04 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

what the heck is this 'bump' anyway? could you please stop doing that? what on earth is that supposed to mean?

Jun 30, 04 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
proto

[ok i'll bite]

"bump"

Jun 30, 04 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
DJ

it's just a way to bring the thread back to the top cause i'm self important

Jun 30, 04 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
Jason K

yeah me too....bump

Jun 30, 04 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
justavisual

any new additions to the list from the past 3-4 years?

time to revive. its summer.

Jul 1, 08 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

umbrella?

Jul 1, 08 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
justavisual

inventive fun things...

Jul 1, 08 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

This can stretch into quite an extensive list here are some of my favorites:

First the classics, if you want to get into lightweight structures, start with Frei Otto and Jorg Schlaich . Both are master builders, Otto an architect and Schlaich an Engineer, who among many other things, invented strut and tie models for reinforced concrete design.

After words, check out the follow:
Horst Berger another designer involved in many different lightweight projects. This book is also especially cheap, though if possible, I would seak out the full color original edition.

More on the theory side of lightweight design, related to, but not exclusive to architecture, check out Lightness one of my personal favorite books on the subject. From a more detail oriented side of things, Huntington's book is excellent. It is written by the ASCE, you can image the style and presentation is a little different.

Other than those, any of the other Frei Otto books are good, especially the work at the Institute of Lightweight design in Stuttgart, Germany.

Jul 1, 08 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

I knew I was forgetting one. And of course it is one of the best! check out Membrane Structures . It has many example projects from builders around the world, of varied size and age. Also contains excellent in depth information on membrane construction and materials, such as ETFE film and fluoropolymer glass fiber fabrics.

Jul 1, 08 7:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: