Archinect
anchor

Starting IDP?

oxbow

I couldn't figure this out by looking at the NCARB website, so here goes.... I have a B.A. in fine arts and have been working as an intern at several arch. firms before I get my M. Arch. Can I count this time towards my IDP requirement, or do I have to wait until after graduate school? Thanks

Jan 15, 06 1:19 am
difficultfix

Acording to NCARB, you can start your IDP as soon as you start your second year of your M-Arch program... assuming that you are in a 4+3, if you were in a 4 +2 I believ its in the 3rd year of your architectural undergra..But dont qoute me on this second option I might be wrong.....

Aug 2, 07 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

NCARB says one year into a M.Arch program for those with a non-architecture undergrad, but you have to be careful as to what they consider a year. You can start IDP after your first 32 credits (assuming a semester system) of architecture courses toward the M.Arch (credit from non-architecture courses doesn't count).

So the answer to your question is no, unfortunately you will not be able to count the time spent working before grad school. You would, however, be able to count any summer internships you do after achieveing 32 credits (you have to stay in the internship 10 consecutive weeks).

Source: IDP Guidelines 2006-2007 (NCARB publication)

Aug 3, 07 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

Just noticed this question is over a year and a half old! We're just getting around to answering now?! I have a feeling oxbow already found the answer...or will end up learning the hard way.

Aug 3, 07 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

it's good to know because I've been wondering about this. It sucks that my 2 years working for architects and contractors (full time and internship) doesn't count. Is it counted 1/2 time when working for a contractor after you start your Pro program? I better look it up...

Aug 3, 07 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

Bryan4Arch..

the ten consequtive weeks is only if you are working 40+ hours, if you are part time its 6 months but you have to stay above 25 hours week, or else ..as soon as you go under the clock starts over.

Aug 3, 07 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

It's now 8 consecutive weeks, and for 35 hours minimum per week.

All of this is in the IDP guidelines. Order an IDP packet at www.ncarb.org and read all the current rules for yourself.

Once you have finished 1 year in a first-professional M.Arch program (or your 3rd year of either a 4-year non-professional architecture major or a 5-year B.Arch program) you can start counting experience.

You can count up to 6 months' worth of units working for a licensed contractor. But you can only use this to satisfy certain categories of required units - mostly in the construction administration and "other related activities" categories. You can't use any of that experience to satisfy any of the design or construction document units.

Aug 4, 07 12:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: