Archinect
anchor

residential lighting design

WonderK

OK you guys, I'm working on a frat house right now, and that's all fine and good but I don't know the first thing about residential lighting design and I don't have time to learn. If anyone's bored and knows something about this, and you want to throw some suggestions or specs on light fixtures my way, please do so. I would appreciate it.

thanks.

Jan 17, 06 11:35 am
abracadabra

make sure to use dimmer switches K.

Jan 17, 06 11:44 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Gosh. Dimmers. Hadn't even thought of that. Thanks abra.

Jan 17, 06 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

WonderK, I can't get past the shining truckload of good fortune that has you working on...a frat house.

Whew, ok now that I've caught my breath.

I like the fixtures from Shaper Lighting. They straddle a residential/institutional aesthetic, and they're inexpensive. I haven't used them since Shaper was aquired by Cooper, so perhaps the quality has changed, but several years ago they were a very good choice for residential/educational/dorm type uses.

I imagine there are plenty of 'necters who can shed some light (haha) on what kind of day-to-day abuse these light fixtures might undergo in a frat setting - can anyone share? Perhaps: no ceiling pendants because they'll be used as trapezes, and certainly no bowl pendant fixtures because they'll end up full of beer, etc. etc....

Jan 17, 06 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

lb, you have no idea. Good fortune rains down upon me on a daily basis.

Actually given our options right now, this is one of the more interesting projects in the office. I'm not going to tell you which frat it is though.

You should have heard our conversation re: which carpet to use. I believe the word "urine" was included in the discussion.

Jan 17, 06 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

..and no doubt "vomit" is a carpet-related concern too...

Jan 17, 06 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
rayray

man they're brave using carpet - just give them the slab so they can hose it all down the drain - seriously.

trust the dimmer - your best lighting friend.
these are handy:

http://www.elumit.com
http://www.bartcolighting.com

Jan 17, 06 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Thanks rayray!

Jan 17, 06 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?
modiss

i like the pendants. but i don't think they'd last more than a week in a frat house. i agree. do a nice polished concrete w/ plenty of floor drains.

i never understood the concept of making t-shirts to exult the party you went to... are there a lot of high-fives at the client meetings?

Jan 17, 06 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
rayray

dude - shots then high fives.

Jan 17, 06 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
d-t

runs led strips beneath muted glass floors with active motion sensors. everyone will be 'tripping'.

Jan 17, 06 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
Queen of England

When your design is done,
the frat boyz will by trying to 'turn on' ______
or 'light up' ______

(the correct answer is: light fixtures)

Jan 17, 06 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
Dazed and Confused

Well - I'd use incandescent bulbs in the rooms and fluorescents everywhere else - otherwise they will steal them and the whole place will be dark all the time. - Do a tiny, little, small, yet painfully obvious bit of trick/track/accent lighting to make yourself look good - but know that it will last exactly two days.

Jan 18, 06 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

I'd use fluorescents everywhere preferably with bulb cages and rated for damp environments. They are going to put halogen torchieres in their rooms anyway.

I miss college.

Jan 18, 06 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Urine Carpet.....might want to consider dog oder eater....as a solution to the frat boys who can't hit a toilet....

Jan 18, 06 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I love that this thread has gone from lighting design to "overall worst case scenario materials guide".

The worst is in the meetings when I'm the only girl in there and one of the guys mentions the storage room in the basement, and then the frat brothers involved on the project chuckle. At this point I usually say something like, "I'm not asking and no, I don't want to know".

Jan 18, 06 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

fat drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son...

Jan 18, 06 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
e

vado, two out of three can't be all that bad though.

Jan 18, 06 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
jhuanger629

lots of black lighting to accentuate the white spaces on beer cans =)

Oct 4, 07 6:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: