foster, calatrava, h&m, pawson

Jan 10, 06 5:41 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

calatrava is a joke. seriously.

Jan 10, 06 7:39 am  · 
 · 
meta

c`mon man! what is wrong with calatrava? that guy has a way with forms.

Jan 10, 06 7:47 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

The master craftsman and artist Philip Nixon. Now that's a joke!

Jan 10, 06 8:49 am  · 
 · 
jabber

so eVo ... does ethnicity or gender make somebody a better architect or worthy of more attention ?

silly me ... i always thought it was the quality of one's work that established one's reputation

Jan 10, 06 9:15 am  · 
 · 
bigness

i love zaha.

Jan 10, 06 9:40 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

phillip johnson...aside from his adroit use of ballet classicism, the idea of him spending time in the us military and doing latrine duty for a couple of year during wwII is just too endearingly precious.

Jan 10, 06 10:56 am  · 
 · 
ferd

campo baeza!

look for him witha pritzker in the next few years.

sublime!

Jan 10, 06 11:33 am  · 
 · 
Nell Lime

Alver Alto
I like how he worked with accoustics, lighting and humanistic aspects to such intersting detailed levels that they are reported to be amazing and I wish I could go to Finland to see some of his buildings.

Jan 10, 06 11:45 am  · 
 · 

or you could visit m.i.t., nell. on one of your east coast days.

Jan 10, 06 11:58 am  · 
 · 

among my favorites, because i could never limit to one and several of my favorites have already been mentioned:

sverre fehn
mecanoo
rcr aranda pigem vilalta arquitectes
abalos & herreros

Jan 10, 06 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

hey, what happened to mecanoo?

Jan 10, 06 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
DoYouWantCoffee

I liked something Rem said once.

Jan 10, 06 12:17 pm  · 
 · 

When it comes to architects one is not enough:
michael sorkin-urban thought
peter waldman-postmodern tectonic storyteller
lebbeus woods-destruction as creation
pugh+scarpa-clean/sustainable
rural studio/sambo-do i need to say something?
randall stout-gehry without the suckiness
jersey devils-the jazz musicians of architecture
morphosis-great process-work ethic
MVRDV-great paper architects not always good architects
oma-research NOT BUILDINGS
plot-love their work, it is sensible and straight forward
piano-seems to really care about his craft
mansilla+tunon-great renderings
enric miralles-great process
urbanus-china represent!!

many others that i lilke but can't remember

Jan 10, 06 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

I was reading Exodus...or The Voluntary Prisoners of Architecture

this week is Rem's week

Jan 10, 06 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
cynic

you're right, one is not enough:

david adjaye, zumthor, OMA, ito, williams+tsien, lewerentz, aalto, lmvdr, corb, and H&dM

Jan 10, 06 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
cynic

oh....and sauerbruch+hutton

Jan 10, 06 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Albert Frey.

Jan 10, 06 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
brand avenue
dominique perrault
Jan 10, 06 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
mean prank riverbank

jabber:

<so eVo ... does ethnicity or gender make somebody a better architect or worthy of more attention ?

silly me ... i always thought it was the quality of one's work that established one's reputation>

uh, yes. unless you always want it to be a white man's world. it's pretty easy to boost your reputation when everyone around you is giving you promotion. considering the proportion of quality female designers in my design schools, i'd say they're under represented in the profession, even as husband and wife teams.

i'll give you my favorite women and better halves, just for shits:

eileen gray, toshiko mori, lindy roy, merrill elam, billie tsien, patricia patkau, ray eames, brigitte shim, louisa hutton, zaha, dubbledam, farshid moussavi, nathalie de vries...

Jan 10, 06 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
Rebecca Eng

I couldn't say that I have a favourite - there are so many great architects out there, with hundreds of different designs and styles.. I really only know the 'famous' ones but there are so many great designs that have been published in various books and magazines by lesser known firms.

That said, however, I have loved the work of Tadao Ando and Renzo Piano since I started being interested in architecture. I have just been awe-struck by the few of their buildings I have managed to visit.

Jan 10, 06 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
FormuLA

eVo-
by classifying architects as "female" or any other, you are by definition already segregating them, not by the power of their work, but by the prefix assigned. too sad.

having said that, props out to ANYBODY, minorities esp., who can actually get their shit built.

nuff said.

Jan 10, 06 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
badass japanese cookie

snohetta

Jan 10, 06 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
BLK

winka dubbeldam, shes hot
i hope i wrote correct...

Jan 11, 06 7:38 am  · 
 · 
domestic

also

Central Office of Architecture and William Adams

Jan 11, 06 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
babs

my, my -- eVo and jabber and formuLA have a little something interesting going on up there

personally, i don't give a damn about the gender or ethnicity of the designer -- i do give a damn about the degree to which the work is well done, the degree to which it solves the client's program, the degree to which it makes a contribution to the community in which it is built

my own experience -- in school and in practice -- is that our profession is, for the most part, a meritocracy. i find the profession is very open to good work, without undue regard to gender or ethnicity

i find that good ideas are less well received when the individual putting forth those ideas is an arrogant jerk

Jan 11, 06 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
koen froyen

Tadao Ando
Waro Kishi

Jan 15, 06 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
b4g

louis kahn
peter zumthor
steven holl
frank israel
alvaro siza
rick joy

Jan 15, 06 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
andre 101

FUTURE SYSTEMS.
I can't believe nobody mentionned the works of them yet. These people are literally showing us what the architecture of tomorrow will be like.
Plus, I love the name!

Big up to Jan Kaplicky
Totally love him.

Jan 15, 06 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Future Systems! Yes! Nice one. I love their updated Antfarm approach. Ah to live passionately making cool stuff out of a garage until someone who can pay notices...

Jan 15, 06 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
mean prank riverbank

i'm not trying to say that one's work or a work's author should be classified. i'm saying that we should identify the disadvantages that certain parties have and recognize them (the author/their work) in the context within which they practice. in architecture we one pick ONE architect who's the best in the world and stop there. pretty fucking boring. i'm saying we should look around, diversify our interests, and promote those we see doing a good job equally...a little more sambo and rodia, a few fewer ivory towers, please.

Jan 15, 06 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
savvy

Neutra
Niemeyer

Jan 16, 06 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
nathanc

Behnisch Behnisch & Partner

I can't believe they don't get more pub.

Jan 16, 06 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

oh yeah PLOT!!! met one of the guys, pretty cool, pretty young ppl, and full of ambition and good ideas...PLOT is hot right now, and will get even hotter, watch them!!

Jan 17, 06 2:28 am  · 
 · 
Pacific

Prince Charles.

Jan 18, 06 1:53 am  · 
 · 
melivt

rabbits-
it is olafur eliasson

Jan 18, 06 2:14 am  · 
 · 
David Morris

architecture: MVRDV

something new and random: http://www.bouroullec.com/

Jan 18, 06 2:33 am  · 
 · 
kylemiller

international:
1. Morphosis
2. Herzog + de Mueron
3. OMA

young,small:
1. SHoP
2. LTL
3. Pugh + Scarpa

Jul 27, 06 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

Jorn Utzon, Irving Gill, Antonin Raymond, Erich Mendelssohn

Jul 27, 06 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
buffalo fill

Bunshaft
Niemeyer
Mendelsohn

Jul 27, 06 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

I'd hate to be the one stateing the inevitable, but I've gotta say FLW becuause I live in the midwest and I've had a chance to see most of his work in person. Also, after seeing Villa Savoye I think Corb is a genious. I'm also a big fan of H&D, Morphosis, Siza, and Rem Koolhause.

Jul 28, 06 8:23 am  · 
 · 
ryanj

i second the notion that H&dM is kicking everyones ass, and personally I'll Lord Foster to that status.

Jul 28, 06 9:28 am  · 
 · 
harold

Isn't this a bit childish? Didn't we do this when we were in kindergarden, Who is your favorite super hero? I don't know any profession that talks about there favorite .......... Not even the artist don't do that.

Jul 28, 06 10:08 am  · 
 · 

its funny, maybe some computer geeks get off on comparing their geeky super heroes - a la gates, jobs etc.
but other professions dont seem to do it. can you imagine a group of accountants naming their chartered idols...?

Jul 28, 06 10:13 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

As a matter of fact, artists all talk about their favs., even surgeons have their idols they look up to. I think it happens with every profession, maybe its just not as widely talked about.

Jul 28, 06 10:24 am  · 
 · 
thehoule

My current hero is Tony Fretton for his intelligent, economic lack of pretension or fetishism.

I also like Mies, H.H. Richardson, Loos, and Zumthor - I guess I'm a sucker for architectonic solidity.

Jul 28, 06 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
mwolmosp

helumt jahn re: http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=39394_0_42_0_C

Jul 28, 06 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
kylemiller

harold

its an art.

musicians have their influences.
painters have those who influence them.
architects have those who they look up to, to learn from.

Jul 28, 06 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

i like the work too. tony fretton. i didn't know them before. thehoule, thanks for bringing up.

Jul 28, 06 1:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: