Archinect
anchor

BArch and MArch - Archi Degree Pathways

ryoisa

Hi there,

I've been really confused as to how it would differ if you take a BA or BSc for architecture vs taking the BArch. I'm aware that the BArch would typically take longer - 5 years and that the BA/BSc usually takes 3 years. 

If I take the BA/BSc, would I have to continue to take any exams to allow me to qualify as a practising architect?

If I'm not clear, please don't hesitate to ask me to clarify what I mean.

Thank you.

Dec 13, 11 7:07 am
architectrix

Hi, Ryoisa

The BArch is a first professional degree, meaning that in most states you are able to go from graduation to IDP and then sit your exams.  They are longer programs because they have to meet NCARB and NAAB established standards as well as normal college accreditation standards.

Th BA/BSc is NOT a first professional degree, so afterward you would have to go get masters level first professional degree (usually an MArch I) in order to enter IDP and sit exams.

Cheers

Dec 15, 11 6:03 pm  · 
 · 

Yup, there're two paths gaining the education before licensed, taking a 5-year B.Arch or taking a BSc/BA+MArch 1.

Dec 16, 11 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
ryoisa

Thank you for the clarification! 

Jan 16, 12 2:01 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: