Archinect
anchor

Favorite Architect?

madprofessor100

I'm really surprised that there doesn't seem to be a previous post about this...

Who is your favorite architect and why?

Jan 7, 06 1:26 am
swisscardlite

tadao ando

spirituality, feeling you get in his buildings, connection with nature, form

Jan 7, 06 1:45 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

Tadao Ando
Santiago Calatrava

I always wished that my skill set would be a combination off these two.
It would be contradictory tho.

One is simple ... the other is complicated

Jan 7, 06 3:04 am  · 
 · 
6nuew

Rem Koolhaas
also
Herzog&deMeuron

Polar opposites - program vs skin - but I suspect that i have MPD/bipolar disorder so it's not surprising.

also

MVRDV
FOG's subtler works

and retro:
LMVDR

Jan 7, 06 8:17 am  · 
 · 
meta

Louis I. Kahn- the man is a genius with light. has created visually stunning effects on spaces using light with simple box elevations.

Jan 7, 06 8:34 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

abracadabra faia

Jan 7, 06 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Bruce Goff- "Design for the Continuous present" 1904-1982
A True American Architect!

Jan 7, 06 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
Adamus

Richard Neutra

Jan 7, 06 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
aeaa

dead: aalto and kahn
living: ito and zumthor

Jan 7, 06 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
archoholic

I got a big thing.......for Zaha.

Jan 7, 06 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

hugh newell jacobsen ... because his work is elegant, extraordinarily well detailed and oh, such a nice scale

Jan 7, 06 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
haruki

Libeskind is the greatest architect and Karim Rashid is the greatest designer to me. Other favorites include Eric Owen Moss and the Jersey Devils. Jenifer Siegal is the future.

Jan 8, 06 12:25 am  · 
 · 
montu

Piano-
His understanding of the urban condition is above anyone elses.
He is classic and modern without fetishizing either approach.

Jan 8, 06 12:37 am  · 
 · 
bucku

d+s
lebbeus woods

Jan 8, 06 12:45 am  · 
 · 
o+

alberto campo baeza
siza

Jan 8, 06 12:51 am  · 
 · 
Maestro

Albert Speer
Michaelangelo

Jan 8, 06 1:09 am  · 
 · 
thenewold

screw these individual auteur divas and divos. they're propping up an 80 year old bad habit of celebritizing architecture that only reinforces and increases the divide between good architecture and the rest. a system as old and obsolete as southern slavery.

big ups to the architects who work at oma and the rest. they're the real heroes.

Jan 8, 06 1:36 am  · 
 · 
BLK

in my first 2/3 years at school it war Nouvel - after all he is the last real artist-architect-mother f**ker.
From History i guess is Mies v d Rohe

but then i started to see more:
MVRDV, Neutelings, Arroyo, FOA,
and even younger:
Plot, Search, FAT, etc.

It is important not to fall in love with one arch, but to see something in every interresting project

FAT rules! go chek it out

Jan 8, 06 9:42 am  · 
 · 
garpike

How many signatures do you guys have??? Ha, sorry that was sarcasm. We must remember architects are people, not superhumans. As I have gotten older I have found I have no favorite architects, but rather architects whose work I admire. But since we are listing, I'll put down a few that I currently like:

MVRDV
H&DeM ("They are kicking everyone's ass")

And I have secretly held on to Candilis, Josic, and Woods

Jan 8, 06 9:53 am  · 
 · 
file
thenewold

... lighten up, man !

one can admire an architect, or an architect's work, without "reinforcing and increasing the divide between good architecture and the rest"

i happen to believe that the vast majority of us here produce "good architecture" ... that doesn't mean there cannot be a few industry leaders who can be identified as examples, and inspiration, to elevate quality across the board

Jan 8, 06 11:34 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

mmhhh i guess i can admire some works of a lot of ppl and some others not, we cant be doing amazing stuff always...

but i think the office which i can say they're more constant and that actually have my most constant respect its Herzog & deMeuron...

in a theoretical side mmhh i must say im re-discovering the work of Koolhaas since last year....

and there's so many ppl to show respect to, which i wont mention cause they have been already mentioned here and they will (in this post) so H&dM are my pick

Jan 8, 06 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
polipop

campo baeza

Jan 8, 06 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood

Mies van der Rohe, Calatrava, Piano, Grimshaw.

Jan 8, 06 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
bucku

ltl
do what they do with what is given

Jan 8, 06 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

I'm sure the sciarc kids will crucify me for this but whatever. EOM is absolutly my fav. He may be an ass but his work in culver city makes me drool. Namely Slash/backslash and the PS building.

Scarpa would also be up there.

Jan 8, 06 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

DS+R, Rem, H&dM

Jan 8, 06 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
domestic

intellectually i don't really agree with creating a myth around the machine but despite that i find its formal expression extremely pleasurable. my desire tells me i like it but my moral/ethical conscious tells me i shouldn't.

Corb, Iannis Xenakis, lebbus woods, carlo scarpa, thom mayne, wes jones, neil denari

Jan 8, 06 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
Emerson123

Steven Holl, Louis Kahn, Tadao Ando, Shigeru Ban, Sam Mockbee....

Jan 8, 06 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

hejduk

Jan 8, 06 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
MiesvanderRice

I'm up with the b'dine on the DUK!

REPreSENT!!!

Jan 8, 06 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
MiesvanderRice

Plus, people, where's the CORB?

Jan 8, 06 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
TED

hands down: abra, faia -

when was the last time folks like rem [who] made you smile?

clearly marketing/media blitz sells the others. its the same-olds on everyones list.

Jan 8, 06 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
architorturealist

sambo mockbee

Jan 8, 06 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

my fave architect changes every month (though some repeat every now and then)..

lately, a famous portuguese who once said "an architect who gives the people what they want is a demagogue" (as quoted by K. Frampton) is my arch hero... and his not-so-glamorous persona and concern for social housing helps me put him on top of one of my highest pedestals too...

you can easily guess which one it is... (it's been mentioned above)

Jan 9, 06 4:22 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

Howard roark

more than him..I am my favourite architect !

Jan 9, 06 4:31 am  · 
 · 
rabbits

Olafur Eliason.

And Hejduk, Robin Evans, and Gordon Matta-Clark

Jan 9, 06 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
db

Marcel Breuer
Steven Holl

Jan 9, 06 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
quixotica

Buckminster Fuller, Mockbee, Siegal, Woods

Jan 9, 06 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
A

Hands down my favorite architects have been the non-famous ones that have helped me in my education and growth as an architect.

Jan 9, 06 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

mvrdv
sejima is a sentimental fav for me
ito

and i too... love mies... 5 years in crown hall, and i still love that building

Jan 9, 06 4:41 pm  · 
 · 

UN Studio (Ben van Berkel)
they can do blobby, angular and boxy

Jan 9, 06 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
Mahler

irving gill

Jan 9, 06 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
Queen of England

Robert Stern makes me wet.

Jan 9, 06 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
Dazed and Confused

I'm torn between Petey Keating and Antoine Predock - they both made the best they could out of pretentious schools and pretentious names - - - but I'll have to give it to Predock on purity of architecture and the fact that he actuarially had to do it on Earth.

Jan 9, 06 10:58 pm  · 
 · 

Siza, for his use of light, chucky materials, and open spaces

Holl, simply because of how he operated his practice in the early 80s and he's mean with the watercolours - tight

Hadid, because I have a school girl crush on her allure

Jan 9, 06 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
badger

sanna, asymptote, R&Sie

Jan 9, 06 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
rsteath

dewitt clinton for desgning the 1811 manhattan grid

Jan 10, 06 1:04 am  · 
 · 
jh

D&C - be careful with with the pretentious name comment with Predock. talk to some of the people who knew him from albuquerque before he went to columbia and he is known as tony. yeah he changed his name. you don't get a name like antoine when you grow up in the ozarks, you have got to make that shit up.

Jan 10, 06 2:56 am  · 
 · 
mean prank riverbank

abre los ojos, chicos...i never heard so many people say the yankees are their favorite team..

what about baumschlager & eberle? schindler, prouve, luigi moretti, abalos & herreros, mansilla & tunon, sauerbruch & hutton, alejandro de la sota, felix candela, gaudi, heinz isler, otto frei, loos, melnikov, sant'elia...paul rudolph? he built a helluva lot more stuff than kahn.

i guess if this wasn't a list of favorites i would be slamming you guys for never having been to a library or even a book store, but to each his own rem.

i'm glad at least to see neutra, aalto, baeza, siza, mvrdv, zumthor, sejima, breuer, matta-clark, neutelings, hadid...

how about we start a list of female or black architects? something worth sinking our teeth into.

Jan 10, 06 3:26 am  · 
 · 
mean prank riverbank

here are two lists to help you decide who you should be rooting for:

www.baunetz.de/arch/ranking/
www.vitruvio.ch/arc/vario/toparc.php

...reads somewhat like this discussion

Jan 10, 06 3:45 am  · 
 · 
French

Don't know if they are my favorites, but I'd still wish I had a chance to work with Diller and Scofidio while I was trying to find a job in NYC... And I'm still curious about what's going to come out of their current practice. They manage to surprise me regularly, and they do it since I discovered their work in 93...

Jan 10, 06 5:14 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: