Archinect
anchor

design in scandinavia

mauOne™

Hello fellow archinecters, even though a little late, I wish you all the best 2006.

I am going to the Nordic countries for a month in March, and I am wondering if you could point me towards web sites and tips of works and young people designing in the Nordic countries, Denmark, Norway, Finland & Sweden. Most of the discussions are centered in central Europe and the mainstream, and I would like to see what's going on farther north.

I've tried to contact people who have presence on the FRAPPR map, but I don't know if that works.

Thank you

Jan 10, 06 6:53 pm
ichweiB

PLOT is pretty popular right now. Young design guys who have been lecturing and teaching hear in the States this past semester. I don't know what their schedule is this spring, but they were adjunct at Rice, and lectured throughout the country as well.
Check out their website www.plot.dk

Jan 10, 06 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

do these folks count as "young"?

http://www.claesson-koivisto-rune.se

Jan 10, 06 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

hey ochona, these guys are soo good, i will definetly try to visit them
i bought their GG book but its not as complete as their web site, theres a text by T. Riley, but no me ha emocionado.

mjh00c, thanx

Jan 10, 06 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

make sure u meet some viking gurlz...

Jan 10, 06 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

ill send you pics vado ;op

Jan 10, 06 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
Helsinki

Check out carl-viggo Holmbeck (or something) norwegian, very good in a place/material conscious way. totally different approach than plot.

Jan 11, 06 2:57 am  · 
 · 
Helsinki

There are a few yougish firms in finland too, JKMM and ALA-arkkitehdit and avanto arkkitehdit come to mind.
http://www.jkmm.fi/index.html
http://www.ala-a.com
http://www.avan.to/

Jan 11, 06 3:00 am  · 
 · 
Sylvester

(mjh00c, rumor has it that the PLOT guys split up...)

And helsinki, I think its Carl-Viggo Hølmebakk?

btw, check out louisianna outside of copenhagen - absolutely fantastic http://www.louisiana.dk/default.asp?contentsection=572998AF1F404EF081B3A973E7ED6D15&zcs=

Jan 11, 06 5:49 am  · 
 · 
Helsinki

yep, correct. and louisiana is awesome.

Jan 11, 06 6:10 am  · 
 · 

Here's a great website for checking out the latest built projects in Copenhagen as well as those on the boards. There's a map too:
http://www.cphx.dk/

This site has a more comprehensive listing of projects in Copenhagen. Some old, some new:
http://www.dac.dk/guide/

Jan 11, 06 7:36 am  · 
 · 
mauOne™

awsome rpsnino, thanx

Oslo & Stockholm anyone?

Jan 11, 06 8:28 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

here's my scoop on oslo...

i visited these guys last time i was in oslo. i'm not sure if they qualify as young but i really like their work. definitely check out their oslo architecture school (AHO)

another very young, but promising firm

there was an issue of A+U last year that focused on the most recent generation of young norwegian architects...might be worth a look since it featured more architects than i can remember off the top of my head.

lastly, although it's not an architecture resource, as a general reference/starting point on all things scandinavian i often take a look at noisedfisk. they are especially good at keeping up with the music scene and their discussion boards can be helpful too...although not as fluid as our beloved archinect.

Jan 11, 06 9:02 am  · 
 · 
rutger

some architect links:

Dorte Mandrup
Erskine
Henning Larsen
Niels Torp
saunders-wilhelmsen (although they split up)
Then there is Alvaar Aalto offcourse

And finally these amazing wooden churches:

Jan 11, 06 9:41 am  · 
 · 
rutger

btw. Only Dorte Mandrup and Saunders-Wilhelmsen are young firms

Jan 11, 06 9:47 am  · 
 · 
mauOne™

thanx rutger, those churches look amazing !! no smoking please :op

Jan 11, 06 10:20 am  · 
 · 
ochona

"Christiania is a social experiment with self-government and a democracy based on dialogue replacing majority voting. Christiania was started in an abandoned army baracks in Copenhagen, Denmark, in 1971. The current government is not particularly sympathetic with the aims and achievements of Christiania, since soft drugs have been part of the experience."

Jan 11, 06 10:33 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

you might also want to take a look at christian norberg-schulz's book on the architecture of scandinavia called nightlands: nordic building

cns does a nice job of explaining the nuance of the mood of the north...especially in comparison to southern europe. maybe you don't need to read the whole thing, but i definitely recommend at least the first chapter if you're truly curious about "what's going on farther north" admittedly, it's not so much about today's fashions and latest architecture styles but it will offer you the knowledge of history to judge recent projects within an evolving scandinavia context...and i found that perspective to be personally rewarding. i also liked the manner in which he broke down all the sometimes subtle geographical differences between the scandinavian countries (denmark, sweden, norway & finland)...this makes for an informative travel companion.

Jan 11, 06 11:42 am  · 
 · 
ochona

it was great then, it's great now

the tunnelbana stop is "skogskyrkogården"

there was a pizza place next to the T-stop that was pretty good as i recall

Jan 11, 06 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

hey puddles, great stuff,

I recall a conversation years ago at a biennale, where a Swedish architect, complainted about how architecture in Sweden was getting so WESTERN with globalization and trendy design influence, losing the QUALITY that had set it appart in terms of regulations, confort and design detail.

Jan 11, 06 1:12 pm  · 
 · 

puddles - thanks for the tip. I picked up the Nightlands book today and am really enjoying it so far. Northern Europe really is so much different than the south and it's pretty sweet to see some distinct differences in terms of the built and natural environments.

Jan 12, 06 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
jkv

In sweden:
24H Architecture www.24h-architecture.com
Gert Wingardh Arkitektkontor www.wingardhs.se
SANDELL SANDBERG www.sandellsandberg.se
Tham Videgard Hansson www.thamvidegardhansson.se

In Norway:
Todd Saunders http://www.saunders.no
JARMUND & VIGSNAES http://www.jva.no
Space Group

But I don't know if they are young

Jan 12, 06 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

here's a link to the a+u issue that i mentioned above, norway: fehn and his contemporary legacies. it also has links to several somewhat young-ish architecture firms. (young being a very relevant term in architecture)

also, i'm glad to hear you guys like the nightlands book. i was absolutely hooked by the time i reached page six and norberg-schulz broke down the relationship between the the norwegian word vær (weather) and å være (to be)...that the most basic terms of the language ground the idea of "to be-ing" in terms of the environment—that is, to be is to weather—was insightful and remains very powerful to me. obviously i really enjoyed that book...maybe i'll read it again soon since it has definitely helped me cope with the winter

my apologies if i'm being a bit norge-centric but its the country that i know the best of the nordic ones. mauOne, just curious but are you skipping iceland altogether? if you have the time, i'd really suggest adding it to complete your survey of the north. just my 2¢

Jan 13, 06 1:23 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

...and here's a link to the space kids that jkv neglected

Jan 13, 06 1:35 am  · 
 · 
a-f

Some more:

General Architecture
Brendeland Kristoffersen
Uglycute
Wilhelmson

Jan 13, 06 3:15 am  · 
 · 
mauOne™

hi puddles

iceland seems just too far out of my reach, in terms of distance, time and $$
instead i thought about St. Petersburg that is just around the corner from helsinki, and if anyone could gimme pointers to better appreciate SP id be thankful

:o)

Jan 13, 06 3:34 am  · 
 · 
ebh

Norway:

www.norwaysays.no
www.fantasticnorway.no
www.hha.no

Jan 26, 06 8:25 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

mau1

if you want to see a stave church in norway it's pretty easy...
there's a building museum in oslo on the island of bygdoy..
i think that's the spelling...on that island are the building museum
which is like a village representing the history of norway through
a bunch of buildings...really interesting just to walk around and
see all the different building typologies and discover stuff...and
they have a stave church.

also on the island are the kon tiki museum and the viking ship
museum..the viking ship museum has three viking ships which
are interesting..i also liked the munch museet which is where the
scream used to be..before it was stolen again.

in hamar...there's a museum by sverre fehn that is really nice...
it also has recent additions by him as well as a glass enclosure by
another architect that encloses some ruins...also nice.

snohetta is also in oslo..and they're sort of young. and their
opera house should be under construction by now.

Jan 26, 06 9:25 am  · 
 · 
mauOne™

PUDDLES, dude, infinite thanx for the book recommendation,
I got a used one, from amazon very cheap and very good condition, hardcover
im on the first chapter and im loving it !
I highly recommend it to everyone.

So im wondering if you guys could turn this thread into a what to do and what to visit thread for Oslo, Helsinki, Stockholm and Copenhagen, including non architecture things to do

Or should this go onto another thread ?

Many thanx

Feb 14, 06 10:55 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: