Archinect
anchor

Tennessee Knoxville anyone???

THuh

Anyone from the University of Tennessee-Knoxville architecture school (any level) wanna tell us about their program? Interested...

Jan 8, 06 12:31 am
ichweiB

I almost went there, but decided not to. I am from Nashville, so when applying to grad school I thought about staying close to home, but I went to Texas instead. Anyhow, I do know it is a strong regional program. From what I have heard from people who are there, they focus a a good percentage on the technical side of architecture. They do indeed focus on design, but I personally got turned off by some of the other things they focus on that are pointless...like practicing writing arch. font over and over(which could have been just an undergrad thing). It was my opinion that some things they focused on weren't necessary and could be figured out outside of an intense program. that is why I opted for a more design oriented school. But anyhow, I do know it is a good school. A lot of big firms in Nashville like UT grads, and they produce good architects.

Jan 8, 06 2:04 am  · 
 · 
garpike

I would go just to be in Tennessee. Fun state. (Just try not to dwell on the poverty)

Jan 8, 06 10:27 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Try even harder not to dwell IN the poverty.

Jan 8, 06 11:10 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Touche!

Jan 8, 06 11:11 am  · 
 · 
ichweiB

Actually Tennessee has some of the richest areas in the country. Take Belle Meade in Nashville for example. I read once that it was 3rd to Beverly Hills and another area close by that.
Brentwood-right outside of Nashville is also a very fluent area. However, none of these areas are close to Knoxville, so I am not sure what the experience is like, but being from the Middle Tennessee area, I can speak for it.
If you end up going to UT, you ought to check out firms in Nashville that will let you do coop work for them. I know Earl Swinnson Architects have a program like that. You might also check out Tuck Hinton Architects. They are a great firm.
Anyhow, Tennessee is a great place to be in regard to an architectural presence and future. Nashville specifically has seen exponential growth over the past 20 years, and now the city center is becoming a place where more and more people are choosing to live.
Numerous companies have contracts to move into the downtown area to open up groceries and other household related stores making it even easier for people to live there.
Upon finishing graduate school here in Texas, my wife and I plan to move back to Nashville to live and work.

Jan 8, 06 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
ichweiB

excuse me- I meant affluent* not fluent.

Jan 8, 06 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
comb

mjh00c ... what are they "fluent" in around Brentwood ?

French ... Italian ... Country ?

(sorry, i have many friends in that part of the state ... i just couldn't resist the temptation to poke a little fun !)

Jan 8, 06 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
ichweiB

I know. It was well deserving. Heck I wrote it. Actually a lot of people in Brentwood are fluent in taking out mortgages on huge homes they can't afford, financing BMWs they can't afford but acting like they can.

Jan 8, 06 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
marimbaONE

I would say that when I was at UT (99-04) the program was very much design oriented (and still is) due to a number of young profs. - although some of which have moved on. very good program - not sure about the new dean.

http://web.utk.edu/%7earchinfo/a432/default.html

http://www.arch.utk.edu/dm/default.html

Jan 10, 06 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
tycamp007

i agree with marimbaONE

i would also like to add that the college experience i had there with greek life and football (when we use to be good) is something i'll never trade for anything

Jan 10, 06 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

i grew up in franklin in williamson county, one of the wealthiest counties in the country. it's interesting, because from where i lived you could drive five miles in one direction and be in a really affluent neighborhood or drive five miles in another direction and see people living in tijuana-style shacks.

Jan 10, 06 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
ichweiB

Hey MarimbaONE: where are you working in Nashville?

Jan 10, 06 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
marimbaONE

mmm . . . Im gonna have to be incognito on that one

Jan 10, 06 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
THuh

Anyone else have a story to tell of their experiences at the University of Tennessee-Knoxville?

Feb 7, 06 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
aking

Old thread, but as a recent grad I have to say this program is definitely worth considering.

There is an abundance of resources: great facilities, latest technology, wood shop with laser cutter and mill machine, supply store IN the building, fantastic library collection including subscriptions to all relevant arch mags. There is also a balcony on the third floor which has been illegally used by students to sleep in tents...

There is a mix of young and old professors and maybe more importantly a good mix of practicing professors and academics. And in response to the lettering exercise, this is done by one of the older professors who was around when the school was started. You haven't fully experienced the program until you have him for studio.

There is a great lecture series that has past lectures available online.
The school is housed in the A+A bldg with art kids on one side and arch and id kids on the other. I wouldn't consider the program technically based by any means, not sure where that notion came from.

In state tuition is a steal at around 3k a year and 9k for out of state.
Knoxville has a good downtown scene and pretty decent firms in the area. And there is also a little football in the fall.

Oct 16, 07 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
ether

what does wealth in the nashville area have to do with the sale price of swiss clocks in the northern congo?

Oct 17, 07 9:32 am  · 
 · 
aking

I believe a few were assuming that Tennessee had an above average amount of poverty thus the wealthy areas of Tennessee were pointed out.

Oct 17, 07 9:59 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

congo? oh, i love kinshasa modernism

Oct 17, 07 9:59 am  · 
 · 
marimbaONE

The program was great until '04. After the dean left, there was an exodus. A lot of great young profs. moved on.

Oct 17, 07 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
aking

The dean didn't leave. She is still there teaching. Granted there was controversy surrounding it but both sides were guilty. The ones that left, in my opinion, wouldn't of stuck around anyway except for Siggy and he was unfortunately too expensive.
The current dean is a pretty good replacement.

Oct 17, 07 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
marimbaONE

My bad ... thats what I meant. I just thought is was a bad situation. I have not been back. I know Stach is still there, he was one of my favs.

Oct 17, 07 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
clerestory strip™

I guess I may have to give UT a shot. Only a 3 hour drive from Nashville...:/

Nov 24, 07 7:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: