Archinect
anchor

What not to miss in a few hours in Amsterdam

c.k.

I'm going to Europe and I'll have a day in between planes to spend in Amsterdam.

Thanks for any suggestions (architectural or otherwise)

Dec 27, 05 9:50 pm
a-f

Some stuff in the vicinity of the trainstation:

Borneo/Sporenburg - West8 (urban plan) + projects by several other offices
Piraeus - Kolhoff
Silodam - MVRDV
Fietsenstalling - VMX
Beurs - Berlage
ARCAM - van Zuuk
Post CS (temporary facilities for the contemporary art museum, great view of the city from the top floor)
Nemo - Piano

Dec 28, 05 4:07 am  · 
 · 
Helsinki

the there's the Holl building - an addition with the perforated copper skin. Looks like a watercolour.

Dec 28, 05 5:17 am  · 
 · 
NIAM.

Muziekgebouw / bimhuis - 3xNielsen is a nice addition and also very close to the central trainstation

Dec 28, 05 9:33 am  · 
 · 
brand avenue
kadinsky
Dec 28, 05 9:47 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

nemo for a great view of amsterdam's skyline

Dec 28, 05 11:57 am  · 
 · 
brickhouse

the vermeer's at the rijksmuseum

Dec 28, 05 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
AP

rent a bike at the train station to make the most of your time. You can always lock it up if you wanna walk instead, but to see the Borneo/Sporenburg, and some of the other stuff (like Museumplein), a bike is the way to go, like the Dutch.

I second everything above. Nemo, however, is a kids museum, and although it's fun, if you only have a day, spend you museum time more wisely. I like the VanGogh Museum. The Rijks is great too. There's a place called the Soup Kitchen near the station (to the right a few blocks from the entrance), near the infamous Bob's Youth Hostel (which takes no reservations, only walk-ins, if you need a place to stay the night). I think about that place all the time. When I was there most recently, I must have eaten lunch there every other day (alternating with Falafel). MMMMMMFalafel.

have a great time. Eat a space cake.

Dec 28, 05 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

yeah don't go inside Nemo...just go on the roof...

Dec 28, 05 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

I like the Smoking Bull. Great coffee.

Also be sure to see De Klerk's stuff in Spaarndammerbuurt. No continuous surfaces and I don't think he diagrammed anything, but his brickwork is sick.

Dec 28, 05 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
Manu Bar

I suggest you the Van Gogh's museum and walk around the Dam ( main square of Amsterdam). Ask for a frites in any of the streets vendors and if you like to make a relax stop on your journey, get inside a cousy coffe shop (find a nice one is the real difficult, cause all of them are kind of jamaican fake style) and ask for the menu...

Dec 29, 05 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

There is this freeky, green fiberglass facad by AVL on a gallery in the Jordan that I stumbled upoon once and could never find again.

If anyone knows where that is

Dec 30, 05 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
a-f

newstreamlinedmodel:

The AVL project is in Bloemstraat.

Jan 2, 06 4:06 am  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

Right, there you go. If you’ve never had your mind blown by the unheimlich-idilic weirdness of a hairy mail slot now is your chance.

Jan 2, 06 9:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: