Archinect
anchor

Portfolio titles for the non pretentious

thenewold

what are some okay titles to use for portfolios. it's always 'yourname' at work, work, working, etc.... and these are all super pretentious. what have you called your portfolio.

Jan 5, 06 11:24 pm
Gloominati

Most portfolios I see don't have titles.
Of those that do have titles, the most typical seems to be "Your Name:" followed by a date range (in which the enclosed work was presumably completed.)

Jan 5, 06 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
GtHtAu.

i always put:

PORTFOLIO
(your name)

Jan 6, 06 12:40 am  · 
 · 

"Studies in Los Angeles" for my school portfolio. Yeah, I'm probably a pretentious fuck too. Embrace it.

Jan 6, 06 12:42 am  · 
 · 
cypress

Cmon,

Your name and working ...

If that's pretentious ... then shit ... what the fuck

Jan 6, 06 12:56 am  · 
 · 
ihearthepavilion

I would simply put...

"my portfolio"

maybe dates too.. but what does that really say?

Jan 6, 06 1:42 am  · 
 · 
alexan

HELLO

Jan 6, 06 3:42 am  · 
 · 

jes my name on mine...they know it is a portfolio without the label so i don't include it.

not sure where the pretention is in your example...

Jan 6, 06 7:34 am  · 
 · 
arqa

"self defining moment : practicality of the useless..."

"yeah, round two"

"i'm going to sleep now"

Jan 6, 06 7:54 am  · 
 · 
meta

now, i wonder what you have for the coverpage thenewold.

Jan 6, 06 9:21 am  · 
 · 
garpike

"Your Name, [email protected]"

Your name and contact info is all you need. My portfolio has had nothing but my name and email on the cover, and more importantly on the spine, for about 6 years (and many versions). The name sticks out in a stack of pretentious and non-pretentious titles. I would say even the most compelling title just becomes words after 2 seconds. In my opinion "SEX SEX SEX" doesn't stand a chance to a person's name. I feel the portfolio's graphics and materials should be associated with your name.

Jan 6, 06 9:43 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Also, I would argue the dates be left off of the cover. The content will be dated and should be sufficient. I feel the portfolio should be considered final at all times, as if to say "I could die tomorrow and this is my portfolio." Dating the work like some monograph seems a little pretentious to me:

"Some Guy: Work 2002 - 2005"

Hmmm...

Jan 6, 06 9:48 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

My title: The Design Portfolio of Living in Gin*

I then have it subdivided into professional, academic, and personal projects. Each project has its own date, so there's no need for me to put a date on the cover.

* I use my real name instead of "Living in Gin"

Jan 6, 06 10:24 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

"Architectural Progressions and Investigations" - My Portfolio Title...

Jan 6, 06 10:39 am  · 
 · 
4arch
Jan 6, 06 11:00 am  · 
 · 

mine:

Portfolio } My Name

Jan 6, 06 11:03 am  · 
 · 

though "My Name Portfolio" would probably be better...

Jan 6, 06 11:04 am  · 
 · 
Rim Joist

"My Work: At Least No Animals Were Harmed"

Jan 6, 06 11:07 am  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

at Wentworth (where I'm at school), you had to submit a portfolio for review after second-year to get into the BArch program, and I called mine "Architecture and the Self" and wrote an introductory essay. it's the most pretentious thing I've ever written. I always tell people that especially during crits and stuff, half of being an architect(ure student) is being pretentious.. it's not bullshit, because you mean it, but you have to sort of sell yourself and your idea and make people buy it. just curious what people's thoughts are.

Jan 6, 06 11:16 am  · 
 · 
Rim Joist

Ahh, yes, Frank... I, too, recall recounting in writing for the board my own perfect condition, beginning with my sublime Froebel-block-like childhood experiences...

Jan 6, 06 11:29 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra

"Architectural Progressions and Investigations"

be careful man. sounds a bit like a FBI or something. hence, a troublemaker. abracadabra, faia wouldn't mind, but there are some real paranoid firms in the field. ;)

Jan 6, 06 11:43 am  · 
 · 
Emerson123

"My Name: A Collection of Work"

Jan 6, 06 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
Josh Emig

I'm surprised this thread hasn't derailed into silliness yet.

Jan 6, 06 12:30 pm  · 
 · 

thenewold's greates hits: Designs by thenewold for the betterment of all.

Jan 6, 06 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
Rim Joist

"Burning Sensations: Does This Look Infected To You?"

Jan 6, 06 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

"My favorite projects... until about a year from now when new ones take their places, and I am slightly embarrassed by the old, once favorites - a.k.a. these projects."

Jan 6, 06 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

the abstraction of clamidia: it is not a flower
everyone who gazed upon my portfolio was awestruck by the sheer power off it's genius

Jan 6, 06 4:26 pm  · 
1  · 
liberty bell

This is actually a great thread for Friday afternoon, which (sadly? thankfully?) is almost over.

Liberty Bell - My Portfolio: Hire Me or I'll Burn the Place Down

Jan 6, 06 4:45 pm  · 
1  · 
strlt_typ
the abstraction of clamidia: it is not a flower

explain the genius...please

Jan 6, 06 4:47 pm  · 
1  · 
strlt_typ
Dammson - Portfolio - 1998-2005

with this kind of look...

Jan 6, 06 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
Rim Joist

Liberty -- reminds me of the National Lampoon gun-to-a-puppy's-head "Buy Our Magazine Or We'll Shoot This Dog" cover...

Jan 6, 06 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

dammson, serifs are back? Oh man.

Jan 6, 06 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

But shooting puppies, that's mean!!

Jan 6, 06 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
JAG

"Things my Teachers Made me do in School"

Jan 6, 06 5:01 pm  · 
1  · 
liberty bell

garpike yours is actually hilarious and true - my most recent portfolios (academic and professional are separate collections in my world) are currently stuffed into a storage bin with various detritus from my old office desk - and at one time they were such precious objects! Now I look through them and think how embarassing it all is.

However, I will say this: neither one of them is "titled".

Jan 6, 06 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

garpike,

I haven't forgotten about the rem video...I have it encoded...gmail at work is not letting me send files (norton)...

serifs are the new lime green...

Jan 6, 06 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

HOW ABOUT:

Johnny B can't hold his beer?

Get your ass up to NY duder.

Jan 6, 06 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

i usually put someone elses name on the cover of my portfolio

Jan 6, 06 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Abracadabraprolly:

Yeah, I had some other small quotations in my resume / portfolio aimed at testing the limits of professional / casual commentary.

The way I see it, if you're looking into working at a small office (less than 10) with a young environment, casual humor sometimes is the selling point. If any partner gets their under garments in a wad over some small jokes in my portfolio, i'd probably choose not to work there.

I actually had one office comment on how they liked how I listed my favorite music and my hobbies.

TheNewOld:

Just put something along the lines of "Don't forget to bring a towel" on the cover.

Jan 6, 06 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
Rim Joist

I usually include a few favorite recipes...

Jan 6, 06 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

does anyone put their archinect screen name on their portfolio???

Jan 6, 06 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
Rim Joist

ya know I did, but people thought it was a smut magazine.

Jan 6, 06 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

a collection of butt joint designs...

Jan 6, 06 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
AP

nice JAG. that sounds about right...

Jan 7, 06 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
guiggster

Guiggster: Erections 2000-2005

Jan 7, 06 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
ichweiB

"Shit Happens"

Jan 8, 06 12:10 am  · 
 · 
ichweiB

"Shit Happens"

Jan 8, 06 12:10 am  · 
 · 
Suture

how about

"LOOK AT ME!!!! I am better than you"

Jan 8, 06 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
Dazed and Confused

"selected examples of how I will make you money and enable your ego"

Jan 8, 06 4:19 pm  · 
1  · 
rsteath

What about definitions? Like breaking the word portfolio down to its origins. and I see that kind of thing a lot in presentations, essays, programs etc... A good way for one to abase themselves and get to the root of what its all saying and where the work is trying to go. Puts the "me" thing out of it. Dates too are good,but if there's no theme or title I agree to it as a no-no. Let'say there is a theme or "departure" and the date kinda envelopes it all, or maybe vice-versa. But all-in-all, they show your style at the time and then you look back and say "Wow, five years is a lot of time to put together an unpretentious portfolio"

Jan 8, 06 11:50 pm  · 
 · 
Sean Taylor

"My Portfolio: groin vaults and such"

Jan 9, 06 12:16 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: